2011 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

So far so good.
By mazda4_life

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I got a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback just last week after doing some initial research into the car. I have owned a 2003 Mazda 6 in the past and my sister has owned a 2004 Mazda 3. The newer features are nice, but I miss the 1 touch drivers window. I don't have GPS and its an auto with 42 K on it.

First new used car, and I love it!
By jugar123

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've bought this car about a month ago and put about 2,000 miles, and let me say, its amazing to drive. It handles the taconic curves like nobodies business. I love the bucket seats, makes the car feel like a sports car. I do have to admit, the back seat is a little tight for tall passengers, but its not a big deal at all. It's a perfect commuter car in my opinion. I average out 28-30, while doing 75-80 with the AC which is amazing. A full tank gets me about 450-500 miles that's mostly highway mileage . Great car.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that I get in the car, and my music starts playing with the Bluetooth, its very user friendly. I also love the way the center console slides further out for more comfort while holding the lever

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the transmission a little, I feel if you try to accelerate quickly, it takes a second or two for it to drop a gear.

Bittersweet
By holybull

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I wasn't totally in love with the looks of this car but I do like hatches so I test drove it and fell for it right away. It fit me like a glove. A tailored glove. Handling is the best that could be expected from a front-wheel-drive compact. Engine has 175 HP and plenty of torque. The cosmetics are a different story. Windows rattling after not too long of owning it. Cylinder key lock in steering column replaced twice. And now, as if that weren't enough, I've been told I have a cracked piston ring and the thing is SLURPING oil. Not good for a car with only 51000 miles. Never again do I buy a Mazda. first and last. I'm spending more and getting a mini next.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Total overhaul.

New clutch at 20k miles
By chris_1

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I first took my car in to the dealer when I noticed the clutch slipping after I shifted or when I accelerated at freeway speeds. Now, after 16 days, I finally have my 2011 Mazda 3 back with a completely new clutch assembly. Mazda paid 50%, not including the rental car. My final bill: $700 (not including the rental car cost for this time). They replaced not only the clutch disc, but the flywheel and associated bearings and parts. Apparently they consider replacing the clutch at 2 years / 20k miles to be "normal wear and tear" and not under warranty. In my opinion, the fact that it wore out so quickly, in itself, means it was defective.

Favorite Features

I have driven a manual car for almost 10 years (previously a Mazda RX-7) without any issues. I do not abuse my car, I do not ride the clutch, and I do not let anyone else drive the car. Mazda would not allow me to speak to anyone with the authority to assist me, specifically the district manager who made the decision. On top of that, the woman I spoke with when I called their customer service line at (800) 222-5500 was not only unhelpful, but flat out rude and confrontational.

Suggested Improvements

After this experience, I plan to trade this car due to the fact that it will need another new clutch at 40k miles of normal driving. Mazda has lost a loyal customer for life with their "guilty until proven innocent" mentality toward warranty claims.

Great except for the GPS...zero support from Mazda
By jsites

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Great little car. Except the built-in GPS which is a rip-off. My brand new grand touring Mazda 3 came with outdated 2009 copy right maps on and SD card. After having a number of problems and fails with this GPS outdated maps (can't find direct route to the dealership for one thing.) I have attempted to get updated maps..... I am even willing to pay the hideously over-priced fee of $200 to get updated maps, they are simply not available (I was promised by the dealer when I bought these maps were easily upgradeable) The OEM supplier Denso says they are "out of stock", they do not respond to multiple emails I've sent, they refer me back to Mazda, which refers me back to Denso..... what a joke!

Suggested Improvements

Skip the built-in GPS which is not supported by Mazda. They may tell you they've changed to Tom Tom from Denso and things will be better.... well they told me the same about Denso. I honestly can't believe they are getting away with such poor customer support.

Good for 30,000, then all heck breaks loose
By lunaris

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I don't generally review cars, but my experience with this vehicle was so horrible that I felt motivated to counter some of the shameless praise the Mazda 3 receives on this website. To put it bluntly, my Mazda 3 was a troubled vehicle. It was loud from the first day (I knew it would be), but the noise level rose as time passed. The tires wore down very quickly, and were extremely expensive to replace. But, what ultimately killed me was the clutch. Just over 41k miles, the clutch began acting up. I know a fair bit about cars and realized what it was immediately. Come to find that the clutch is a chronic issue for this car -- with many failing far earlier. And even at 15 or 18k, Mazda...

Favorite Features

... still classifies this as 'wear and tear.' I understand a lot of people who drive this make and model are young, but not too long ago, a clutch didn't break until the car was on its last legs. It was like a transmission -- having one go out before a hundred thousand miles was absurd. I've been driving manuals almost exclusively since I was 15. I never had any issues. But this Mazda failed, and it failed quickly, at an extremely inopportune time. I'll never own another Mazda again. Heck, I may never own another manual. The experience was *that* bad. As far as features I liked, the car was zippy and agile, and felt a little bit like a sports car at times.

Suggested Improvements

Well, obviously there needs to be a recall to look at this clutch issue, clearly. It won't happen, but it should be done. I felt like I got ripped off for that reason alone. I also think they need to redesign the model for different tires. No way should I be paying $200 or more per tire on what is marketed as an economy car. Frankly, though, I don't care what they do, because I'll never own one again.

I Love my ZOOM ZOOM
By brittany16

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 2008 red mazda 3 hatchback for 9 months it had almost 55,000 miles on it and not a single problem and I recently traded it in for a 2011 celest blue Mazda 3 Hatch with 29000 miles on it. I have not one complaint about this car. It's 100% perfect. The handling is amazing, it's got plenty of speed and is extremely comfortable. The outside appearance is very sporty and nice looking and the inside is great looking as well. I give mazda 2 thumbs up when it comes to building these cars. I wouldn't trade mine in for the world.

Favorite Features

Sunroof,bose audio, all the blue accent lights, (goes perfect with my outside color) The whole body style from outside to in. I absolutely love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

NONE.

Fun to drive but noisy.
By mka2

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the car at the end of 2011 and currently have 10k miles on it. It's fun to drive, corners on a dime, very responsive and accelerate smoothly. The interior is nice however the seats are not comfortable. Controls are well placed and the car has a lot of nice technology. The GPS is difficult to operate and very annoying. A $200 aftermarket GPS will solve this problem. From day one, I thought the road noise is a bit much however after the first tire rotation the noise became unbearable. Mazda is aware of the quick tread loss and will not do anything about it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Bose audio is great, powerful, peppy and has one of the most reliable blue tooth and hands free controls. Transmission is really smooth and the engine is very responsive. Steering is tight and sporty.

Suggested Improvements

It's really short sight on Mazda's side to install such a poor performing tires when it comes to tread wear and noise. Fellows, your customers are aware of the problem, so get your heads out of the sand and take care of it. It's hurting your future sales. The GPS needs to be replaced with a professional one with better controls. Seats need to be more comfortable.

Fun, flexibile little car; great value
By cheddar_brett

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This car punches above its price. As I write this, I've had the car for about a year and have but 16K miles on. I wanted a wagon or hatch that was fun to drive. This was cheaper than the alternatives I considered. This car replaced my 2-door 2004 Accord EX V6 coupe, and with 2-kids and a hatch for their stuff and my hobbies, a nice upgrade. A smaller overall car, but bigger on the inside than the Accord. It is great for what I need - commuting (including dropping kids at school), weekend run-about car with the fam, occasional weekend trips, and space for chores and hobbies. It's been a year, and I'm thrilled with this car.

Favorite Features

Driving impressions. This car has great handling, is fun to drive. Braking is good. Acceleration is OK (I have the 2.5L engine) but could be better. Interior. Comfortable. Nicely appointed at a good value (CD changer, leather, sunroof, etc) in the GT configuration. Nice amount of space and flexible inside...good for what I need. The kids get in and out fine, it has room for gear, etc. Exterior. I got a Mazda roof-rack on the car for my bikes. It is great, but makes a lot of road noise.

Suggested Improvements

I think they nailed this in the 2012 model; this car needs better mileage, and it sounds like SKYACTIVE delivers this in 2012 and later models. This car has a fair amount of road-noise too. I added a roof rack, which adds a lot of noise. My wife hates it.

Nice but not for me.....
By pure_hp

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the Sport hatchback, automatic. I love the bluetooth and the way it drives, lots of fun. Unfortunately, the wheel doesn't telescope out far enough for me without me being on top of the steering wheel, I'm 6'1. Because of this, the window switches are too far up the door handle; I'm constantly letting the rear windows down.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Bose audio system

Suggested Improvements

All Mazda 2.5L engines are in desperate need of a 6th gear for their automatics to help fuel economy. Sport trim level needs lumbar adjustment/support. One touch up/down for both front windows and one touch open/close for moonroof.