Used 2012 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Nice carl
By Tom bailey

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent valuel steering&a handling set this car apart from competition. Good. Power;plenty of room.

The love of my life.
By Nicole

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first car (I'm 17 years old). I bought it used with 90,000 miles, chips and dings, and a spoiler, all directing to the fact that the person before me had a blast with it. Still, I've had the car for around a year and haven't had a single problem with it. It's not a sports car by any means, but it is very, very quick. It accelerates like a bolt of lightning, takes corners at any speed you'd like without squealing or pulling from the ground, and the steering is taught and responsive. The turning radius is incredibly tight, and the whole car feels extremely aerodynamic and sporty, especially for a pretty normal mid-size sedan. The cargo space is roomy, enough for me to put my cello in the back if I fold one of the back seats down, in addition to a stand, a backpack, and a fold up chair (which is a LOT). My favorite part, however, is the styling. I have the dark grey touring sedan with a spoiler and tinted windows. The sides are subtly curved, the back is rounded beautifully, and the front... Well, I can't put it any other way. It's the happiest car I've ever seen. The great big smile on the front of my car is what made me fall in love with it. I have a jolly sense of humor, so I don't take my car very seriously; If you want your car to look serious, skip on this one, you'll hate it. But if you want to drive the jolliest mid-size sedan in your neighborhood, you'll fall in love with the clever (and puzzlingly controversial) grille shape. The bonus to all of the above is the gas mileage. I have the skyactiv engine which allows me to get around 30-40 mpg (and it's also bright blue). I'm so very proud of my car, and I treat it like a baby. I hope to be driving it for a long time from now.

Only thing lacking is comfort
By Gregg Nice

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a dealer demo in December 2012 with 8200 miles on it. Car is almost perfect. Stick shift was smooth and short. Acceleration with the 2.5L engine was more than enough. And the car handled great. Easily the most fun I've ever had driving a car. Also loved the dash. Dual climate control a plus and the AC was ice cold in the S-touring version. Also had buttons in easy to locate places. Never was distracted by needing to look around too much to find a button. Bose sound system is great. Love the exterior and interior looks, clear rear lights and blinkers on the side view mirrors are nice touches. I received lots of compliments on this car. Averaged about 26 MPG combined. Could get 31-32 highway only with No AC, but that's about the best I got.

The one big negative......COMFORT. Because it has a sporty suspension you feel every bump. And the front seats are simply not made very well. Also at 6'2 I'm probably an inch or 2 too tall for this particular car. I needed the seat all the way back and the steering wheel just doesn't telescope far enough out for a comfy driving position. Also the seat back adjusters are very cheap. You'll notice the chair takes a while to click in place when adjusting. Within the first month I noticed it was aggravating my back and hips, and unfortunatly I finally had to move on from it last month as the discomfort just became too much for me.

However if you are under 6'0 and/or comfort is not a huge deal to you, then I would highly recommend this car. I put about 21k miles on it in the year and a half I had it and never had a single problem. Drove and handled like a dream. And the stick shift was really fun to drive. It's clear Mazda put most of the money under the hood of this car. Which I don't think is a bad thing. Interior doesn't have the greatest materials but I never had a problem with them. If you want a car that's fun to drive that is reliable, safe, and good looking, this is the way to go. If you want a sedan with a smooth ride, look elsewhere.

Easy to drive. Easy to live with. Worth a look
By D del Rosario

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 09/11 (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

It's been a terrific car with no problems whatsoever. It's funner to drive than your typical civic or Corolla and gets as good if not better fuel economy. I think the design interior and exterior wasn't the most impressive - goofy front end, dash layout while functional not very appealing. But that's easy to live with given the other attributes of the car. Back seat is pretty tight, ride firmer than others but not uncomfortable and quite a bit of road noise. Steering is as good as it gets, impressive for this class. Handles well despite not having the grippiest of tires. Gas mileage is great, acceleration on par with others- patience is a virtue here as I've never driven a car in this class that pushes you into the seat save for a wrx or golf gti among others.

I'd certainly consider getting another one of these in the future again and would recommend others to consider.

60,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I’ve returned to update my review with three years of ownership and 60,000 miles under my belt. I take back what I said last time about the lack of driver seat comfort; a couple months after writing that I found a seating position that works for me. I lowered the seat all the way and that has eliminated all of my leg room problems. Piloting the Mazda is now a pretty comfortable experience if driving for less than a few hours.

Steering and handling is still great. I replaced the stock tires with some Bridgestone Potenza summer rubber and this thing sticks to the pavement like glue.

I have already spoken of its fuel economy but I think it's worth noting that I once achieved 44 mpg on a tank with an average speed of 29 mph. All I did was accelerate gradually and use cruise control a lot. It's possible to get over 600 miles out of a single tank. This is not the most practical car in the world, there isn’t a lot of rear seat legroom and the trunk is small, but you’d be surprised what kind of stuff you can fit into it with the seats folded down. A TV stand in the box? No problem. I haven’t had to visit the dealership for anything other than routine maintenance. Oil changes every 7,000 miles and brake pads are just now needing replaced.

The biggest issue is the tight suspension. The new Mazda3 is a lot better in that respect, but you’ll be feeling a lot of bumps in the '12 and '13 models. I love the design of the interior but it’s a little on the cheap side compared to a few of its competitors. Takes forever to heat up, I get about halfway to work by the time the blue light on the instrument panel disappears and warm air starts coming out of the vents. The AC also isn't the greatest. Still recommend this for someone who wants a fuel efficient car but enjoys driving. Look elsewhere if you want an upscale interior, soft ride or lots of backseat room.