2011 Nissan Leaf Consumer Review: Outstanding So Far

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Review

Outstanding So Far
By jsgenc on

2011 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Just picked up my Leaf a few days ago and I've put several 100 miles on it already. I'm hooked. It's a remarkable car in many ways. Quiet, smooth, surprisingly powerful and nimble, and cool as all heck. It is not a toy or part-time car by any stretch of the imagination. So long as you understand its limitations, you will use it all the time. I rarely drive more than 80 to 100 miles in a day so it is perfect for me and my family's needs. It's excellent for commuting to work. It is great for running errands and schleping kids around. If you are someone who regularly drives more than 80 to 100 miles per day, do not get a Leaf. If not, check it out now.

Favorite Features

No gasoline and no tailpipe emissions. What could be better. It drives silently and smoothly and has surprising pep. The low center of gravity gives it the feel of a much more substantial car when cornering and maneuvering around town. The creature comforts are solid given the price (after rebates) including...decent stereo with XM/Sirius; reliable bluetooth hook up, sufficient AC (although it uses up precious battery charge if you're not careful); excellent Navi and in-car computer with lots of cool data. The rebate program offered by feds and states are remarkable. They make going electric and easy choice for first movers like me.

Suggested Improvements

If they can get this car up to a 200 mile range per charge, they will change the world. For now, they are at least rocking the world for those of us who don't need more range. Great first effort by Nissan for sure. A leather interior option would be nice. And of course, more charging stations around the nation. I know it's early but I'm impatient. Right now, the infrastructure is weak. Hopefully that will change as more people take the plunge.