Used 1998 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

Excellent Reliable Car
By johndds

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Original owner. ES 300 is extremely reliable: no engine/transmission problem. still get 19+ MPG. Timeless body design. Excellent value. However, does not drive like a BMW.

Used but still a lexus
By avan

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I love this car, the '97 to '00 body style with it's sporty, deliberate lines stemming from its lifted rear to it's lowered front end quite simply seem to flow better than that of the newer models which, though impressive in their own right, seem more to me like that of a family ride. As far as performance is concerned this car handles like a champ and practically drives itself, it's impressive 200 hp is more than complemented by its smooth beyond reason shifting. Interior and dash controls are simple and elegant like that you would expect from Lexus. There is a downside in its poor turning radius but it's made up for by its ease of handling suitable even to that of a 5th grader. 5 out of 5.

Favorite Features

Memory seats, heated seats and side mirrors, adjustable suspension, sporty design, I love the design, by far my favorite ES 300, and the simplicity and sophistication of it's dash and climate controls, the in-dash, not trunk, cd changer puts it over the top.

Suggested Improvements

None serious, different brakes altogether, larger rotors, new caliper design smaller single piston caliper bushings tend to wear too easily causing break pulls and uneven pad wear, AWD would be nice.

Can't Wait to buy another one!
By bwhite

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 130,000. Now has 160,000 and runs as smooth as ever. Very fast and responsive, use synthetic oil for the engine due to the mileage. It still attracts a lot of attention. A little snug for me at 6'2". Highly recommend it. I would absolutely buy another one.

Favorite Features

Driving speed, smooth exterior, very responsive engine.

Suggested Improvements

Could be a litte wider with more headroom for taller drivers. Otherwise, wouldn't change a thing. Also, should come with a cd player.

Still Running Strong
By wilsonmd

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

We've had our car for almost 6 years now. It currently has 140,000 miles on it and I am happy to say they have been carefree miles! We haven't had to do anything to this car (other than normal maintenance)! It still rides smooth and quiet!

Favorite Features

We live in the snowy mountains of Utah and more than once, the traction control has saved us.

Suggested Improvements

Did not come standard with cd player.

Always buy Lexus!
By Tom

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 50000 miles on it, now it has 166000. It still runs and drives like it did when I bought. I'm so sold on Lexus now, that I'm looking into getting another one. I love the ride, it's amazingly quiet and comfortable. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone considering. I drive 60 miles a day to/from work, and this car does great. I live in the 'country' in Texas, and drive to the 'city.' Like I said, I'll buy another one.