Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 BLUETEC 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel 7-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Perfect car !!!
By gottlieb

2008 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 BLUETEC 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

2008 Bluetec E320 is the best everyday car! averaging 37 mpg highway, 30 mpg combine, plenty of power, handling is excellent, best interior design, comfortable in long driving, perfect ergonomic design, perfect car.

Favorite Features

highway mileage is 37 mpg at 70 mph, with ac on, 32 psi tire pressure, windows closed, one accupant, 7 speed transmission. excellent handling, very nice interior, ergonomic is superb.

Suggested Improvements

gps navigation is hard to operate and no exact address.

320 Bluetec
By New diesel rocks

Bought an '08 Bluetec with 15,500 miles in March 2010. Excellent vehicle. Smooth, quiet, excellent mileage, plenty of power. Very smooth shifting vehicle. This is my 3rd Mercedes, by far the best (previous was an '83 300td (junk), e300 (pretty good). I have owed Lexus (IS300) and 5 series BMW and like this better. Many other vehicles along the way and this is the best. Package 2 with keyless go, fold down rear seat and the full moon roof. 19 miles one way to work, mostly freeway with some stop and go downtown and I see 36 mpg routinely. Not a big NAV user but have found this nav system to be a challenge. Logic is not intuitive but you do figure it out with some focused effort.

Favorite Features

Keyless go. Overall ride quality (excellent suspension for everyday driving on our crumbling infrastructure). Full length moonroof. Fold down seats (my road bike fits nicely when you remove the front wheel). Scale / dimensions of the car is right for me. Stereo is pretty good too.

Suggested Improvements

Nav is a bit weak. Rest of the car is sterling. This is a luxury sedan, not a sports car but I would like a little better cornering capability (tends to be a little ponderous in hard cornering). Having said that, overall daily driving ride quality is superb.

best business sedan
By daro05

Unbelievable car< average of 28 MPG in city < up to 37 MPG on interstate ( still under 35 if pushed around 90MPH) Very aggressive acceleration just above 1700 RPM, excellent 7G transmission. could use sport package form E 350??? Reliable like real MB and very well made

Favorite Features

engine

Suggested Improvements

option for sport package, more leg room in the back.

Buy the car, forget the GPS
By SAL

Great car. Comfortable smooth, sports car handling, excellent craftsmanship incredible power. Not as quiet as the gas engine but very quiet for a diesel. You have to listen to hear it. I average 25mpg, as much as 38 mpg on the road. However the GPS stinks. It's the worst. Difficult to use and I dont need to find "border crossings" in the USA. Just buy a Garmin, a 100 times better. Problems: transmission tends to clunk into lower gear as you slow down. Had a 2005 Benz with the same problem. Price of diesel a negative. Hate the center console, holds nothing. Service very expense. I would however, buy this car again.

Favorite Features

The diesel engine, love the soft sound. Extraodinary power. Smooth comfortable ride. Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space in the front cabin. The center slide drawer is terrible. More speed adjustments on the wipers

Best Mercedes I've ever owned.
By Ray in NH

I have owned one ML, two C-Class, four E-Class, two SL-Class,and two S- Class. This is the best all-round Mercedes I have owned. (The best best was the 1997 S-600). This car is faster than most sedans, and the engine is really really quiet. No one who drives with me knows it is a diesel. I tell them it is a diesel after I snap their head back while getting on the highway. Most people don't know that while driving in 'comfort' mode, the car leaves a stopped position in second gear because of the high tourque level in this vehicle.

Favorite Features

First, I have averaged 32.5 mpg over 28,000 miles. I was getting 19mpg in the E500 4-Matic that I traded. I like the MB tex standard because I often have my large Autralian Shepard with me. Just wipe clean. Normally the passengers are limited to my wife and me and the dog, plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

4-Matic; sport suspension; increased body clearance option. Most new E-Class vehicles on the road in New England are 4-Matic. Combine the 4-Matic with the high mileage and comfortable ride, this car should hit the ball out of the park.