1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
OMG What a great little car
By jobfisher on 12/31/12 20:00 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought my first 1996 nissan sentra GXE about 5 years ago.....for about $3500. It has been the best car that I have owned. Went everywhere and without complaint. took the best care of my baby. could fit both of my tall sons in the back with room. When i finally blew a head gasket last week I considered getting something else but my car guy said that he had the same make and model just 2 years newer and for under $2000.00 he would take my old and give me new.....I took it. My son wanted me to get a volvo that he had on the lot but I saw the 98 and it was not even an option. I had to have the nissan. Now I have my baby 2.0. My car guy will fix the 96 and sell it for a profit. WIN WIN!!!

GREAT, RELIABLE CAR
By sentrauser on 10/26/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I am original owner of a 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE and have put 180,000 miles on it over the past 11 years (I was 21). Back seat is tight, but have used this car going back and forth to school and work (45 minutes each way every day) for a long time and have hardley had any work done to it. Recently replaced the starter and alternator and the body needs help around the tires, but I DEFINITELY got my money's worth and believe it would still last another few years if I got the rust fixed. I'm sad to see it go, now that I'm looking to trade it in for a bigger, more family-friendly vehicle. My husband even wishes he purchased a similar vehicle years ago instead of his fancy Chrysler Sebring.

Great Car
By macali on 11/03/08 13:41 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Sentra GXE brand new. This car has taken a lot of beating, lots of harsh/snowy winters. Drove in the mountains OH-MD 8 times/year in its early years for 4 years. No major maintenance issues, brakes 1x, oil changes, the oil seal replaced at 60k miles, 2 sets of tires replaced. It still runs great, very good mileage, highway, city. They don't make cars like this anymore, extremely RELIABLE! If I had the opportunity I will buy it again. My car has low miles and all the mechanics tell me is in mint condition especially since it has low miles. They tell me they have seen them in the 120K miles and still running great. I hope to keep mind till it dies.

Why don't they still make them like this?
By Royale W. Cheese on 04/26/08 21:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This has been a fantastic vehicle since I bought it in late 04. Bought it at 90k or so, no problems at 137k. The only issues I have had from it were the ones I discovered on leaving the used car lot: an oil leak from the main seal and some electrical issues that the previous owner tried to fix himself. Those have been the only things I have had to fix or have fixed since driving the vehicle, apart from oil and brakes. It got over 40 mpg highway when "new"; now it is closer to 30 mpg, but still not bad. Plenty of power for driving in hilly areas, AC blows cold enough for this Alabamian (in Seattle), hauls LOTS of stuff. Very solid little car.

1998 Sentra GXE been a great car
By mab on 04/15/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

155,000 miles and I've only needed to put 4 tires, 4 plugs, oil and gas. It is a great commuter car, tough on the body for really long rides though. Works great for my family of four. No ABS makes it a little tricky on snowy stops. It's been a great car over the it's ten years of use... more reliable than my other new vehicle.

Easy Maintenance & Great Mileage!
By Lucas on 12/07/06 05:22 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We recently bought this car for my wife to drive. It needed a bit of work, but turns out the car is very easy to work on yourself, and the parts generally cost less then most (mainly because of popularity of the car). I really appreciated the diagnostic computer that you can use without any of the special hook up tools to figure out what that pesky check engine light really means. The car does have some weird vibration noises at times, but we got use to them, and the previous owner (friend) has heard them all along. Great Gas millage as well!!! We get close to 38 on the highway, which is better then my friend gets with his brand new Honda Civic

Nice Starter Car
By Kady on 06/21/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This car was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was that when having more than 2 people in the car, it didn't like going up hills. I live in Upstate NY where everything is a hill, so when driving with my friends, I had to floor it to get going at a good speed. But I really like this car. It's easy to drive and is very reliable

Very Nice First Car
By Brina on 11/11/05 17:20 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Well we have had this car for over a year now and bought it used. I liked the styling and the interior is more roomy then the newer models 2002 and above. The only problems with is is of course the oil changes and breaks but lets see the alternator,battery and starter. Could have been because we upgraded the stereo system with amp and sub without upgrading those first.oh yeah and the front axles but my husband does deliver pizzas in the hot Arizona desert. other then that the cost has not been that much and it drives much better then my moms 2002. I would highly recommend this car for the first time buyer or for the college student.

Great basic car
By MaryB on 06/29/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a reliable car with many comforts. The air conditioning still functions after 7 years, as do the power windows and locks. Maintenance has been minimal - brakes and exhaust - about what you would expect. I will probably buy another Sentra when this one goes to the auto graveyard.

Not a happy camper
By carrotshibby on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Sentra Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

i know how to take care of a vehicle. no matter what i did though this car gave me trouble. the engine went out without warning at 94000 miles. ive spent 2000 dollars besides that in the last 6 months in upkeep alone. it is very slow, small and uncomfortable on long trips.