1992 Mazda 929 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
Best Car Ever Owned
By Barbara in Alabama on 06/22/07 20:07 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought as a 2nd car used w/30K miles on it. The styling and handling sold it. Drives like a sports car, but is a family sedan as well. All the bells and whistles, well ahead of its time. Brakes superbly balanced for no-dip panic stops, independent 4-wheel suspension, amazing performance. I have another car but can't stand to let this one go. Only major repair was replacement of the A/C and fan-clutch assembly, etc. Dealer repairs very expensive as are parts, but thankfully few have been required. Quite enough trunk space for family vacations. I only have 165,000+ miles on it now, but it still cranks immediately, gets 21 mpg but now burns a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Small tradeoff.

Beautiful and Reliable
By VW on 05/21/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 929 caught my eye in mid '92. Bought my first 929 in Dec '92. It was totalled in Feb '93 and replaced with 929 Premium March '93. This car was/is phenomenal. Body style and finish is incredible. Has better features than Lexus LS 400 of the same year (my husband had one). Vehicle has been low maintenance. Oil changes every 7.5K, repl radiator, water pump, air cond hoses in past 5 years. I have approx 155K miles after 14 years, 3 or 4 fender benders and it stills rides smoothly and looks awesome. I have never kept a car this long, but I can't let the 929 go! It's been good to me.

good car, needed more
By jbronsky on 01/09/07 08:56 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car was a great design - very stylish, the interior is well laid out, and the rear wheel drive performance is adequate. It started out nice, but the build materials showed their quality over time and lots of pieces have broken. All four electric windows, the electric sunroof, numerous interior pieces, etc. If you buy a high mileage car expect it to go south quickly.

Excellent Car
By Jay D. on 07/25/05 21:52 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just hit 252k mi ALL original. Still runs like a champ, and idles silently! Has suffered from a lot of neglect yet it keeps on going and going. I seriously neglect it, for example I have not changed the timing belt, wires, or spark plugs in 7 years.Also,I JUST replaced the oil filter and transmission filter.The oil filter was so clogged NO oil was going through.Same story with trans filter.lol.Great car I love its looks and handling. EXCELLENT features also(solar roof,12 speaker audio, intelligent "fuzzy logic" cruise control,manually shiftable,the hold button,and trans can choose automatically power and shift modes.). I hear some have ride adjustable suspension.Japanese ones had MORE features!!

Great car
By jbird on 07/07/05 11:09 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 929 used with over 150,000 miles on it. I have now over 180,000 miles with minimal replacement costs, (brakes, A/c conversion, belts, etc.). This car is great; gets around 26 mpg, very roomy interior, great power. So good that I prefer to drive it over my 2005 Chevy classic. I plan to keep this car until it quits on me; only thing I fear is the timing belt having to be replaced, big job, expensive labor and parts.

My Best Car Ever
By Rich Stover on 01/01/05 17:47 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Still a good looking car. So much fun to drive. Power to spare and it just sounds like a sports car. A little small in the trunk but a great ride in the back seat also. Unfortunately I now have a drive shaft universal problem and the only way to repair is to pay Mazda $1050 for a whole new drive shaft and universal.

mazda's best car
By Linda Taylore on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

wonderful car thru and thru

Great car
By Jacob Olsen on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i love it, it has way too many features to be a mazda and a '92. i am the original owner of my 929 and it run acceptionally well saying it has 156k miles on it. have had no major repairs whatsoever. Possibly the best looking car to roll out of Japan. Definitely recommended!

1992 Mazda 929
By Tom Farruggia on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has truly been an exceptional vehicle! The styling was "futuristic" in 1992 and today it still appears to many to be a recently designed car. I've had numerous people comment that they thought it was manufactured in 2000 or 2001. After 11 years and 115,000 miles in the midwest, this car has no rust whatsoever! Regular preventive maintenance has insured breakdown free usage for all of those years.

Best car ever!!!
By William Johnson on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has gotta b one of the sweetest cars on the planet.For 11years old it looks brand new!My friends think its a 2000.Heated seats,CD changer,Solar ventilation, and AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL!!!!And all in a 1992..sweet.for 4500lbs the car is accetionally fast...7.2 0-60...Mazda ..how did you guys do it???Also has the best lokking interior I have seen in my life.Very nice stock Panasonic audio,in dash security microphone, and sunlight sensors!I have 280k miles on it..still runs smoothly.