1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Love this SUV like no other!
By gayle and mike on 08/11/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

When we bought our first Montero in 1989 we were so thrilled with everything about it! People would actually stop us and ask what type of vehicle it was. Unfortunately, a few years later we were involved in an accident which totaled our beloved SUV. Remarkably we suffered not one injury...the car was amazing in how it protected us. Ended up with our 91 immediately after. We still have this car and we are now giving it to our 16 year old son to drive to school. Have had no problems EVER with this vehicle. Today we had new shocks put on and a new stabilizer bar. All windows, ac, original radio etc. are all still working fine. Had a problem with the horn once...will drive this Monty to her death!

I love my Montero!
By Safari Woman on 07/03/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Well 151K miles later and she's still running. The A/C quit last week (bad in Florida) and the blinkers stopped blinking yesterday. I bought her in 2002 w/ 102K. I've just had so much fun, I'd love to keep her running forever. I actually got upset that I had to start shelling out some money for repairs in 2004, but DUH..it had 120K and was 13 yrs by then! Sadly I think her time is nearing. In the 6 years of ownership, I only had it not start on me ONCE! Geez what am I thinking, why am I considering a new vehicle? I love this SUV. Oh yeah I remember now, it's not cheap to get them fixed!

when SUV's were worth something
By old school 4x4 on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

after owning many 4x4's, this 91 monty is my favorite of all of them. it's unpretentious, get-down-to- business approach and style are the best. it's everything the newer "gen- x" SUV's (like the Xterra, etc) wanna be. amazingly reliable. 4x4 system is unstoppable. this winter i have pulled an explorer & two blazers out of the snow, and last summer my LAND ROVER GOT STUCK IN THE MUD & the monty pulled it out! the air ride drivers seat is great on my back, and the cargo and cabin area make anything do- able and haulable. manual transmission makes it fun and less sluggish. up to 33" tires can fit without modifications!

Life in the Box
By full monty on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Have enjoyed 2.5 years with a LS Montero. This is one of the few import vehicles that has enough interior room where I feel comfortable (6'3'). Very practical, have driven on 2000+ mile road trips twice and it has never let me down. This is my daily driver and it used to tow a boat frequently. There is a design flaw with the steering gearbox - very common and expensive repair ($500-$800) but chances may be pretty good this has already been replaced on the earlier models. Love the truck. Has been both a workhorse and earns Range Rover wanna be respect around town for a fraction of the price.

10 years with a Montero LS
By gordone on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the car 10 years ago, used with 3,000 miles on it. During the 10 years our experience has been generally good. Steering box failed at 60,000 miles ($800), dealer said not unusual. Original exhaust lasted 9.5 years, but cost $900 at the dealer. Other failures: year 5 - two power window controls failed ($125 each for parts); year 1-cruise control sometimes turns off when directionals are used (dealer unable to find problem); year 6 air conditioning failed ($900 to repair with no guarentee it would be fixed (dealer price)); year 6 - FM radio and cassette failed, replacement lasted only 2 years.

EXCELLENT FOR BEGINNING FAMILIES
By ZWEGERSD on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

For the last two years it has been our best vehicle. Has never broken down, anything and everything fits in it. Great daily driver and very comfortable for long trips. The off-road capabilities are endless. Very good ground clearance, good suspension and high/low 4x4 ranges. Crossed rivers headlight-deep and had no problems at all. The turning radius is not as good as other SUV's but the independent front suspension is absolutely fantastic.

Good rig
By arch on 02/26/02 19:36 PM (PST)

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The montero is fun rig to drive. Very well build. Good engine. Good for hunting an for in town driving. Not good for long hauls. Not comfortable for long drives.