1993 Mazda MX-6 Consumer Review: Great handling, nice shape, fu

1993 Mazda MX-6 - Consumer Review

LS Coupe (2.5L V6 5-speed Manual)

Great handling, nice shape, fun with some flaws.
By ajerimez on

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 2dr Coupe

The second gen MX-6, with its unique looks and sporty handling, enjoys a small but loyal following nearly two decades after it was discontinued in 1997. I bought mine with 93,000 miles, put another 20,000 on the clock (which included a NY-CA round trip), and sold it for what I paid without incurring any major expenses. I liked it a lot and actually felt a twinge of seller's remorse when I let it go. Since it shares the same underpinnings as the Ford Probe, replacement parts are inexpensive and not hard to find. It's basically a reliable and fun ride with a few quirks. Offers great bang for your buck, but they're getting harder to find in good condition as time goes on.

Styling - This is the main reason I bought an MX-6. Its smooth, flowing shape is expressive without being overstated. It's a sexy car and I enjoyed just looking at it. Handling - Even completely stock, this car feels planted and really hugs the road. Ergonomics - The seats, driving position, and interior layout were comfortable. I could take long trips without feeling fatigued. Rear seats fold down to accommodate large items. Fuel Economy - My 5-speed LS averaged 28mpg highway. Not bad for a 20 year old V6. Stereo - This car has a surprisingly decent six-speaker audio system, though my CD player was DOA.

Engine - The 2.5 liter V6 is reliable, but mine ate a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and its hydraulic lifters chattered. Could use a few more horses too. Transmission - The 5-speed manual (which is really the only good option for the MX-6) is notchy and stubborn when cold. And even after it's warmed-up, good luck engaging first gear unless the car is at a standstill. Replacing the transmission fluid with Redline is supposed to help, but suffice to say it's not a BMW gearbox. The automatic is reputed to be unreliable and should be avoided. Fit & Finish - My MX-6 suffered from annoying squeaks and rattles from the door panels, rear deck lid, and center console. Window switches fail too.