Used 2007 Mazda 5 Grand Touring Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

MAZDA DISAPPOINTS.
By albert36

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission in our late model Mazda 5 failed at 74,000 km. Needless to say we were both surprised and disappointed to have the transmission fail so pre-maturely. Mazda dealerships claimed it was out of their hands and directed us to Mazda Canada. Mazda’s Head Office in turn said even though the mileage was within warranty, the expiry date had recently passed, therefore no remedy or compensation would be forthcoming. No, not even goodwill. Mazda Canada was unwilling to acknowledge that if a vehicle fails at 74,000 km, it's not unreasonable to consider the cause might be a manufacturing defect in that vehicle. How many cars would any auto manufacturer sell if their transmissions have such a short life expectancy? There were various reasons given for lack of help including no service records in the Mazda database, despite our submission of service records. It seems that the service work of licensed mechanics in Canada is not good enough for Mazda. Apparently they need to be employed by Mazda authorized -dealers. As new transmissions are not available from Mazda, the dealerships offer rebuilt transmissions for $2,900.00 with a one year warranty, no extended warranty available. A nationwide transmission company has quoted $2,000 for the same work and will extend the warranty to three years for about $400 more. Despite not employing the service of Mazda mechanics, the national transmission chain is confident enough in their workmanship to offer a non-prorated warranty that’s 3 times longer than Mazda ‘s! We went back to Mazda Canada, requested that they make up the $800 difference and have the work done at one of their dealerships. We believe our request for some compensation was fair and reasonable. The answer back from Mazda was no. We’ve been told that auto manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars. Fair enough. If Mazda had even offered a $1,000 or so rebate on a future purchase of a Mazda vehicle, that would have been acceptable. That purchase of a future Mazda would still net Mazda a profit even after the rebate was applied, the company would retain the loyalty of a Mazda driver while we would have the comfort of knowing that we are dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind their products and values us as long term customers. As it turns they now have a Mazda family that does not have a good story to tell and will likely never purchase a Mazda again.

Very Utilitarian, But Loud Tire eater
By ronwho

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 5 new. 4 years 66K later, wife has a love-hate relationship. It is very utilitarian and it has been very reliable. We've only had to replace a broken strut. (Free with our MEPP extended warranty) It gets decent mileage- about 23-24 mpg. However, we have to replace tires every 18 to 20K. Low profile tires pop when you hit a big pothole (unavoidable in OK) with one bent wheel so far. Interior road noise is so loud that we have to yell to the back seat. I mean REALLY loud. The AC loses some cool when you accelerate hard and my wife will only run it on recirculate to get cold- but it does get cold. We are buying a CX-9 and giving 5 to teenager. Will see if 9 is better quality.

Favorite Features

Seats 6, Decent MPG, back seats fold down easily, with 4years/66K reliability has been good so far.

Suggested Improvements

ROAD NOISE, stronger wheels and less tire issues (I assume it is a suspension camber issue)

Mostly happy
By JustpeachyinDC

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought ours new in July '07. Overall, this is a very good car for a new family with small children. Easy access with the sliding rear doors but it doesn't feel like your driving a minivan. Needs more horsepower! We have averaged 23 mpg in mixed driving since we bought the car, not bad but not great. Routinely get 27 on the highway even with the Thule cargo box on top. This car is one of Mazda's best kept secrets!

Favorite Features

Sliding rear doors, seating for six, large cargo area, fun to drive, unique look. A lot of value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

A/C for rear seats (fixed on later model years), armrest for passenger (also fixed on later model years), gas pedal to close to the brake pedal, more hp (50 or so). Some problems being reported with the bushings on the front stabilizer bars, mine started making noise at about 42k.

My Favorite Car
By Catherine

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This has been my favorite car I've ever owned. I had a Kia minivan before that I hated. I like that it drives like a car but the sliding doors make it super easy to get the kids in and out. I love the third row seating so we can take Grandma with us sometimes. It has great cargo area for groceries. Agree with the road noise and I wish the front passenger seat had an armrest. Agree that the seats are not comfortable for long drives. Shocked to discover that the side mirrors were not heated. Paint seems to chip very easily and the battery won't hold a charge (but it's winter and I don't drive it enough). Transmission does seem to hesitate sometimes. Key is huge.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear doors! Heated seats! It's not too big/not too small, third row seating, roomy cargo area, leather interior, satellite radio, keyless entry, window locks

Suggested Improvements

Rubber floor mats don't hold enough water, the paint chips easily, don't care for the low profile tires, auxiliary input for stereo, heated mirrors

low profile tires
By Catherine Hoff

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I found that the Mazda 5 has it's advantages as well as disadvantages. The interior and seats are very comfortable. We went from a mini van and I do miss the leg room on the drives side that the mazda 5 lacks. My husband finds the gas peddle small and close to the brake.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the heated leather seats for the price. The gas milage is great. The side air bags are an important safety feature.

Suggested Improvements

I signed off on low profile tires not realizing that if you live in an area that has pot holes (who doesn't) then you are going to have trouble with bent rims. I was very disappointed that they were bent and are likely to encounter that again. $1200 dollars to fix it. Beware-low profile tires