Used 2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Never Had A More Reliable Vehicle...
By alessing

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned and driven anything from a Hummer H2 to a Ford Escape, to an Acura MDX and I praise Ford's engineers for the work put into this SUV. I own a 2003 Mountaineer Premier AWD V8 with stock GoodYear Fortera HL tires and this truck performs incredibly. I have a heavy foot and the 4.6L V8 suits my every need. I own a 21 foot boat and the towing abilities are great! Also, being in NC means I enjoy the Outer Banks where I regularly take to the sandy beaches and have NEVER gotten stuck. Even without the Explorer's AdvanceTrac traction control, the Mountaineer's full-time All Wheel Drive performs admirably in virtually any situation. I simply love this truck... 200000+ miles and no issues!!

I love the full-time All Wheel Drive in my Mountaineer; I have used it in many situations and it has proven to be a very capable SUV on and off road. For a 2003 it has many features still not standard on today's vehicles, like the reverse parking sensors! It is very comfortable and easy to drive... It has 200000+ miles and still running like the day I bought it

The MPG's for a small V8 is slightly underwhelming but other than that, it is a great SUV!

Love my Mountaineer for the most part!
By Amurr1991

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had My Mountaineer for quite a while and Love it! I have only had to replace ball joints and Put new tires on it (standard maintenance). This vehicle is such a workhorse and handles great in all weather situations! The fuel economy is awful though, (only about 13-15 combined). Overall I have been pleased with this truck. The only complaint I have is that the interior quality could be better. The truck has 110,000 miles and does tend to have some minor rattles, but not too bad, other cars I have had don't generally start to rattle until much later, but hey It's a Ford not a Mercedes!

AWD V6 is very strong and powerful. Adjustable Foot pedals are awesome! In Dash 6 Disc CD changer. Controls for Climate,audio and cruise on the steering wheel.

fuel economy. Ride quality/comfort could be better. Crack on back of the Lift gate, Ford should have issued a recall and fixed these vehicles. For the mileage the vehicle could be more solid and tight, but I have learned to live with it.

The Good and not so good
By Pat

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Comfort, looks and performance are Great. The Problems are few but Should be weeded out by the Mercury engineers: 1) I purchased this SUV new and have the towing package but have never used it yet the 2 rear springs are broken. Never overloaded it either. Can't figure out why/how this happened. 2) Rear tailgate has a plastic body part with Mercury emblem on it. It cracked even though there was no accident. Heard of other owners having same problem. Why did/does this happen? 3) Power windows freeze up in winter will not work until they are thawed out. Overall I like this SUV. It's a pleasure to drive. Hopeful that some Mercury People will see my remarks here and find solutions

Comfort, Visibility, Heating cooling system. roomy looks great

Find out why the rear springs break when they are not loaded with weight and are not towing. In Winter the power windows freeze up and can't be used until they thaw out. The plastic body part on rear tailgate cracks easily.

Tough Truck for a V6
By Jake

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mountaineer used with 40,000 miles on it. Other than a crack on the liftgate it was in great shape. I've always driven my vehicles hard and I can say for just being a 4.0L it is a workhorse. I've hauled thousands of pounds of supplies behind it in a trailer, driven off-road,done a few donuts, you name it. I bought it out of pure necessity having a third child on the way. This is my grocery/camping/work/family vehicle. I love the sound system and leather seats and 17 inch wheels. It handles great and has good power for passing. It has 109,000 miles now and all I've had to replace was an alternator. I also nailed a deer at about 50 mph and virtually no damage. I have no regrets.

AWD, fold down third row seats, great power for a V6, 6 disc CD player and great sound system, 17 inch alloys, roof rack, heated seats, back up warning lights, great ride and handling, fully independent suspension

The crack in my liftgate, gas mileage isn't even close to 20 mpg, more like 15 mpg. A full sized 2" towing hitch receiver.

Solid
By Chris

2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was looking for a 7 seater explorer of that age, stumbled upon the prettier sister vehicle at a dealership. Ours has been a solid, comfortable, trouble free vehicle. Looks nice, too. 22-23 mpg highway; decent for a heavy vehicle. Unfortunately I have had to have the rear bumper repainted twice; once was my fault (garage incident) and another parking lot incident. Goes like a tank in the snow (AWD). The downside to having such a nice SUV is that you can't really do the "utility" thing like you mean it. But at least it has more cajones than a minivan.

Leather seats, AWD. 3rd row seat. CD changer.

Eliminate power driver seat that moves around every time you get in or out. Overkill, and annoying. Also would like it if the migraine-inducing seat belt reminder were a bit quieter.