2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
MAZDA DISAPPOINTS.
By albert36 on 02/26/12 09:17 AM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission in our late model Mazda 5 failed at 74,000 km. Needless to say we were both surprised and disappointed to have the transmission fail so pre-maturely. Mazda dealerships claimed it was out of their hands and directed us to Mazda Canada. Mazda’s Head Office in turn said even though the mileage was within warranty, the expiry date had recently passed, therefore no remedy or compensation would be forthcoming. No, not even goodwill. Mazda Canada was unwilling to acknowledge that if a vehicle fails at 74,000 km, it's not unreasonable to consider the cause might be a manufacturing defect in that vehicle. How many cars would any auto manufacturer sell if their transmissions have such a short life expectancy? There were various reasons given for lack of help including no service records in the Mazda database, despite our submission of service records. It seems that the service work of licensed mechanics in Canada is not good enough for Mazda. Apparently they need to be employed by Mazda authorized -dealers. As new transmissions are not available from Mazda, the dealerships offer rebuilt transmissions for $2,900.00 with a one year warranty, no extended warranty available. A nationwide transmission company has quoted $2,000 for the same work and will extend the warranty to three years for about $400 more. Despite not employing the service of Mazda mechanics, the national transmission chain is confident enough in their workmanship to offer a non-prorated warranty that’s 3 times longer than Mazda ‘s! We went back to Mazda Canada, requested that they make up the $800 difference and have the work done at one of their dealerships. We believe our request for some compensation was fair and reasonable. The answer back from Mazda was no. We’ve been told that auto manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars. Fair enough. If Mazda had even offered a $1,000 or so rebate on a future purchase of a Mazda vehicle, that would have been acceptable. That purchase of a future Mazda would still net Mazda a profit even after the rebate was applied, the company would retain the loyalty of a Mazda driver while we would have the comfort of knowing that we are dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind their products and values us as long term customers. As it turns they now have a Mazda family that does not have a good story to tell and will likely never purchase a Mazda again.

Very Utilitarian, But Loud Tire eater
By ronwho on 09/04/11 14:07 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 5 new. 4 years 66K later, wife has a love-hate relationship. It is very utilitarian and it has been very reliable. We've only had to replace a broken strut. (Free with our MEPP extended warranty) It gets decent mileage- about 23-24 mpg. However, we have to replace tires every 18 to 20K. Low profile tires pop when you hit a big pothole (unavoidable in OK) with one bent wheel so far. Interior road noise is so loud that we have to yell to the back seat. I mean REALLY loud. The AC loses some cool when you accelerate hard and my wife will only run it on recirculate to get cold- but it does get cold. We are buying a CX-9 and giving 5 to teenager. Will see if 9 is better quality.

Mostly happy
By JustpeachyinDC on 03/30/10 19:29 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought ours new in July '07. Overall, this is a very good car for a new family with small children. Easy access with the sliding rear doors but it doesn't feel like your driving a minivan. Needs more horsepower! We have averaged 23 mpg in mixed driving since we bought the car, not bad but not great. Routinely get 27 on the highway even with the Thule cargo box on top. This car is one of Mazda's best kept secrets!

My Favorite Car
By Catherine on 03/01/10 15:59 PM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This has been my favorite car I've ever owned. I had a Kia minivan before that I hated. I like that it drives like a car but the sliding doors make it super easy to get the kids in and out. I love the third row seating so we can take Grandma with us sometimes. It has great cargo area for groceries. Agree with the road noise and I wish the front passenger seat had an armrest. Agree that the seats are not comfortable for long drives. Shocked to discover that the side mirrors were not heated. Paint seems to chip very easily and the battery won't hold a charge (but it's winter and I don't drive it enough). Transmission does seem to hesitate sometimes. Key is huge.

low profile tires
By Catherine Hoff on 02/05/09 07:42 AM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I found that the Mazda 5 has it's advantages as well as disadvantages. The interior and seats are very comfortable. We went from a mini van and I do miss the leg room on the drives side that the mazda 5 lacks. My husband finds the gas peddle small and close to the brake.

Puts the mini in Minivan
By Martin on 08/01/08 21:03 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has had one for about 20 months now. This car has proven much more versatile then a more expensive station wagon. Handling is exceptional for a minivan and above average for a car. Between the balanced weight distribution and the independent suspension, this car can actually corner! Also, it can be bought in a stick! which makes it all the more peppier. We drive the car in winter (including last years record breaking one) and it is not the best winter car. But if you buy winter tires you won't get stuck. Reliability: In 35000 km over 18 months of mixed driving the only repair has been a shock absorber on the left rear wheel. Not bad at all.

A passenger armrest short of perfection!
By zabellasdad on 10/12/07 01:17 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is hands down THE BEST car you can get for $20K or under. WOW! I got a Grand Touring trim with nice leather, 6-disk CD (great sound btw), Xenon lights with adjustable angle (are you serious?), moonroof, cool pocket-knife style keys w/remote entry, etc, etc. Can you find another car on the market at this price with all these features? I traded my 98 Suburban for this thing in a heartbeat! Drove my first 180 miles and barely at half tank, that’s only 7 gallons! There are few oversights by Mazda. The biggest one being the lack of front passenger armrest. What? Did someone spill coffee on that part of the blueprint at Mazda design team meeting? But overall, it is AWESOME!!!

Great MPV, but no SUV
By Hansen on 09/07/07 23:09 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We read all the great reviews regarding the Mazda5, and for the most part they are correct, but we live in Edmonton, Alberta, and we traded in an 03 Explorer for the 5. It was a mistake, but at least we have a vehicle that is less expensive to own and operate. We miss the 4WD, and the SUV is much better during the winter. We feel the Mazda5 is better than minivans we owned prior. The 5's heater is lacking and there is no rear heat, the low profile tires should be changed for winter tires, the car "skwacks" over bumps when it is cold. However in the summer this vehicle is fun, it gets great fuel economy, it's practical, great to drive and easy to park.

Not a bad little vehicle
By Chris on 08/21/07 09:43 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned my 2006 auto for a little over a year now. I average about 110 miles a day in this car. Gas mileage has ranged from 27 to 33 highway, depending on speed and use of AC. I had the windows tinted. I do notice some rattles now that I have close to 30K. The road noise is excessive as well. Someone else mentioned this too that the black interior is a bear to keep clean, it shows everyting. The heater doesnt seem to pump out consistent air temp and the A/C light goes on when using the auto feature, even if it's cold out. Dont understand that logic. All in all though, you get a lot of vehicle for the price.

I love this car
By jen on 04/29/07 05:57 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car!!! It is the perfect thing for moms with two children who occasionally need to transport two more. The car itself is fun to drive, drives like a car but has space like a van. It is the best of both worlds and I feel good that it is not a full size minivan.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.