1999 Mazda Millenia Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Millenia - Consumer Reviews

1999 Millenia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

Sort Reviews by

99' Mazda Millinia
By mrm2u2004

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

Can't say enough about reliability, I bought it new and it still drives with the performance as the day I drove it off the lot. I have 180K miles and still going. Never let me down on the highway. over 12yrs the only things that I have had to replace was an alternator after 70K miles, radiator after 130Kmiles, timing belt after 150kmiles, all other maintenance was routine done by myself such as brakes and oil changes. Great buy only regret is seating is low and now highway noise...but after 12 yrs who can complain!

unique
By MLong

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

while I've only owned my milly for a month, I have always admired them for their very unique look. I'm a Mazda "fanboi" anyways and have owned several over the course of my life. the first thing I noticed about this car is that it would be exceptionally easy for me to work on myself as its engine is very similar to the MX-6 powerplant, which Ive owned 2 of and still own one today. the 2.5l engine is not expensive to maintain, but the 2.3l S engine certainly is. you will read several sites saying to watch for trans failures, that is mostly centered around the S model, not the non-S model. I'm planning on keeping this car for some time as I absolutely love it.

Favorite Features

just about everything, but mostly the body style, its not as "boxy" looking as its "peers" of the same timeline. definitely has a character that is all its own.

Suggested Improvements

bring it back with taller gearing to give it better mpg. 27/28 isn't bad for a 6 cyl, but the engine can certainly handle lower RPM. make a 2 door coupe version, name it the millenia X6, w/ optional 6 speed manual :D

Nice Car
By NICE CAR

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from a family friend with 100,000 miles drove it for 3 years to 174,000 with no problems still sad it died in a accident. I am looking for another one after a great expirence with my first. Only issue was check engine light on for no reason.

Favorite Features

People always think its a Lexus, lookis fantastic in pearl white with a tan bottom

Suggested Improvements

cold weather package

1999 Base Model Millenia
By Robert OBrien

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for more than 7 years and 100K miles after buying it used with 40K miles. At 150K, small problems are creeping in like Power Steering Pump and CV boots, but before now I have done nothing but brakes, tires and belts. Great car that feels solid and provides great value compared to other cars in this segment. This is my families 4th mazda and all have reached 150K or more with little to no problems. AC system is the best I've ever seen!!!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, dash layout, Air conditioning system

Suggested Improvements

Hoping for slightly better mileage since I drive like an old lady

Still happy!
By Diane

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mazda Millenia new in 1999. It has been reliable and is still fun to drive! My previous car was a Mazda 626, had that for 9 years (106,00 miles)and because of how well it held up, I knew I would want another Mazda. The Millenia's style still turns heads. Nobody can believe I've had it 10 years. Gas mileage is around 20-24mpg. For the past several years, my husband will ask me if I'm ready to trade her in, but I have said no. I still enjoy my Mazda!

Favorite Features

Stylish, great sound system, leather interior, good gas mileage, it's reliable!

Bargain Lexus
By zachattack

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

When I test drove my Millenia I was amazed. It had 101,000 miles on it and was in perfect shape. They drive like a Lexus but cost half the price. Driver and front passenger have lots of leg room, but not near enough head room. The backseat seems to be more comfortable. The dash layout is very well done in my opinon, and the automatic steering wheel is a nice touch. The Bose sound is fantasic. The steering is smooth, quick and very accurate. the brakes are great and stop fast. The car just feels SOLID. The only thing I can say that truly bothers me about the car is the fact that parts are extremely expensive for a Japanese car. And most work needs to be done at the dealer.

Favorite Features

Automatic tilt steering wheel, Bose sound, and a well placed sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Bring them back into production. Make the parts prices reasonable with other Japanese cars. Also a REAL horn would be nice, I feel like im honking a motorscooter horn.

Great used car
By Louie B

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I have thoroughly enjoyed my used 1999 Mazda Millenia. It has been extremely reliable and has averaged in the 25-26 mpg range since I bought it. The exterior is clean and sporty and although the interior lacks some polish, it is an overall nice investment. The dealership that I purchased it from can not keep them on his lot. I think these vehicles are more popular as reliable used cars than they were when they were introduced new.

Favorite Features

I like the sophisticated yet sporty exterior. The alloy wheels make it appear as though it is ready to prowl!

Suggested Improvements

Interior lacks the upgraded appearance that most luxury cars include.

Good Reliable Car
By mm

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed this vehicle with no problems and it still runs great for a 99. I am 6' and entering and exiting the vehicle leaves little headroom and sits pretty low once seated. For the price I am truly satisfied with the reliability even though it lacks some of the luxury features.

Favorite Features

Handles well on the road.

Suggested Improvements

More luxury perks and seating is too low and no under the hood light.

99 Mazda Millenia
By Good Mazda

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

The car has had some minor problems that were covered by the extended warranty, i.e., upper control arms had to be replaced, knock sensor (2 times), and the EGR valve. Other than that, the car has been great and now has 98K miles on it. It has good power, drives and brakes well, and gets great gas mileage. I think the car would probably go well over 100K miles. It looks new!

Favorite Features

The moon/sun roof, radio/cd player has great sound, gas mileage is terrific!

Suggested Improvements

I think the front suspension, i.e., struts/strut mounts and control arm bushings (which can't be replaced with replacing the control arm}, need redesign.

Millenia Great but unable to get SMOG'd
By MichaelC333

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I loved my Millenia, ... bought in Oct. '99 until I tried to get it SMOG'd the first time last Oct - when it had only 24,000 miles on it. This may be a "California" issue, but to the consumer, it is a Mazda issue. Mazda insists it is a "drive cycle" issue. After 3 trips to triple A for DMV registration extentions, I'm out of patience (with only 24,000 miles on my vehicle and a "malfunction indicator light" that will not go out. Someone has to fix this. It's a problem I hear over and over and over. Codes come up and until they go away, the consumer pays. Mazda's are reknown for this. A very bad deal - for such a great car - otherwise.