2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 M-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Bad dealership bad car
By klm001

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is the bottom line worst car I have ever purchased and the dealership is even worse than the car. I purchased an ML350, 5 days after I purchased the car it had to go in for service and in less than 20 months the car has been in 21 times! Everything from the rear hatch not working (constant problem), sunroof, cam shafts leaking, oil leaking, random lights not working, battery going dead for no reason and stranding me, and the last one was the a/c going out completely. Of course out of 21 times in the dealership my service advisor who is the only decent part of this experience does not know what to do except to schedule me for service for next month in advance because she knows soon so

Favorite Features

The car interior is beautiful, it is on of the reasons I purchased the car, it also feels very solid compared to alot of cars. Its tight suspension makes it feel like a sturdy well built car. It is unfortunate that was not the case.

Suggested Improvements

Dealership should stand behind obvious issues with a car that even the service advisor admits is not due to the user.

Probably not worth the investment
By spicoli2

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I bought this car new in October 2007. I have general dislikes about this vehicle and the cost of ownership. First, the SUV has 37k miles on it and I am on my 3rd set of tires at $1100 per set (including mounting and balancing). MBUSA says it's due to the weight of the vehicle and that the tires available are soft (whatever you do DO NOT buy Continental 4X4 contacts for this car). Second, there are many, many little things that for a MB are un acceptable like, front defroster only has one setting, which is high, then you need to play the on/off game with it when the windows fog up, the radio does not display the song or artist, the alarm makes no audio sound to indicate it is alarmed, ect

Favorite Features

Goof performance Exterior styling Storage space

Suggested Improvements

Change settings for front defroster Have radio display artist and title Have alarm have the ability to have an audio sound to indicate the vehicle is secured Full size spare tire Paint that doesn't scratch if you look at it wrong Changing front light bulbs requires an entire free day

Proud Owner of ML 350
By Manny

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Back in 2008, I test drove Volvo, BMW, Audi, Acura. Finally I chose ML350. I believe in my life I have always made wrong decisions, but I have never regretted my ML350 purchase. Then I bought Audi Q7 2010 for my wife, but somehow it has failed to gain my loyalty. Even after 60,000 miles my MB drives like a newborn. Amazing SUV.

Favorite Features

Steering control, I cannot believe such a huge SUV having this kind of control, mind blowing.

Suggested Improvements

Glove compt too small, Nav is ok. Meter display not impressive.

Stranded
By stranded

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have only had my ML350 for 1 year and the battery has died on me twice already. Here I am in a brand new Mercedes and I have to get a jump, how embarrasing. The second time the battery died I took it to the dealership and they said that the computer chip got wet some how. They want to charge me $900, but it's not happening.

Favorite Features

comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Better GPS system.

Awesome ML!
By Evangelist

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my 3rd ML starting with a 2000 ML320, then a 01 ML430 and now this awesome 08 ML350. The advancements in technology, comfort, performance and design are amazing. My ML has almost every option including the Bi-Zenon headlights which are incredible in form and function. Even the power tailgate makes life so much more pleasant. Mercedes began the luxury SUV line and has totally raised the bar with the latest ML350. What an awesome vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bi-Zenon Headlights, Power Liftgate, Heated Seats and Bluetooth Telephone.

Suggested Improvements

My only improvement has already been done in the 2009 model year: improve the DVD Navigation. The Nav is now a Hard-Drive based unit.

Much Better than 2006
By drlgu

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My wife had a '06 ML350 and loved the looks and how it drove; however, it was in the shop several times for power liftgate and squeaking rear suspension. Decided to trade in for 2008 with P2 package and never regretted it. The 2008 handles much better, probably due to larger wheels and tires. Bought it in June '08 and overall reliability and build quality has been excellent. The '08 also seemed to have improved on the 7sp transmission as it does not hesitate like the '06. Had opportunity to drive in 3 inches of snow and handled very well.

Favorite Features

Headroom, interior room, bi-xeon headlights, quietness, drives like a luxury car and not an SUV, ipod connection, rear seats fold flat, good MPG for an SUV of this size.

Suggested Improvements

Had to pay $500 for bluetooth module, leather should be standard, rear view camera is great, but at this price point it should also have parking sensors.

Exterior design does it for ML350
By mike sab

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Hands down rides much nicer than BMW X5. Needs leather standard on a vehicle of this caliber. Brakes are a little mushy if I had to complain at all.

Favorite Features

Harmon Kardon stereo, satellite radio, standard 19 in. wheels

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are mushy. Tranny gets confused sometimes at low speeds

ML-350
By Terry

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Ive had the ML-350 for 4 weeks now.The performance is great. Quick,solid,smooth shifting. The steering is very sensitive and I tended to oversteer until I got used to it. I think much more responsive than my Jag XJ-8. The ML-350 has so many bells and whistles it takes time to learn them but once you do it seems easy. I was actually happy with the non leather seats. I've had trouble in the past with leather. Seat adjustment is wonderful. I am 6-4 and my wife is 5-3 so you can imagine what kind of workout the seat motors get. Great car as you would expect

Favorite Features

Comfort, fit and finish, power from a V6, back up camera, Sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

Update the nav system

'08 ML350/Alpine Rain/P2/IPOD
By AVI

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my 2nd MBZ, coming from an E- Class, I thought I would give the ML350 a shot, after reading so many good reviews here. I must say, they are true. This is really a great vehicle. The Alpine Rain color is hardly seen here in NY and love it, with the Ash interior. I think MBZ should have more standard features though.. you have to pay for everything! My buddy's KIA came with bluetooth, but MBZ wanted $400 for it. I really have nothing to complain about. Rides excellent and looks even better. Much better than previous shape.

Favorite Features

The iPod interface. Power folding mirrors as well as power trunk closer.

Suggested Improvements

Better navigation system. Also, when the A/C is on, the vent on the front passenger side window fogs the window where I look at the side view mirror. I have to pull the window down and up again to get the "fog" off so I can see the mirror.

Just a lot of car for the money
By Kevin Roberts

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Solid as a rock. Turns on a dime. As far as I'm concerned this SUV is the most car for the money. Two large teenagers can sit in the back seat without any complaints. If you need extra space for traveling get a trailer hitch for the back and a box that will easily carry 4 sets of golf bags. I have now bought three 350ML's. I truly think they're the best car for the money.