2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 SLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my SLK
By JMills

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I thought a review of a 6 year old SLK320 might be helpful to people. All of the '98 to '02 SLK's had an issue with paint peeling on the center console. Other than that my SLK looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. I have never seen a car that has aged this well, bar none. Outside paint still lives up to its name 'Brilliant Silver'. Everything about the car is tight and solid. My last car was a Corvette so I am not new to performance cars and this one is a winner. No, it doesnt have the off the line grunt of a Corvette. It is more along the lines of european sports cars, in other words spectacular handling, very good road manners and comfort levels and exciting top end speed.

Favorite Features

Retractable hardtop, and the looks my car gets everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Single CD player inside

MB SLK great Car
By Bobby

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I owned a Mazda Miata prior to this Mercedes and worried about the reliability of this vehicle. However, the car has been great and I now have almost 50,000 miles on it and it is a pleasure to drive and fun when top is down on a nice day. I love the fact that the roof is solid and that I don't have to worry about the snow causing any damage to the interior. The car is also great in snow with the snow tires that I purchased only a few months after I fist got the car. All in all, I would say that I love this car and that it has served me quite well.

Favorite Features

Hard top but still a drop top!

Beautiful Lines
By Linda

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third MB and the nicest looking by far. I bought it basically for the ease of the retractable hardtop. The trunk is small, but adequate for trips to the grocery store. I would rather have a single disc CD player than the optional 6 disc in the trunk. Pickup is not as responsive as the 230SLK supercharged which I previously owned. I like the interior features better on the 320 though, with the wood grain treatments. Definitely not a family car, just a fun short trip vehicle. Gets about 18 miles per gallon with city driving and 29 miles per gallon exclusively highway. Great car for me, but I only do about 5K a year.

Favorite Features

Hard top retractable.

Suggested Improvements

Offer the 320 with the supercharger like the 230. It would be more fun to drive.

Not as Happy
By SunnySideUp

I leased this car brand new in 2002. The second month I had it I had to take it back to the dealer to get the driver door replaced due to a faulty seal, which did not allow the door to close properly. At 40,000 miles, the motor mounts collapsed and one of the cams had to be replaced. Had to replace at least 6 brake lamps. Twice the convertible top got stuck when trying to let it down. Was told this happens when you use it for the first time after winter. Cupholders broke soon after I got it. The check engine sensor had to be replaced at least 3 times. Warranty is running out, so I am turning it in at the end of the lease.

Favorite Features

Convertible top. Brushed aluminum finish around control panels. Tip- tronic automatic transmission. Easy manuevering through traffic. Sleek style.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable cupholders and placed differently. Condensation always dripped from cups onto the stereo. Stereo controls on steering wheel. More comfortable seats not good for long trips to the beach. More head room for taller people. More buttons and less knobs. Both side mirrors should dim.

Room for Two
By Chris

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK320 is just plain fun! Its acceleration is more than adequate, it won't beat a Porsche Boxster but it'll get you excited. Putting the roof up or down is a breeze - just click & hold the button. Once the roof is up it's as solid as a regular hardtop, no shimmy. This car is relatively quiet though noise from the rear tires can be loud with the roof up. Its exhaust note is a nice throaty roar. The engine sounds great when wound up. This car always draws looks and positive comments from all age groups. It is very noticeable and unique.

Favorite Features

The folding hardtop is tops!

Suggested Improvements

The seats could be more padded, they are OK for short trips (less than 2 hours). Steering & road feel could be improved, think the new 2005 model solved that problem. Still holds curves adequately and can be tossed around enough to still be fun.

EXCELLENT!!!
By chopstick1

I love this car!!! drives smooth, accelerates great, beautiful to look at, quick hardtop, HUGE TRUNK SPACE for this type of car

Favorite Features

hardtop, good feeling all over car

Suggested Improvements

the paint, it chips very, very easily, simple road trash/pebbles/dirt will ding it

SLK32 AMG Rocks!
By TomNM

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car almost 2 years and I love it. It has phenomenal power, brakes, and suspension. The folding top is a work of art, but limits trunk space significantly. One trip to the dealer so far, for headlight adjustment. All maintenance done at home. This car should have come with a 1 disc CD, but didn't. I didn't buy the $2K car phone. (Duh!) No complaints.

Favorite Features

349 HP, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Folding hardtop turns coupe to roadster.

Suggested Improvements

1 Disc MP3 CD player Std. Give GPS output to the driver, not just the MB Tele-aid folks. Needs a reasonably priced phone interface.

2002 Mercedes SLK 320
By BClark

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Beautiful vehicle with luxurious interior and nimble, quick ride. Great open air convertible that feels like a solid sedan when the retractable hard top is up.

Favorite Features

Retractable hard top, interior design, clean lines.

Suggested Improvements

Greater acceleration, more responsive steering, and more comfortable seats/head- rests.

Great Car, Mediocre Service
By Glawyer

This is a great car overall... It's gets plenty of attention & looks great.. It is also fun to drive, especially in te Spring/Summer with the hardtop down.

Favorite Features

Manual/Automatic shifting, hardtop covertible, speed & pick up....

Suggested Improvements

I have had some really bad experiences with some of the Mercedes Service Departments...

Solid Convertable at any speed
By ChrisF

2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have now had this car two years. Very few issues, solid car with the hard top convertable up or down. Blast to drive, plenty of power in the SLK320.

Favorite Features

Hardtop convertable

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, indash CD