Used 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Montero-sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

I love this ride!
By ucprincess2002

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

On 2/28/2015 I purchased an 03 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS with 124,000 miles on it and one previous owner. I love this SUV because it is stylish but most importantly reliable. My sons father has one and I said if I ever had the chance to purchase another used vehicle this one is it because in it has never given him major problems. The only con is the gas consumption but I will take that any day over what I use to drive. The previous owner took excellent care of this vehicle and I will do the same. Everyone who sees it is surprised at how old it is because it still competes with newer modeled SUV's. It should have never been discontinued.

Favorite Features

Leather seats and space.

Suggested Improvements

None

Excellent family hauler!
By rrf

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Those who have kids know that newborns need plenty of cargo room. This vehicle has plenty! My wife and I purchased this vehicle anticipating the birth of our first son. We made an excellent choice. The Montero Sport is the perfect family hauler for the following reasons: -Plenty of cargo space -Has the LATCH car seat anchors -Rear hatch opens upward to shelter you from the rain when you have to change your baby's diaper. -The deck height in the cargo area is perfect for changing your baby's diapers. (See the theme?) -Toddlers get dirty! The rear cargo area roof is tall enough enabling your toddler to stand. This makes impromptu clothes changes very easy. -Privacy glass helps with naps

Favorite Features

-LATCH -Cargo space -Hatch door provides shelter -Ride height is good for your back when transfering an infant carrier (infant included) from stroller to base -Very comfortable seats for long trips -Rear seats recline -This rugged SUV shrugs off potholes and road debris like a champ. -Has 170K miles, has never left me stranded. Very reliable. -Stereo surprised me. Giant door speakers and separate tweeters provides deep undistorted lows, and crisp clear highs. -Roof rack comes in handy

Suggested Improvements

-Rugged=heavy: Brakes are only adequate for this heavy SUV. Take it easy in the mountains or you'll warp the rotors. -3.0L V6 and 4-speed automatic transmission are a slow combination for this heft. Merging onto a freeway often requires full throttle. -Fold flat rear seats would enhance the use of the excellent cargo space during IKEA and Home Depot trips.

Best buy ever
By Donna

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used in 2005. I have driven it for 5 yrs this month. I have over 134,000 miles and beside tires and a battery (that was my own fault) I had a belt replaced that was worn and the transmission flushed to extent the life of this jewel. I use to buy a new car every couple of years. No more.

Favorite Features

I love the nice but sporty look. It fits in no matter where you are. The quality is amazing. Seats are firm, carpet is plush and the privacy glass keeps it cool on summer days. I love the two-tone interior and white gauge faces. There is nothing dated looking about this vehicle. Worth every penny!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish was different is if the back seats would lay flat with the trunk area when they are down. It would have made my recent move so much easier. It would be nice if there was the option to open the back glass alone without the whole hatch at times. It's is high and heavy to close.

Great Car- I love it
By T Ceezy

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy this car, it has been perfect for me. I live in Colorado and use my Sport to go off road camping, up to the mountains through the snow, and also driving as I live in the city. It has been very reliable, no problems other than regular wear and tear. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It has been great in the snow.

Favorite Features

Looks, off roading ability, AWD, lots of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Larger motor, it struggles when going into the mountains at times, but overall great car.

very reliable
By scott.76

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's been a very solid vehicle. Not a single mechanical issue. It now has 85,000 miles on it. Some complaints I have are that after about an hour of driving I've got to get out and stretch my legs. The seat height is too low. It's definitely not a vehicle designed for a tall person. The roof is also quite low. The side steps aren't really functional so my seat is wearing because I essentially have to slide in and out. It handles great in the snow and does well off road. My sister bought an '03 Jeep grand Cherokee at the same time we bought our MS. They've had nothing but trouble with it. There's something to be said for the simple design of MS. Not a whole lot of gadgets that can break.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY. Exterior styling. Infinity sound system. Simplicity of interior design. Cargo space. Factory tires lasted for over 80,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

More functional side steps. Roomier cockpit. More passing power. Gas mileage goes down the tubes if you drive any faster than 60 mph.