2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Disappointed!
By optimistic2 on 01/04/13 20:35 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Less than four months into my first new car and I'm finally fed up. It's time for me to move on. I have been to my local Nissan dealer on four occasions addressing my concerns of interior rattles. I noticed a rattling sound coming from the steering column at low speeds on smooth pavement and I expressed concerns over a potential loose transverse bolt. I was informed my vehicle wasn't affected and to not be concerned. The rattle persisted and I was turned away twice more with no answer. So I recorded the sound and was told they didn't hear the sound when they drove it. They did manage to replace my squeaky rattling sun visor with a squeaky rattly visor. It feels like a $25,000 joke!

Looks great but some problems
By speedy52 on 01/03/13 12:49 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had a 2010 altima that avg 31 mpg. Purchased new 2013 altima avg 33 mpg. Passenger seat vibrates when empty, also seatbelt hitting against seat. Brought in for sevice dealer said seatbelt causing noise and there is no fix yet. Driving home from service the red brake light goes on. Too busy to bring in light has come on two times since. Wish I waited until 2014 altima model to come out. Have 8k on car now but wondering about nissan built quality.

Noisy Tranny
By radar22 on 01/03/13 05:55 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just returned from a 2500 mile trip to Fl and while mileage was not as good as my 10 Camry and not as good as expected, I still averaged 37 interstate driving. Fell in love with the seats and was able to get out of the car after 2 or more hours of driving feeling relaxed. Can't believe they can make that much difference. Have read all comments about this vehicle and agree with most, positive and negative. Noise issue with power steer whistle was finally resolved after complaining numerous times. Unfortunately not the transmission noise which is annoying. Service tech says its due to trying to get max gas mileage. If that's the case they missed their mark. Have buyers remorse due to this!

Awesome car!
By nvnj on 12/27/12 15:22 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just purchased my 2013 Altima 2.5 SL and I can not get over just how beautiful this car looks and drives. The interior is hands down one of the best i have seen. I was between the Altima and the new Accord (test drove both) and decided on the ultima. It gets a little better gas mileage and the interior of the Altima looked and felt much better than the Accord. The Altima is a ALOT of car for the money. I encourage anyone considering a mid-size family sedan to test drive the Accord and Altima. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

CAVIAT EMPTOR(let the buyer beware)
By atglass2 on 12/24/12 09:41 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned my 2013 Altima 2.5 SV for just 1 month and already I have had to take the car back to the dealer 3 times for the same issue. The issue being engine Lugging noise and vibration on light throttle acceleration from a stop at around 1500 RPM. The lugging is caused by the extremely low RPMs of engine. I have filed a complaint with Nissan Customer Care (1 800 647 7261 and was aqssigned a Regional Specialist to handle my case. According to the specialist, Nissan is trying a serpentine belt and tensioner swap. Last week, the belt swap did not alleviate my problem. The issue could be corrected with a CVT reprogram offered to those owners that are sensitive to the noise and vibration.

Please Read Before Buying
By paul_ss454 on 12/16/12 14:40 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima based on my experience with a 2005 Nissan Altima that I drove for the past 7 years. It was a 2.5 liter with a 5 speed manual transmission. It was extremely fun to drive, good on gas and proved to be very reliable. Unfortunately, it was totaled in an accident and I quickly needed to replace. It came as a surprise that Altima’s were now only offered with a CVT transmission. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and bought the car with the CVT because I really liked every other aspect of the vehicle. I now have deep regret about the purchase because of the driving characteristics of the CVT. It is a shame because the rest of the car is outstanding.

Nice Looking, Noisy Car
By dcwjr on 12/13/12 06:53 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having driven the 2013 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 5,000 miles now I have some things to say. I have taken the car back to the dealer to address some issues. They are as follows: 1) Acceleration through 1,400 rpms is rough, the transmission seems to struggle creating a noticeable rumbling/vibrating sound which you can hear in the car. The dealer says that is normal for the 4 cyl. 2) The power steering assist motor is loud and you can hear a whirring sound inside the car. The dealer says that is normal. 3) Sitting at a stop light the car sometimes vibrates and shakes not violently but enough to notice. I drove a 2009 Altima SL 4 cyl. for 3 years and loved its smooth ride so much I was sold on the new model’s better looks but now I miss the 2009’s smooth ride. The gas milage is better and it does ride smooth under and over the 1,400 rpm range. One mechanic suggested I use premium gas to alleviate the vibration/rumbling around 1,400 rpm but that did not help. The issues above take away from the positive features of the car. For Nissan the issues above should be unacceptable and should be fixed.

3rd Altima and the Best
By flightnurse on 12/09/12 07:50 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As the title says, this is our 3rd Altima and by far the best. We have 3400 miles on the car and have taken a trip in the car and are still amazed on the overall design, and comfort this car has. The MPG has been stealer, combined we are averaging 33, and on our trip to California we got 38 on the highway. No trips to the dealer and no mechanical problems.

Transmission failure early
By piedmontman on 11/29/12 14:26 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Transmission failed after 4 months of ownership and chest after 5000 miles. Started slipping on the highway and then completely failed. Engine light came on which owners manual says is a exhaust emissions problem. Now waiting for repair. I then have to make the 800 mile round trip in take time off from work to pick it up once it is fixed.Nissan will not transport. Transmission died over holiday weekend on the way to visit family.

Unreliable car and customer service
By lilen on 11/28/12 18:02 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a brand new 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV The "red" break light came on within 125 miles, I took to Nissan service station where they said a minor problem " one of the electrical plug was loosely fitted but no mechanical defects - safe to drive". Trusting him I took the vehicle and started driving where the break light came on intermittently, repeated in 500 miles, on top of that the phone error window totally blocked the GPS. Luckily, I was driving in a known street where GPS was not necessary but imagine if driving would be in a busy unknown place. I brought the car to the service station where the senior mechanic told me that it was a software problem, which needs to be upgraded.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Nissan Altima in WA is:

$190 per month*