2001 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Good Car For The Money
By Chris on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car four years ago with a little over 70,000 miles on it. In that time, the only big repair I've had to make is replacing the axles due to the CV boots, which were busted when I bought it. Other repairs were minor, including new spark plugs, plug wires, new battery, and a valve cover gasket. Regular maintenance has kept it on the road and relatively problem- free. I trust it to get me to work and back and to occasionally drive almost the full length of Texas and back, which I've done a few times now. The car isn't sexy, but the looks have held up for close to ten years now. Not fun to drive because of the 4 cyl engine. It's just a tool to get from A to B, and it's done it well.

Not a winter car
By Richard on 10/06/08 10:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd 626. It's been a reliable car and gets exceptional fuel economy. It has no frills, but gets me where I have to be... except in the snow. Like my first (1998) 626, it slides all over the place in snow. I've tried several different tires, including snows and there's no drastic improvement. I fear driving on snow-covered roads! The only cumbersome maintenance issue is having to replace a pair of bushings in the rear suspension every 20k-25k. You know when they're worn; the noise is deafening.I've got 105k on the car and really haven't had to put a lot into it. I plan to run it as long as I can up to 200k.

Great family Car
By Dan on 09/16/08 16:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned this car for 6 years. We put over 110000 miles on it. In the whole time that we've owned we only had to replace CV boots and a timing belt. It is comfortable and has great trunk.

Granny tranny
By sucker on 05/13/08 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed rebuilt tranny at 65k. Needed another rebuild 20k later. Trunk leak created by factory defect - leaked water into spare tire well which would soak insulation and cause mildew. Starting to rust around rear tire well. 8k in maintenance and repair costs since I bought it used with 38k mi.

Class problem with auto trans
By Goopie on 03/20/08 07:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car out of the Hertz fleet with 26K on the clock. It was reliable early on, needing only a plug wire set and fuel pump (both replaced under warranty). Now at 100K mi the transmission failed to the tune of $2000, even though I have had it flushed twice and have been running Amsoil synthetic ATF since about 50K mi. Perhaps it would have failed sooner if I hadn't been proactive about the service and premium ATF. It is a Ford CD4E trans and is infamous for failing in this car. Mazda is apparently not standing behind it; there are no recalls and of course now it is out of warranty. The engine has been reliable but due to the trans failure Mazda has lost a customer forever.

Dependable transportation with good MPG
By Jim on 04/09/07 07:57 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd 626. I sold my 1998 626 in 2002, and bought a truck. Sold the truck to get higher MPG going back and forth to work. Pros: MPG (29 highway, 24 all-around), dependable, reliable, no problems to date even with 80K miles (had 59K when I bought it). Cons: Ride quality decent, pick-up and transmission aren't the greatest (but to be expected with a 4 cylinder); AC isn't strong when idling (again, 4 cylinder issue). I'm very happy with this car. It's not fancy, gives a decent ride, has good gas mileage, is dependable, and I can take the family (including 15 and 8 year old) on 4 hours trips with no leg room complaints. It won't create envy of others, but gets you there.

One reliable car
By aaron on 10/20/06 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off this car will not beat too many vehicles on the road. It will get you where you want to go but speed is not what my car is about. I can't speak for the V6 models but my 4 banger is definitely missing the VROOM VROOM. But I haven't had 1 problem with the car yet so its reliability for me is outstanding and gets a 10 thus far. Car has no thrills and is nothing impressive. It just does the job its meant to do and does it well. I think it would be a good car to give to a high school kid or a family. But I wouldn't want to go hit the town in it.

Less than reliable
By Drewp on 09/29/06 14:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car might have been better as a 5 speed manual. I personally would never build a 4 cylinder car with an automatic transmission. It was underpowered and noisy from the beginning. At about 59,000 miles I needed a major tune up and now it has a broken boot and front drive axle and the car has only little more than 70,000. The handling in any weather conditions is sleepy at best. It may be a front drive car but it should be able to control its back end a bit better.

Good Family Car
By Mike on 08/26/05 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been fortunate enough not to have the various problems listed by other owners on this site. Any car (even the allegedly bulletproof Camrys and Accords) can have issues. My 626 is reliable, handles well, and has been a good car for the money. I would seriously consider another Mazda product in the future. It has all of the features of the competition for less. Plus, you don't see one at every stop light (such as the aforementioned Camrys and Accords). I can't vouch for everyone that left the plant, but mine has been great.

Great Car
By rondolio on 07/05/05 12:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle has always been a great car for me. I have only had one warranty issue which was resolved easily with the dealership (broken knob for A/C). Anyway this car compares with the Honda Accord without the big price tag.