2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.4L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )
Six years makes no difference
By Billy V on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I've always wanted a supercar, a 2-seater and a convertible. We got all three and got it in this car. I've always enjoyed driving, have favored Mercedes over other brands once I started buying them. I had Audi and BMW top line cars in the past and the final kicker than makes the Benz best for me (besides being able to handle my 1.97 m height)is superior quality and service. The M-B people have always taken exceptional care of my cars and I am a fussy one. Buying a 2004 model, the only real limitation I did not pay enough attention to was the dated transmission, it does not shift responsively enough with that motor and especially with the steering wheel buttons/early paddle shifters.

Dream Car
By ab star on 01/30/09 15:11 PM (PST)

The best combination of any car ever built. It's a sports car (use only the manual transmission and the steering wheel metal gear changers); it's a luxury car with a sports car or luxury car suspension; it can cruise mildly or attack corners; it's beautiful (silver ties whole car together); it's a hardtop for foul weather and winter and a convertible - incredible. There may be better cars for any one item but none with this combination at such a high level.

The Ultimate Car
By apb on 01/26/09 15:01 PM (PST)

This car has it all; performance of a supercar, beautiful in and out, luxury, hardtop and convertible. Drive it only in Manual Mode and the suspension and transmission rivals race cars yet it is so full of luxury and a convertible of hard top for winter or foul weather.

Poser
By Corey Smith on 05/04/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

Least reliable vehicle I have ever experienced. Needs frequent, unscheduled visits to repair shop. A car's first priority should be quality and reliability. This car fails in that regard. 500 hp is irrelevant if the car is sitting once again in the dealer's repair shop.

Leg room
By ron on 04/11/08 23:09 PM (PDT)

The car handles well, I gave up a 650i I am 6,5" and had a lot more leg room than the SL gives. More color choice and wish the seat would go back even more. Overall love the car

It should Fly
By rick on 11/25/07 21:24 PM (PST)

I have owned Ferrari, other AMG Mercedes, several SL500's, Corvette's, and I would divorce my wife before giving up this car for any reason. I can't wait to go to work in the morning to drive down the winding grade I live on top of, and going up is just as exhilarating. This is the best car I have ever owned. I also own the S550 and never drive it....why would I?

All About The Experience
By Scott on 12/20/06 06:00 AM (PST)

I bought the car new and have driven in all types of conditions. It is the most amazing car I have owned and I have owned a lot! It is a sports car, racing car, convertable (Of course), city car, road car, sedate car or beast depending on what you ask it to do. It is stealty because its little brother the Sl500 or SL 550 is common and other drivers assume that is what you are driving until you turn on the speed. What a surprise in their eyes through your rear view mirror! This car is a total experience - fun. Only caution is "it eats tires." If you want performance expect to change them every 5,000 miles or so. Performance not important, why did you buy this car?! I want a Ferrari599F1 next

It's worth the love/hate aggravation
By Mr. Hankey on 06/01/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

I absolutely love this car! Many times in the past year, I've hated it, too. I've had numerous dealer visits ranging from minor adjustments all the way up to replaced superchargers. My dealer always takes care of me! It's way over-engineered, but again that's what I thrive on as well. There's something great about driving literally the fastest, best handling car on the road, and then there's that level of AMG exclusivity too...I attended the Ultimate AMG Challenge Fall '04 in Germany and was fortunate to meet the one technician who assembled my car's engine.

Redefining driving excitement
By SL55 TN on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is the car everyone wants with good reason. Prior to taking delivery of my SL55, I drove a Honda S2000 (fun but very basic) and a 2003 SLK32 (too small, horrible steering response). Even with a weight of over two tons, the SL55's 493 horses will pin you to your seatback while surounding you with every conceivable luxury appointment. I drove SL55's at the Homestead-Miami Speedway in June's AMG Challenge, just to see what this beast could do when fully unleashed. What a rush! Not your typical no-frills sports car, but a lot more fun to drive!

more fun than a roller coaster
By mark reynolds on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

More on road performance than you could ever need on the open highway. This car performs superbly at high speed. Whether conering or racing down a straight stretch of road this car will amaze you. A luxury ride decieves you as you gaze out the window thinking you are travelling at maybe 2/3 your actual speed. Slowing down is no problem given the braking system on this vehicle. If you want to make your drive as enjoyable as possible you must own this car.