Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

You get more than you pay for
By Brian

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Tribute almost one year ago for under $12K with 55K miles on it. It is not perfect. Wind noise is bad on the highway and the shifter is annoying, but everyone is amazed when I tell them what I paid. It has a superb engine and transmission, handles great (better than my old Saturn coupe), and looks good. It is not a luxury vehicle, but it is a great car. I have not had any of the problems listed below like the door leather peeling. I was a little worried by all the Ford parts. I would prefer Mazda to build it on their own, but people looking for relatively cheap SUVs with awesome performance can't be too picky. If you get it at a good price, buying the Tribute is a no brainer.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, handling, cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Move shifter (done on later models), decrease wind noise, add lumbar support.

Do I have a lemon?
By Kaycee

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is rough, loud, & too many things have broken that normally never break; leather(?) door panels peeled off in garage kept car. Cruise control off & hissing noise when accelerator is used.

Suggested Improvements

The old Mazda MPV van was excellent. Follow the same plan.

Very Disappointing
By Disgruntled

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Too many things go wrong. Within one year, had to replace windshield wipers, ashtray, and passenger door handle. Had a stall while driving @ 45 MPH due to failed powertrain, crashed into a fence. Loud wind noise from passenger back door. Rear windshield wiper keeps falling off. Door panel leather peeling off. Headliner cardboard coming off in trunk of car. Loud noise and rumbling when going in or out of overdrive. Random check engine lights go on and off all the time. Save your money and buy something better.

Favorite Features

Overall size, inside ergonomics besides shift gear placement.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING. They weren't ready to launch this car and didn't work out any of the kinks. Thus, they created an unsafe and unreliable vehicle to taint the Mazda name. Tsk Tsk.

My Mazda
By sexyblkgyrl1981

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute and would not give it up for anything.

Favorite Features

The option to have it in 4WD is always nice, and there's plenty of room inside.

Suggested Improvements

Better audio is always good.

2001 Mazda Tribute is a Great Vehicle
By Eva

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute in 2000. I have driven over 75,000 miles. This is a great vehicle. I have had no major problems with this vehicle. The only two problems I experienced was a broken door handle (inside) in about year three and about three months ago an EGR valve had to be replaced. The door handle cost was $75 dollars and the EGR valve $120. These are the only expenses I have had with my vehicle as far as repairs. This is a great everyday vehicle. It's roomy, the steering is excellent, it runs great and stops on a dime. I'm going into my fifth year driving this vehicle and I plan to drive it five more. My Tribute is well worth the $16,700 I paid for it back in 2000.

Favorite Features

The interior space. There's room for everything.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.