2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
First new used car, and I love it!
By jugar123 on 08/09/14 06:35 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've bought this car about a month ago and put about 2,000 miles, and let me say, its amazing to drive. It handles the taconic curves like nobodies business. I love the bucket seats, makes the car feel like a sports car. I do have to admit, the back seat is a little tight for tall passengers, but its not a big deal at all. It's a perfect commuter car in my opinion. I average out 28-30, while doing 75-80 with the AC which is amazing. A full tank gets me about 450-500 miles that's mostly highway mileage . Great car.

Bittersweet
By holybull on 01/29/14 15:35 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I wasn't totally in love with the looks of this car but I do like hatches so I test drove it and fell for it right away. It fit me like a glove. A tailored glove. Handling is the best that could be expected from a front-wheel-drive compact. Engine has 175 HP and plenty of torque. The cosmetics are a different story. Windows rattling after not too long of owning it. Cylinder key lock in steering column replaced twice. And now, as if that weren't enough, I've been told I have a cracked piston ring and the thing is SLURPING oil. Not good for a car with only 51000 miles. Never again do I buy a Mazda. first and last. I'm spending more and getting a mini next.

New clutch at 20k miles
By chris_1 on 07/29/13 21:18 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I first took my car in to the dealer when I noticed the clutch slipping after I shifted or when I accelerated at freeway speeds. Now, after 16 days, I finally have my 2011 Mazda 3 back with a completely new clutch assembly. Mazda paid 50%, not including the rental car. My final bill: $700 (not including the rental car cost for this time). They replaced not only the clutch disc, but the flywheel and associated bearings and parts. Apparently they consider replacing the clutch at 2 years / 20k miles to be "normal wear and tear" and not under warranty. In my opinion, the fact that it wore out so quickly, in itself, means it was defective.

Great except for the GPS...zero support from Mazda
By jsites on 01/01/13 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Great little car. Except the built-in GPS which is a rip-off. My brand new grand touring Mazda 3 came with outdated 2009 copy right maps on and SD card. After having a number of problems and fails with this GPS outdated maps (can't find direct route to the dealership for one thing.) I have attempted to get updated maps..... I am even willing to pay the hideously over-priced fee of $200 to get updated maps, they are simply not available (I was promised by the dealer when I bought these maps were easily upgradeable) The OEM supplier Denso says they are "out of stock", they do not respond to multiple emails I've sent, they refer me back to Mazda, which refers me back to Denso..... what a joke!

Good for 30,000, then all heck breaks loose
By lunaris on 12/02/12 18:49 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I don't generally review cars, but my experience with this vehicle was so horrible that I felt motivated to counter some of the shameless praise the Mazda 3 receives on this website. To put it bluntly, my Mazda 3 was a troubled vehicle. It was loud from the first day (I knew it would be), but the noise level rose as time passed. The tires wore down very quickly, and were extremely expensive to replace. But, what ultimately killed me was the clutch. Just over 41k miles, the clutch began acting up. I know a fair bit about cars and realized what it was immediately. Come to find that the clutch is a chronic issue for this car -- with many failing far earlier. And even at 15 or 18k, Mazda...

I Love my ZOOM ZOOM
By brittany16 on 10/22/12 11:05 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 2008 red mazda 3 hatchback for 9 months it had almost 55,000 miles on it and not a single problem and I recently traded it in for a 2011 celest blue Mazda 3 Hatch with 29000 miles on it. I have not one complaint about this car. It's 100% perfect. The handling is amazing, it's got plenty of speed and is extremely comfortable. The outside appearance is very sporty and nice looking and the inside is great looking as well. I give mazda 2 thumbs up when it comes to building these cars. I wouldn't trade mine in for the world.

Fun to drive but noisy.
By mka2 on 06/12/12 20:20 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the car at the end of 2011 and currently have 10k miles on it. It's fun to drive, corners on a dime, very responsive and accelerate smoothly. The interior is nice however the seats are not comfortable. Controls are well placed and the car has a lot of nice technology. The GPS is difficult to operate and very annoying. A $200 aftermarket GPS will solve this problem. From day one, I thought the road noise is a bit much however after the first tire rotation the noise became unbearable. Mazda is aware of the quick tread loss and will not do anything about it.

Fun, flexibile little car; great value
By cheddar_brett on 04/16/12 06:52 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This car punches above its price. As I write this, I've had the car for about a year and have but 16K miles on. I wanted a wagon or hatch that was fun to drive. This was cheaper than the alternatives I considered. This car replaced my 2-door 2004 Accord EX V6 coupe, and with 2-kids and a hatch for their stuff and my hobbies, a nice upgrade. A smaller overall car, but bigger on the inside than the Accord. It is great for what I need - commuting (including dropping kids at school), weekend run-about car with the fam, occasional weekend trips, and space for chores and hobbies. It's been a year, and I'm thrilled with this car.

Nice but not for me.....
By pure_hp on 09/26/11 19:17 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the Sport hatchback, automatic. I love the bluetooth and the way it drives, lots of fun. Unfortunately, the wheel doesn't telescope out far enough for me without me being on top of the steering wheel, I'm 6'1. Because of this, the window switches are too far up the door handle; I'm constantly letting the rear windows down.

An excellent, beautiful handling car for the money
By ohioan2 on 09/20/11 18:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Two-plus months and 2,900 miles on my Velocity Red hatch and I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and I enjoy my daily commute in comfort and style. Plenty of power when needed, with great torque, on the 2.5. You're giving up some gas mileage, but I'll pay for the trade off. Still averaging 30-32 mph with mix of highway/city driving, much better than my old V-6. It's nice to be crusing in something different and sporty in the sea of Civics and Corollas. Looks aggressive with those 17-inch alloys, side body crease swoop and is ready to prance. Even the smiley grill is growing on me, although the fog lighs and front license plate wipe off some of the smile.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$125 per month*