2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:
Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric on 07/23/12 17:04 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way. I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need. I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

The Jury is Out
By Buffaloe on 07/31/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While I am very pleased to date with my Clubby, the potential for issues associated with build quality, durability, maintenance intervals, etc make me wonder about the future. Given the Clubby is under warranty but when I learn that brake replacement can approach $1K or higher, that concerns me. IMO, the whole MINI culture/concept not only includes the original purchase price but also the ongoing highly expensive maintenance. I will watch these reviews closely as the 2008 Clubby lose warranty coverage.

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman Base Automatic
By Gerry Maldo on 04/14/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle is incredible fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg mostly city and not much traffic (really bad for a small vehicle) If you like manual transmission stick to it as on this car as the base model (NOT S TURBO) does not have the perk to get you moving. The car is a great eye catcher on the road. If I decide to get into another Mini it will the Turbo (S)model for sure. Cornering is a thrill like any other car on the road.

Fun and then some
By Gregg on 04/02/10 18:00 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for seven months and the only thing I can say fun fun fun. Great handling, the response is unbelievable. How so much car can be built into such a compact design is anybodys guess. There is nothing on the road that looks like it and it turns heads when you drive. Will be getting another one as soon as the lease to our second car is up. Definitely look at this one if your in the market.

Shoulda bought the Honda
By Disappointed on 03/31/10 17:39 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought a 2009 Clubman because it was fun to drive, different, and got good gas mileage. We put the car on the road for a 2500- mile summer road trip; performance was great and mileage was *fantastic* (~41MPG on the highway), but we found that the passenger-side carpets were wet. We had to diagnose the problem via the MINI discussion boards on the internet, and traced it to a poorly installed gasket in the A/C system. Other problems included rear-door seals that didn't seal, an inaccurate speedometer, and shut-downs due to bad throttle assemblies. After ~5 repair trips in 12,000 miles, the dealer replaced the car, so we now own a 2010 - with a gas gauge that doesn't really work.

Much better than advertised
By gopar1 on 02/27/10 21:06 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the literature about how fun it is to drive this car - it is 10 times better than they say!! My Clubman S can get up and go without any problems. The ride is sporty and the quality is great. The gas mileage is fine - getting about 29 to 30 mpg's combined. If I could just go the speed limit I think the mileage would go up - however hard to do in this car. I will trade economy for fun any day. This is our first Mini and I will certainly buy another!

Big Little Car
By Matt on 12/29/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fun Little car that fits my 6' 2" football player sized frame. Better leg room than a many bigger cars, with full winter gear on can be a little tight width wise. Handles great and with standard engine can easily do 80 and keep up or pass everyone. Gas prices are a non issue and can fit 3 people without much of an issue. Do however hate the low hight when I have big SUV's and their lights trying to intimidate me, but just run away from them with superior handling.

Still new, but what fun we're having.
By JR on 12/16/09 11:47 AM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

"Pepper" is still new at about 5K so can't comment on what I consider the most important factor - reliability. So far so good, though. My wife talked me into buying the Clubman. I thought it was too expensive for what you get. And the options are too expensive and too numerous. However, the little beast has totally grown on me and made me a MINI convert. The S is fast enough for most enthusiasts and it handles like MINI says: Like a go-cart. It's small to be sure, but when you're inside it feels much bigger. Never thought I would say this, but I love this expensive toy car.

it's not a car - it's a MINI
By ny mini on 10/18/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our Mini Clubman S new about 6 months ago. My other choice was a new V6 Accord, but decided on the Mini just because I wanted a change and better handling. Overall, I love it. It's surprisingly roomy inside for a small car, We have a 4 yr old boy and it's perfect - thats why we opted for the clubman. The Mini has more noises than I can identify, but that becomes one of it's charm. The clubman is not a "pretty"car, but I think thats what I like about it. Only regrets are the "pleather" seats; they are too hot in the summer. The stereo is not that good either, but I find I am less interested in what I am listening to and more interested in the drive. Definitely Fun and different!

Don't Buy the Hype
By Janice on 10/13/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

At the risk of revealing that the emporer has, well, not all his clothes, I'll say that my new Mini, an automatic, has scary hesitation when you floor it from zero. The automatic tire pressure sensor gives false alarms, so the local dealer wants me to pay to fill the tires with nitrogen. Don't put barefoot kids or anything delicate in the backseat floor because the runners that slide the seats are incredibly sharp, exposed metal. They punctured a 2L soda bottle recently. It got under the carpet, and the dealer wanted $900 to dry it out, claiming no fault because cargo belongs in the cargo area (duh? but sharp metal is ok for people?) My auto body guy did it for $300. Keep shopping!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.