Used 2006 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great truck, BUT...
By emg8160

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Frontier from an individual via Craigslist with 108k miles. I loved it for the 2 months I could drive it. Then, the tranny went out. Come to find out, this is common and Nissan never issued a recall. I found someone local who would install a re-manufactured tranny and new radiator (included all labor and fluids) for $4,000. I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my truck back because their "parts people" from Chicago had originally gotten the wrong parts number for the tranny and are now waiting for a solenoid so they can complete the rebuild... I am now in the position that (if I ever get the truck back) I have more in it than it's worth so I HAVE to drive it now...

The body style is very cool looking. I arctic white is a great color. The bed hooks can be moved to accommodate for most things I'm hauling. The truck has incredible power/towing capacity for it's size. Although many knock it for it's bland/plastic interior design, I think it's rather sleek and pretty comfortable. The gas mileage is very good too. It's really too bad I had to endure this terrible transmission problem... I was considering another Nissan product for my wife to drive, but now I won't even give it a second thought.

Nissan should have done the right thing and issued a recall on the transmission/ radiator issue when it first became apparent. Instead, they ignored it and many people are paying for it. I will not buy another Nissan product. Period.

Mixed Feelings
By kevymckev

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr King Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been the sole owner of my 06' SE Frontier since it rolled off the lot in July of 06'. The truck had a great V6 power & solid comfort and excellent affordability.My opinion changes after a serious accident with this truck. The key benefit was how well this truck absorbed a major collision. The truck immediatly lowered and reduced the impact i felt..preventing serious injury on my part. I love this truck for that.I have lost 100 miles to the tank of gas. Pre-Accident i was getting 350 miles per tank. Now i only get a meager 250. The power of my V6 has been reduced drastically.I have also replaced the battery 4 times with this truck. Only 100,000 miles on it.This truck had potential

Avoid NISSAN!
By cghoffpauir

2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed. We had it towed to the dealership and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00. We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00. So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the ďdefectĒ and knows exactly what to do to repair it.

However one of the parts needed MUST be ordered from Nissan. So he ordered it, we waited two weeks when it came in it was damaged damaged and couldnít be used. So the owner of the shop called Nissan and reported the damaged part and was told that a new one would be sent out and when he received the new one to return the damaged one and that we should receive the new one in seven to ten days. That conversation was on 10/3/2012. Last week (10/17/2012) he called to check on the part because he hasnít received it yet and was told they are on backorder now and they canít give him a ship date.

He was told that there are 27 on backorder and in that list we are number 10 that it could be seven to ten days or it could be a month. WOW such wonderful customer service! I will never buy another Nissan product and I will make sure that everyone I know or who ever will listen won't buy a Nissan either.

The Last Nissan I'll ever buy!!!
By ineedatoyota12

2006 Nissan Frontier XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My engine light came on at 93K miles. I took it to the dealer they said they had to replace the catalytic convertor that cost me about 1K dollars. Within a week Iím driving down the road and loose power. I canít go any faster than 20 or so mph and my engine light never even comes on. I should have marked my cat because it sounds like to me they never replaced it. How can a new cat fowl out that quick? Even if I was burning pure oil it would take longer than that to get blocked.

Saves me gas because I'm not able to drive it.

Learn from Toyota.

2006 Nissan Frontier
By aolaniesene

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a Nissan because we believed in it's superior quality. We believed that we would have a truck that would easily last us 10 years. However, after just 4 years - and almost nearing to paying off this truck's loan - we experienced what other forums show is a common manufacturer defect. At high mileages, Frontiers may experience a break in its radiator, causing coolant to mix in with transmission liquid. Even though we have been excellent Nissan clients, bringing in our Nissan for regular servicing to ensure it lasts long...we've been hit by this defect. So, the non-reward for taking care of our truck is having recently paid approx. $6k..

...for a new radiator & transmission. Beware. Favorite features: Used to be our favorite that this was a Nissan. Our hope and trust in the Nissan brand - because of this experience - has diminished significantly.

We recommend that Nissan take a good long hard look at inspecting & testing their vehicles before selling them on the market. Don't sell a vehicle that consumers think will last a long time, but ends up cutting them short. And please don't offer a recall that applies to vehicles that "may experience a radiator crack @ high mileages," but only allow the recall to apply to vehicles of 80,000miles or less. This is very contradictory & completely not in favor of winning return clientele.