2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
65,000 update
By diehard080 on 03/15/14 03:44 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but great driving experiences and initially when this car came out people were wineing about the front end ,now almost every car company has stolen the body of the Mazda 3 2010 hatchback .people are stopping me at gas stations so it seems mazda again way ahead of its time .I'm writing this just after the first plug change & using mobil1 20-50 syn as factory oil in 2010 for the 2.5 was 20-50 Dino , I switched after break in at 10k . Then in 2011 the 2.5 got 0-20 syn as factory oil. So after plug change this thing bloomed like a new car and rips like a rocket that's been sport tuned . It definitely still blueprint balanced .

A Very Fun ride at a great price
By hatcher3 on 12/30/13 17:41 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I leased my 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.5s with Moons and Tunes package in Oct 2010. It has been three awesome years of fun ride. Good: Excellent handling in curves (here in Portland) and really grips well to the road. Very good torque and performance. Overall very good styling in the exterior and the interior. One amazing ride for the price Not so good: Bluetooth could handle adding contacts better. Gas Mileage for a car of this size is not great. I averaged 23/24 over 3 years. High Road Noise which bugged be a bit. The Bose sound helped tune it out, but still it was louder than some other cars I have owners. Not engine noise, but mostly road noise, esp from Tires. Overall- Thumbs Up

Bulletproof-monkey
By diehard080 on 06/05/13 20:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Yep I was admittedly worried that my 2007 was going to be a regrettable trade in on the 2010 2.5 but I just because it was Mazda I had faith in their underdog drive to make things just that much better ,the. 3. Remindes me f the Porsche 911 better by incriments yearly . I got the gt hatchback with the electronically controlled 5 speed automatic with sport shift that actually works ! And well . This tranny shifts smoother than my old mans s500 Mbz. And my 328 BMW from 2002. By far . It's seamless , heck Grand Prix cars all use automatic gearboxes now , it was a choice I don't regret ! Awesome car. Just turned 50k. And it is spot on !

At 44,000
By johnny2003 on 02/24/13 20:19 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

At 44,000, I like mu little Mazda just as much as I did the first day I got it.

30K mile UPDATE-
By diehard080 on 10/11/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have revirewed my 2008 versus this 2010 and already have concluded it just that much better. I will focus on the passing of time,servicing and performance continuity. I replaced the Avid-Yoko's which I found on the harsh side like the previous 08-09 suspension set-ups but slightly more ameinable to all-around driving with a bias towards all-out sports car tuned firmness. I installed Bridestones new Pole Position S-04's and even though the overall tire is heavier at 70-90mph this car is silent and super-stable at 85 I'm turning 2900 rpms and its not even breathing hard -this damn 2.5 wants to be ridden to 120+ and sprout wings. Everyting else is tight and right ! Just oil/filter and gas .

Gets better N better
By diehard080 on 03/28/12 18:47 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Yes its been 2 years since my 2010 was purchased as I traded my 2008 . This car has not failed to continue keeping me looking forward to my next drive . Its broken in properly as I polled the white tape off the paint myself with 2 miles on the odometer. I see people that have cars they complain about and usuall with a car this solid built 100% in Japan there 1 of 2 things going on here . #1 they work for Toyota or Honda and hate Mazdas becuase they rock the socks off those granny mobiles or you bought a Mazda with 10-15 demos thats been hammered into hell by the salespeople and non-buyers that just want to floof a new car and ruin the engine by doing so .These are top notch rides

Underdogs R Best
By diehard080 on 02/10/12 16:28 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I appreciate this Mazda3 GT HB 2.5 auto even more I suspect after driving many other brands , Subaru, Toyota and specificall a 2008 Mazda3 Hb Gt 2.3 ! The upgrade in power has made the biggest change in this cars overall appeal . The suspension has been retweaked to make the slalom in the times it did back in 2008 when the suspension was similar to an old Alfa without shocks .But this one does and the ride is smoother and even more predictable than B4. They eliminated the minor vibrations from the firm suspension and when driving between 45 and 110 I feel like a racing dog that has finally been off leash .broken in w 25K it flys and overtakes cars 3x the cost. driver skill is rewarded!

Really want to love it, but...
By kermitbtys on 10/18/11 22:07 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

2nd review on this vehicle. At first I couldn't say enough good things about it, but the good feeling is gone. Clutch completely destructed at 38K and warranty is only for 12K. I got over 100K on my pervious honda clutch and it was not a $1350 dealer quote to fix it. This is not an uncommon occurance with numerous postings on the web with an average malfunction mileage of 28K...on a year old car no less. Now, my driver side door and hatchback will not unlock with remote, key, or manually. Needless to say, I am not going to continue to climb into the car from the passanger side and lower the rear seats to gain access to the trunk. I just cannot recommend this vehicle anymore.

Tired of reviews from people who don't realize the full capability of the Mazda 3 S
By mazda2go on 10/10/11 15:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I had been researching new cars under $25 grand for two close friends for almost the past two years. I had owned four new Mazda products in my life and had enjoyed each and every one of them. I had traded in my last Mazda, a 2000 Protégé ES, for my dream car which was the new 2005 Ford Mustang. Running errands on a day off during the workweek, I ran across a local Mazda dealership rotating their inventory on their lot. Someone was pulling a Crystal White Pearl Mica 3 S hatchback out of the showroom onto the lot. It caught my eye due to already having had the windows tinted. After finishing my errands, I headed back to the dealership and was approached by the sales lady while texting and sending pictures of the vehicle and window sticker to my friends. It was equipped with the Moonroof/Bose package as well as the 5-speed Sport Automatic transmission and had the black cloth interior. She talked me into taking it for a test drive even though I was not purchasing , only looking for my friends. needless to say, the test drive lasted over thirty minutes and consisted of various types of roads as well as taking it up on the interstate. As much as I had coveted my Ford Mustang, I was thoroughly impressed with the 2010 Mazda 3 S hatchback. So much so, that I left the lot in my new Mazda 3 S on September 8th of 2010. I have had my Mazda for over a year and waited until now, October 10, 2011 to write an accurate review. I have read many mixed reviews with, in my honest opinion, inaccurate information that I do want to clear up. First off, this is a COMPACT car. You need to sit in it, front and back to see if it is right size for you. There is no logical reason to try to put 10 pounds of lard in a 5 pound jar or to put a 12 foot tree in a room with an 8 foot high ceiling. Enough said. Second, it's not going to break the speed barrier. It has a 2.5 liter 152 cubic inch front wheel drive motor that only produces 167 horsepower@ 6000rpm and 168 foot pounds of torque @ 4000 rpm. Its a peppy 4-cylinder motor without a turbo. It will do 0-60 mph in approximately 7.5 to 8.5 seconds depending on having the manual or automatic transmission. If you "need" something quicker the MAZDASPEED 3 is the version for what you want with a turbocharged 2.3 liter 263 hp @5500 rpm with a 6-speed manual. Mazda has this covered for you. Do you really need something quicker? My 2005 Mustang with the 4.0 liter V6 with cold air intake got 17 mpg to 25 mpg and it was running around 225 horsepower at a curb weight of 3300 lbs. On the interstate my Mustang could keep up with a new 2010 Shelby Mustang at twice the price to it's owners dislike. This isn't the Autobahn, so once you are at highway speed a quicker 0-60 and higher top end is irrelevant. It has more than enough power to merge with traffic both on and off the interstate. On an emergency trip to our local vet hospital, I was more than impressed with not only it's speed, but also it's stability and handling. Third, gas mileage is rated at 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway for the automatic that I have. I only commute approximately 8 miles each way daily to work and the majority of the time I take the twisty back road where the trip is more "enjoyable". I average 25 mpg. I have gotten as high as 32 mpg on a trip with both interstate as well as bumper to bumper traffic to nearby Pigeon Forge in the Great Smoky Mountains. Curb weight for the Mazda 3 S hatchback with automatic is 3105 pounds. I am quite happy with my gas mileage with my Mazda. You can drive it like a miser or drive it like you stole it. Either way, I enjoy the ride. Fourth, complaints over the size of the NAVIGATION screen. Although mine does not have navigation, the Tom Tom as well as the Garmin have the same size screen. Mazda just places it in the dash for less glare. I can't see justifying the cost where it is included in a package. Fifth, speaking of electronic features in my Mazda 3 S and many car magazine editors reviews of those features, I just have to say this, you are totally unaware of just what all this car will do for you and you have too many cars to drive at one time. With the Bluetooth feature, it synced up perfectly and easily with my iPhone 3GS. Controls on the left side of the steering wheel will not only answer and disconnect the call for you, but it can initialize a call by voice commands by speaking the number or by programming in your favorite numbers to call. You can also increase or decrease the volume of calls as well as the audio system here. Criticisms over the USB being an extra cost option, with the iPhone it connects thru the stereo via the Bluetooth feature sounding as if it was hardwired into the stereo. There is also a button on the left side of the steering wheel to scroll thru your favorite channel settings next to the volume button. Sixth, winter traction in snow with the factory tires. I read so many negative reviews, I figured that someone, especially someone that worked for an automotive magazine would know how to effectively drive in the snow. Due to having 17 inch tires, snow tires in that size were not an option so I purchased a set of low profile tire chains for under $100. Needless to say, I did practice installing them so that I would be ready in case I needed them, which I do recommend. I did not have to use them when driving in 4 to 6 inches of snow. If you drive according to the weather and road conditions, you should have no problems getting to your destination in the Mazda 3.

catastrophic clutch failure at 14k miles
By natdallas on 06/15/11 15:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've really enjoyed driving this car. I've driven two manual hondas, one subaru and an old datsun. Never any clutch problems. My 2010 Mazda 3 had a tight clutch one day, and then in the course of a day and a half, the clutch engaged the gear only partially--losing power--and finally, with a snapping sound, no power at all. Miriam Stevens (at Mazda North America Customer Care) gave the impression that Mazda does not care about premature clutch failures on this car. I mentioned the many web-postings about customers with similar clutch failures that appear out of nowhere, ending in sudden failure. This issue is not the result of wear and tear. Want to call lawyer.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$128 per month*