Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SLK55 AMG 5.4L V8 7-speed Automatic - (2 reviews )

MBZ SLK 55 AMG
By slaman

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

A bargain for what you get, as compared to others in it's class. Great engine power, speed and handling abilities. Fun to drive on the open road and in town. Great if you enjoy top-down motoring. Simply a fun and powerful hot-rod!

Design, power, handling, size and of course, the looks and comments you get from strangers familiar and not familiar with the brand.

Supply the plexiglas windscreen as a standard feature. The mesh screen is fine, but the plexi gives it a whole different, classic appeal.

AMG Cobra!
By chuck

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

The SLK AMG 55 has great acceleration and adequate handling and braking. It has been difficult to find the right seat adjustment. The HVAC controls are confusing and difficult to see at night. The retractable hardtop has been fantastic but opt for the windscreen if you do a lot of top down driving. I do have some rattles in the top mechanism and around the glove box, both of which are annoying. The drivetrain of the AMG somewhat overwhelms the chassis in my opinion. Keep in mind that the larger wheels and suspension make for a very firm ride, particularly on rough pavement. Repairs after hitting potholes are very expensive! Visibility just OK Overall a good car for this class but not great

The engine; fantastic torgue and acceleration. Excellent transmission. The exhaust note has just the right amount of burble and growl commensurate with the engine. The retractable top is very good although I am surprised that I don't engage is more top down driving.

HVAC controls definitely need some attention in my opinion and the whole dash probably will be reworked in the next SLK. The NAV system is a little cumbersome and as a result, I don't use it very much. MB should look at options for a spare tire/wheel; there isn't one as I found out the hard way!