Used 2012 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Our second Altima
By W Lawrence

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So far, this has been a very good car. We have had zero problems with it and it is fun to drive. We have had dealer maintenance on it from the beginning, substantially following the Nissan manual recommendations. The driver position is very comfortable (power seat) and I have driven it on long trips very comfortably. The front passenger seat (not power), however, is not comfortable for long trips. It is set too low and my wife finds it very hard on her back. Overall I really enjoy this car and plan to drive it for a long time to come.

My fourth Nissan
By Kelly B

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car used with only 12k miles. I have had it for two years. The drive is solid and there is nothing fancy about it. Hate the interior. Seats hang onto dog hair for dear life. Random pieces of plastic are found floating around the interior (figured out where two of them belong but can't get them back on the place they should be). The cloth on the rear passenger door handle has come off and will need an upolstery person to fix it. The interior is very cheap feeling and looking. I am the type that buys a vehicle and drives it until the wheels fall off but have arranged for my husband to take this one off my hands until my son starts to drive. My next car will be a Mazda or Honda.

Test Drive at Nite A Must!
By Sarah

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

In all the cars I've owned, never would I have thought to test-drive at nite to check the visibility in a car for the headlights. Wish I would've. As much as I like my 2013 Altima, the headlights suck! Like one of the reviews, you really can't see past 100-150 feet ahead of you and going faster than 60mph....is tough when you're not familiar with the roads unless you are following someone! I'm looking into purchasing road lamps. That should help, but it's ridiculous! Don't buy this car or any until you test-drive at nite. And the car was steering and pulling like when you're on the frwy in those grooves....even when you're not. Talk about increasing the play of the traction/steering when you're in the rain on the freeway! No time to relax and drive.....had to take the car into Mossy for them to repair and they couldn't figure it out and Temecula Nissan was able to correct the issue. Don't ask what it was as I forget sadly but I'm sure the mister remembers. Each car is like a kid, even tho they come from the same parents just like twins, they are all different so be sure to test drive the car you want to buy before buying and test drive at nite too on a road/frwy you aren't familiar with and read the reviews. You'd swear the poor visibility of my headlights was due to the plastic cover being 10 years old and needs polishing but that's NOT the case. Good luck and hopefully Nissan will read these reports and no that there is a valid and legitamate issue with these headlights! Otherwise, yes I like my car!

Give me back my Honda.
By Robert

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

If you're considering an Altima, specifically a V6 model, check out other offerings by Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Hyundai, Ford, or even Chrysler/Dodge. I bought my Altima certified pre-owned with 16000 miles on the clock. I enjoyed and loved the car since it had every feature and option available. Well at about 18000 miles when I brought it in to the dealership for numerous rattles while driving. Not too long after that, the car started to shudder when taking off after a stop, as well as hesitating. I took it back to the dealership where they said that the transmission was defective and had to be replaced, at 20000 miles. The car seemed to drive fine for a while but then, it started getting horrible gas mileage and hesitating again along with my brake light flashing and my traction control light illuminating. Took it back again at 22500, which they said my master cylinder was bad, brake booster was bad, and the car had a bad head gasket which was causing the coolant to leak into 2 cylinders causing them to misfire. Also, it had a bad motor mount and the exhaust had a leak. They replaced and repaired everything under warranty. Drove it until about 29000 miles and the replacement transmission started to shudder and hesitate again, as well as making a loud whining noise from 3000 rpm to redline. Took it back and the dealership said the replacement transmission had an internal failure again and needed to be replaced. Now for the pros of this ultra reliable crap mobile: the seats are comfortable, the ride is pretty smooth when it wants to be, and when the car isn't having any issues, the acceleration is great. Better than any car I've owned. But I'd gladly sacrifice some features this car has to go back to my trusty V6 Accord. Too bad it can't happen, since I'm upside down on this Altima.

I overall like my car
By Shaquille

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I think the car kind of depends on where you get your car from. If you get it from a crappy dealer who has like 3 or 4 owners then i wouldnt get it. I got my car at 62k (it was a rental, Igot it from Hertz car sales.) I am not at 85k and all I chaaged was wheel barons and oil changes on the regular. I drive about 300-380 miles a week thats just a guess. I drive alot and i love this car, I have no complaints. I love acceleration, push start and keyless entry. Great features for a a weaker model i fill up my tank on sunday and i dont fill up again until friday....... So the gas mileage is good to me, its roomy and i have great trunk space. This is a great car for young adults..