2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Cheaply-Made Piece of Garbage!
By Jenny Ondioline on 07/13/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Let's see, first off the remote locking system lasted, at most, for 6 months. It no longer works properly and the dealership had no idea of how to fix it. Secondly the tire wear -- which so many people have already described. Car's a little over 4 years old and needs its second set of replacement tires. Thirdly, the AC and air vents mysteriously blow hot air at me no matter what settings I use. Fourth, I hit a pothole and blew the transmission system, which was fortunately covered by Mazda. However it took Cooley 3 weeks to fix it. They went to put the new transmission into the car, and dropped it. Had to order a new one. Piece of crap from a shoddy dealer. VERY disappointed. Never again!

Not a keeper
By alissimo on 04/20/10 22:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Car started out ok but after the miles wore on, its deficiencies wore thin. 1) Oil changes were a pain with 7 10mm bolts to remove the splash panel to get at the antiquated canister oil filter. 2) It comes from the factory with negative camber on the rear wheels: this will insure that the insides of your tires will wear out prematurely and render you tires unsafe in less than 25,000-30,000 miles. 3) Electric locks cannot be relied upon & fail regularly. Lousy GPS! 4) This is a fairly new model, replacement parts (cv boots, axle) are nearly impossible to find aftermarket. The dealer has such huge markup that I left my car up for weeks on jack stands until I finally found an aftermarket part

'06 Mazda 5/Great Concept
By Kelly on 03/07/10 00:10 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Touring 5 new in'06. 4sp ATM. Have 86,000 mix of city and hwy miles. Dealer serviced since new. Overall a great car to drive, very responsive. Great on gas at avg 26 mpg. Tire wear has been a problem, even with reg interval rotations, balance and alignments. Will be needing a third set of tires soon, and they are expensive. Not much traction in snow. Easy to get in and out of. Seats are not very comfortable for long drives. Sub par interior fit and trim. Great sound system...drowns out noise from "cupped" tire rumble. Overall a great little van, but more suited for tooling around town than for taking road trips. Would buy again if the tire wear issue were addressed.

too many problems within a three years
By No more mazdas on 01/04/10 09:50 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many alignment problems with this car. Very loud noise coming from rear-checked but never taken care of. Tires go flat, alignment never done correctly and caused tires to go out over any bump and every bump in the street can be felt and heard.We have approximately 100,000 miles on the car. Each time we have had a flat tire we were told it was because of the alignment. One day our right passenger door wouldn't open at all. Once we opened it, it would not close so we had to tie it down so that we could drive home and we were 4 hours away from home and the temperature was 20-25 degrees. This car has not been what I thought it would be. Very dissatisfied with it.

It was nice in the beginning beginni....
By sridout on 12/09/09 08:00 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just turned mine back to the dealership after 100000km. I need to say in the beginning it was really nice, in the end I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I replaced all of the shocks once. I was about to replace my 2nd set of rotors and I am not heavy on the brakes. The dash board cover around the radio scratched easily. Car hung up on snow. Tires wore fast and where expensive to replace. The locks on the sliding doors were replaced twice. Rims sat outside the tires so if you touched the curb you grind the rims. Over all build quality was lacking. The best thing about the car was the stereo.

Great if you love to purchase tires !!
By kd3004 on 12/01/09 05:53 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was excited about this car at first because of the manual option with six passenger seating. That was short lived once I realized that this car gets horrible gas mileage for a 4cyl. I average around 20mpg. This is a 50/50 combo of highway/city. Then, the tires/suspension/alignment problems... I am at 67,000 and bout to purchase my 3rd set of tires! This will be the fourth set on the car itself. I had suspension problems right away and it was taken to the dealer 5-6 times. The last time I thought it had been fixed!! The noise was gone!! But the tire wear was unreal!! Buyer beware!! Factor in yearly tire replacement!!!

Engine problems
By Mary on 09/01/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Agree with other reviewers that battery was poor and had to be replaced early in the ownership. Also had problem with driver side rear door latch not closing in cold weather. Kept all service appointments with Mazda dealership, 80,000 km on car, and yet the engine literally fell out of the car while we were driving on the highway at 90km/h.... many parts scattered all over the highway and smoked pouring out. About 3 minute warning from the "check engine" light before this happened. Will not buy this car again.

BAD TIRES!
By nlhjacob on 08/02/09 19:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because it had extra seats and fair mpg...in comparison to others w/ extra seating. The tires are awful! Should not be on this car. They were replaced at 19,000 miles. Got new ones, rotated once, took in to rotate again and was told that they can't be rotated because my rims are bent and that would cause steering wheel vibration (to be worse than it already is). Rims get bent from potholes because the low profile tires on this car do not protect the rims. The tires/rims on this Mini-Van make this car a very bad purchase. If regular tires were on it, it would be a pretty good car, but they're not so it is a very big mistake to buy a 5. It'll keep on costing you money!

watch out for electrical gremlins!
By nslimm on 03/24/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 06 GT 5 speed manual. I really enjoy driving this van and I get great mileage. But during cold weather the e-brake doesn't work all the time and the dealership has tried to fix this 6 times. They have now replaced the calipers on one side only. Also, the headlights flash on and off on their own. I live outside the city so it really is noticeable on the highway when the headlights turn off for two seconds or more. They cycle through 9 or 10 times on and off so it looks like I am warning of a police radar trap ahead! NOT FUNNY! My last trip through the mountains the headlights turned off 34 times over 300 miles.

Excellent for urban and highway driving
By Howard on 03/12/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for over three years and I am very satisified. It is easy to maneuver and park in city traffic and has an amazingly short turning radius. It is very comfortable for four people traveling long distances. With the manual transmission it gets about 21-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway. Contrary to some other reports, this car does not seem underpowered to me. It goes through mountains just fine with four passengers, luggage and a bike rack on top. This may be due in part to the manual transmission. However, off-the-line performance is noticeably worse with six in the car. It's not a drag racer, but I have never had any trouble keeping up with traffic.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.