Used 2006 Mazda 5 Touring Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Cheaply-Made Piece of Garbage!
By Jenny Ondioline

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Let's see, first off the remote locking system lasted, at most, for 6 months. It no longer works properly and the dealership had no idea of how to fix it. Secondly the tire wear -- which so many people have already described. Car's a little over 4 years old and needs its second set of replacement tires. Thirdly, the AC and air vents mysteriously blow hot air at me no matter what settings I use. Fourth, I hit a pothole and blew the transmission system, which was fortunately covered by Mazda. However it took Cooley 3 weeks to fix it. They went to put the new transmission into the car, and dropped it. Had to order a new one. Piece of crap from a shoddy dealer. VERY disappointed. Never again!

Favorite Features

Loved the idea of a small, fuel-efficient micro van. Turns out the kids are outgrowing the back seats already. Can't put adults in there no matter what their demo video claims!

Suggested Improvements

Start from scratch. There is absolutely nothing about this that's a keeper, other than the concept. Great concept, TERRIBLE execution. I wish Mazda luck, but I won't be buying another one ever!

Not a keeper
By alissimo

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Car started out ok but after the miles wore on, its deficiencies wore thin. 1) Oil changes were a pain with 7 10mm bolts to remove the splash panel to get at the antiquated canister oil filter. 2) It comes from the factory with negative camber on the rear wheels: this will insure that the insides of your tires will wear out prematurely and render you tires unsafe in less than 25,000-30,000 miles. 3) Electric locks cannot be relied upon & fail regularly. Lousy GPS! 4) This is a fairly new model, replacement parts (cv boots, axle) are nearly impossible to find aftermarket. The dealer has such huge markup that I left my car up for weeks on jack stands until I finally found an aftermarket part

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control in door locks. Could use a 6 speed manual to get 75 mph revs below 3,500 rpm on the manual tranny. Also need to ditch 1950's canister oil filters for spin on filters.

'06 Mazda 5/Great Concept
By Kelly

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Touring 5 new in'06. 4sp ATM. Have 86,000 mix of city and hwy miles. Dealer serviced since new. Overall a great car to drive, very responsive. Great on gas at avg 26 mpg. Tire wear has been a problem, even with reg interval rotations, balance and alignments. Will be needing a third set of tires soon, and they are expensive. Not much traction in snow. Easy to get in and out of. Seats are not very comfortable for long drives. Sub par interior fit and trim. Great sound system...drowns out noise from "cupped" tire rumble. Overall a great little van, but more suited for tooling around town than for taking road trips. Would buy again if the tire wear issue were addressed.

Favorite Features

Great handling and turning radius. Great looking little car. Great gas mileage. 6' of interior space for hauling with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down. Good dealer service.

Suggested Improvements

Correct problems causing premature tire wear. Design front seats to accommodate adults over 5'5" a little more comfortably.

too many problems within a three years
By No more mazdas

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many alignment problems with this car. Very loud noise coming from rear-checked but never taken care of. Tires go flat, alignment never done correctly and caused tires to go out over any bump and every bump in the street can be felt and heard.We have approximately 100,000 miles on the car. Each time we have had a flat tire we were told it was because of the alignment. One day our right passenger door wouldn't open at all. Once we opened it, it would not close so we had to tie it down so that we could drive home and we were 4 hours away from home and the temperature was 20-25 degrees. This car has not been what I thought it would be. Very dissatisfied with it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Cost to fill up. Sliding passenger doors.

Suggested Improvements

Place an arm rest on the front passenger seat; fix the car so that larger tires and can be used.

It was nice in the beginning beginni....
By sridout

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just turned mine back to the dealership after 100000km. I need to say in the beginning it was really nice, in the end I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I replaced all of the shocks once. I was about to replace my 2nd set of rotors and I am not heavy on the brakes. The dash board cover around the radio scratched easily. Car hung up on snow. Tires wore fast and where expensive to replace. The locks on the sliding doors were replaced twice. Rims sat outside the tires so if you touched the curb you grind the rims. Over all build quality was lacking. The best thing about the car was the stereo.

Favorite Features

Stero

Suggested Improvements

Better rotors, better door locks, Better parts on the sliding doors. Improve rim design. Spec better tires. Replacing tires after 30000km is sad.