Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mini Cooper-clubman - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way. I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need. I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

Favorite Features

Drives like a go-kart and more room in the cockpit than I had in my old Explorer..even at 6'3". Big enough storage to hold my softball gear or golf clubs, and with the gas mileage and voice activated Bluetooth, I'm now teaching my daughter how to drive it...so she can have it in 2 years.

Suggested Improvements

None. Well designed. Well engineered.

The Jury is Out
By Buffaloe

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While I am very pleased to date with my Clubby, the potential for issues associated with build quality, durability, maintenance intervals, etc make me wonder about the future. Given the Clubby is under warranty but when I learn that brake replacement can approach $1K or higher, that concerns me. IMO, the whole MINI culture/concept not only includes the original purchase price but also the ongoing highly expensive maintenance. I will watch these reviews closely as the 2008 Clubby lose warranty coverage.

Favorite Features

Looks and rear door entry.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest & regular tires (those run flats are very hard).

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman Base Automatic
By Gerry Maldo

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle is incredible fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg mostly city and not much traffic (really bad for a small vehicle) If you like manual transmission stick to it as on this car as the base model (NOT S TURBO) does not have the perk to get you moving. The car is a great eye catcher on the road. If I decide to get into another Mini it will the Turbo (S)model for sure. Cornering is a thrill like any other car on the road.

Favorite Features

Road Grip, Dual Sunroof, Sound system, convenience package and great xenon lights

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof should come with actual shades not a mesh to avoid the heat (specially in heat of the summer) For the price, this vehicle should be offer only in the S Turbo edition

Fun and then some
By Gregg

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for seven months and the only thing I can say fun fun fun. Great handling, the response is unbelievable. How so much car can be built into such a compact design is anybodys guess. There is nothing on the road that looks like it and it turns heads when you drive. Will be getting another one as soon as the lease to our second car is up. Definitely look at this one if your in the market.

Favorite Features

The deco interior, mood light.

Suggested Improvements

better sound system should be standard.

Shoulda bought the Honda
By Disappointed

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought a 2009 Clubman because it was fun to drive, different, and got good gas mileage. We put the car on the road for a 2500- mile summer road trip; performance was great and mileage was *fantastic* (~41MPG on the highway), but we found that the passenger-side carpets were wet. We had to diagnose the problem via the MINI discussion boards on the internet, and traced it to a poorly installed gasket in the A/C system. Other problems included rear-door seals that didn't seal, an inaccurate speedometer, and shut-downs due to bad throttle assemblies. After ~5 repair trips in 12,000 miles, the dealer replaced the car, so we now own a 2010 - with a gas gauge that doesn't really work.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; sporty; unique; pretty useful size for a family of 3.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and engineering: in a $20,000 car, inaccurate gauges and poor assembly quality aren't acceptable. I've had fewer problems with my 1996 Ford Ranger pickup. Next time I'll buy the Honda.