2006 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Great truck, BUT...
By emg8160 on 08/04/14 20:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Frontier from an individual via Craigslist with 108k miles. I loved it for the 2 months I could drive it. Then, the tranny went out. Come to find out, this is common and Nissan never issued a recall. I found someone local who would install a re-manufactured tranny and new radiator (included all labor and fluids) for $4,000. I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my truck back because their "parts people" from Chicago had originally gotten the wrong parts number for the tranny and are now waiting for a solenoid so they can complete the rebuild... I am now in the position that (if I ever get the truck back) I have more in it than it's worth so I HAVE to drive it now...

Mixed Feelings
By kevymckev on 02/01/13 17:25 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr King Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been the sole owner of my 06' SE Frontier since it rolled off the lot in July of 06'. The truck had a great V6 power & solid comfort and excellent affordability.My opinion changes after a serious accident with this truck. The key benefit was how well this truck absorbed a major collision. The truck immediatly lowered and reduced the impact i felt..preventing serious injury on my part. I love this truck for that.I have lost 100 miles to the tank of gas. Pre-Accident i was getting 350 miles per tank. Now i only get a meager 250. The power of my V6 has been reduced drastically.I have also replaced the battery 4 times with this truck. Only 100,000 miles on it.This truck had potential

Avoid NISSAN!
By cghoffpauir on 10/25/12 08:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed. We had it towed to the dealership and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00. We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00. So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the “defect” and knows exactly what to do to repair it.

The Last Nissan I'll ever buy!!!
By ineedatoyota12 on 09/27/12 18:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My engine light came on at 93K miles. I took it to the dealer they said they had to replace the catalytic convertor that cost me about 1K dollars. Within a week I’m driving down the road and loose power. I can’t go any faster than 20 or so mph and my engine light never even comes on. I should have marked my cat because it sounds like to me they never replaced it. How can a new cat fowl out that quick? Even if I was burning pure oil it would take longer than that to get blocked.

2006 Nissan Frontier
By aolaniesene on 02/07/11 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a Nissan because we believed in it's superior quality. We believed that we would have a truck that would easily last us 10 years. However, after just 4 years - and almost nearing to paying off this truck's loan - we experienced what other forums show is a common manufacturer defect. At high mileages, Frontiers may experience a break in its radiator, causing coolant to mix in with transmission liquid. Even though we have been excellent Nissan clients, bringing in our Nissan for regular servicing to ensure it lasts long...we've been hit by this defect. So, the non-reward for taking care of our truck is having recently paid approx. $6k..

Transmission mismatch
By porsche on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl. has little power, the truck weighs a lot. the gearing is poor for the engine powerband, gears are to tall, shifting puts you too low in the next gear/lugging badly. if the trans had 6 gears instead of five it may work. gas mileage at 20-21 mpg is poor for such a gutless power-plant. get the 6 cyl. and power is great and you will get 18-19 mpg.

Overall I love this truck
By Seth on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for nearly two years. I bought the truck with only 15,000 miles on it, and I now have 55,000 miles on it. The only repair I have had done to it was the timing chain tensioners/guides, but they were covered under warranty without question. In my opinion that was a poor design. However, everything else on the truck is perfect. I replaced the BF Goodrich tires with Michelin ltx ms tires because I do not drive off road. I hear people complain about gas mileage, but I get 17.5 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. In my opinion that is excellent for a truck with this much horsepower. The handling is excellent, I drive 50 miles daily on paved mountain roads and I love the handling.

2.5 L gutless wonder
By porsche habit on 08/14/10 01:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The most BASIC/cheapest xe, 4 cyl. Engine and trans are not a good match. Power and torque below 2500 rpm is terrible. Gas mileage with gas here in Hawaii is only 21 mpg. But again our fuel is 10% ethanol so straight gas would give you about 10% better average, so that would be about 23 mpg. It is a very heavy truck so the 4 cyl. Has to work hard and the mileage shows. The gear ratios are wrong, you have to wind it out or when you upshift it bogs down badly. A six speed would be more appropriate. Drives well, good brakes, BASIC interior, great reliability, good value for the buck. My friends with the same truck but 6 cyl. Love the power they got on tap but 6 cyl. Mileage is only 18 mpg.

Rides sporty & hauls great
By ZLOVER on 08/01/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier LE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

LE with sunroof, automatic. Every option except limited slip,which with all the low end torque will squeal off the line too easily.My other car is a 350Z roadster. Bought with 50k and now at 85.000 miles. Using synthetic oil. Zero repairs and same tires.Will need brakes soon.Hit from behind while stopped by a Honda suv at 30 mph. Honda destroyed. Need a bumper and tailgate.

Great Truck 2006 CREW 4.0 2 WD
By wayne on 07/23/10 13:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive about 13k miles a year, bought used last year from original owner. It had 50,000 miles when I got it, it has now 67,000. Just put new front brakes on last month. Put new tires on yesterday. Original BF Goodrich long trails had 67k miles. I mainly use to commute to work, we do live in Fla and own a 3,500 lb boat that I pull a lot on the weekends. Pulls with no problem. Good truck if you don't mind the smaller cab and not much of a back seat. Overall, I have not had one problem. Just make sure cab has enough room for you. I was used to driving a Tundra.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.