Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Even better than I imagined
By da

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a family car as we were expecting our first child. This was particularly traumatic for me as I had to trade in my beloved Eclipse, but this car has it all. It performs excellent with quick acceleration in the city and an oh so smooth ride. I'm converted to SUV-dom and Mazdas. We change the oil and it does the rest. It is worry free, has that sporty look I love, has the room my wife loves, the safety for my daughter, and my family and co-workers are instantly impressed once they get inside and go for a ride. It pulls trailers just fine and does all I ask it to do. The only reason it's not a perfect car is the mpg, but I knew what I was getting into. Two years of happiness!

Favorite Features

Moon roof, 6 disc in dash CD changer, tow package, 4 wheel drive that has already saved us on multiple occasions, plenty of power under the hood, command seating to see the road, extra comfortable leather seating, and plenty of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not willing to trade less power or room for gas mileage, so I would keep it exactly as it is!

A pretty good SUV
By dan18932

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 1 year now. I bought it used from the original owner. It has gone through all of the recalls and I thought it was fine, until the transmission went out at 47000 miles. It had burned up one day while I was driving home from work. The original warranty had expired because it was a 2001. I took it into the dealer and they said I needed a new one which would cost $3000 dollars. I told them I never heard of a car's tranny going out so soon. After fighting with Mazda they agreed to pay half and the dealer I took it to paid some so it only cost me $1,000 dollars. I do not think I would ever buy one again though it drives nicely and has pretty good performance. My mpg is 19.

Favorite Features

My mpg is pretty consistent at 19 city 21 highway. I have the 235 size tire. Good passenger room and room for cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Noise isolation, folding flat passenger seat, navigation, better roll over resistance.

Recommended
By Roman

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Pleasure to own. Versatile, high clearance, performs well in stop-n-go and light on its wheels on the highway. Reliable (Japanese design). Good looks. Comfortable with the power seat (big deal for me since my wife is 5'2" and has trouble with driver's seat ergonomics). Side airbags. Lots of room.

Favorite Features

AWD, power, handling, extras (power seat, in-dash CD-changer).

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise plus either a bigger fuel tank or better gas mileage (maybe my fuel level sensor is just too trigger happy, but I have to fill up every 200+ miles or so in the city though never more than about 14 gallons even with the light on for a while).

Mazda Tribute Lemon
By Tim

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After buying this I had to take it back the next day for a leak on the transmission. They had to replace the rear seal and plug. Since then I have had the brakes, battery, brake booster, window controls, cruise control, gas tank, gas cap replaced (along with a few other items). Now the transmission went out, wonder if it is related to the original leak. $3300 for a transmission, what a rip off. Please do not buy one, or any Mazda. Service here is not the best either.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, when you have it to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Junk the entire Tribute program and go to something else.

Great SUV
By Roth

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tribute for 1 year and its been everything I'd hoped for in the 30k miles I've put on it so far. It's big enough to haul almost anything I need to move, it drives and handles great in any condition, including sand and deep snow, it even does great when pulling a trailer. There are a couple minor problems; wind noise is louder than it should be, and the Ford built automatic transmission shutters if you don't frequently flush the tranny fluid. Gas mileage tops out near 20 even on the highway The gear shift selector blocks the radio controls, but you get used to that. Overall, its a great little SUV for the money.

Favorite Features

Great look, lots of cargo room, overall dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign automatic transmission, make the V-6 available in a 5 speed tranny, reduce wind noise, better MPG.