Used 2002 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Best small car on the road!
By tywashin

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have only owned it for about two months, so far it has been a great car. It's very fun to drive. And I like how other mini owners wave when ever we see each other. I draw attention wherever I go. It's also the best car I have ever had on gas. The seats could be a little more comfortable for long road trips.

I like the 5 spd transmission, which is very fun to drive. And sound system in the car, which has one of the best sounds ever.

I think it needs better arm rests. And a locking gas cap would be nice. And there should be more dealers that work on mini coopers, the closest one to me is a hour away. And most of the parts in the auto parts store has to be ordered. I almost forgot, cup holders could have been twice as big.

Stay Away!
By jennyj

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from the previous owner who babied the car and had virtually no mileage. I argued with my family and friends that if I had to drive a "fuel economy" car it would at least not be generic, so I bought the Mini. To say I have been let down with this car and BMW's backing of this car would be the understatement of the millennium! The transmission went at 42,000 miles and the wanted 7,500 to replace it, even though there were hundreds of similar complaints of faulty tranny's, BMW simply turned its head! Next were the window motors, the end caps of the rain gutters, the exhaust (at over a grand), the power steering pump, and more! This car is the biggest pile of garbage around!

It is fun to drive (when it's running) but that is quickly overshadowed by its poor reliability. BMW should have spent more time mechanically engineering their car instead of spending more on advertising and getting them out to the public before they were ready. It is a mechanical nightmare.

BMW should simply give this car company back to the English because they haven't improved it at mechanically, and that is sad! It actually slid backwards down a hill in the winter through a traffic light! Do not buy this car despite its fun and cute appearance, it is an absolute pile of garbage.

Very upset!!
By ghost

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2002 Mini last Aug. 2007. I have driven it less than 3 thousand miles..if even that much. I was told today that something called the Final Drive needed to be replaced and the Transmission was messed up. Being that our economy is so great and I can't get a job- I couldn't afford the thousands it cost to fix it.. and lost over thousands in letting it go for pennies. I am saddened beyond belief that a car that I thought was so incredible, after all, a BMW etc., turned out to be the biggest lemon that I have ever purchased. OK.. I loved that car for the whole time I had it.. and now.. feel so very let down!

Kudos to this car, so far
By Jim from Indy

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles almost as well as my 1991 Dodge Stealth. Plenty of leg room for 6'2 and above. Just bought it a week ago but no complaints as of yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

Handling, and fuel economy. Head and leg room.

Fog lamps should be more stable as they vibrate with the more than unstable rubber bushings on the end of the screw bases.

"uncle"
By cheryl,

2002 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive, rivaling other imports I've had. It has plenty of power to render confidence in passing and on ramp approach, corners on a dime, and has awesome gas milage without performance trade-off. However, I've experienced way too many costly repairs ie. engine wire harness, intake valve module, cooling fan module, power steering pump etc. It's time to cut my losses. Regretable, I scream uncle.

I live on a hill in New England. The traction control makes it a great winter car.

Quality. This could be a great eco friendly car.