Used 1998 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

Black on black beauty!
By Kwam

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Great car. It runs very smooth and has useful features like traction control, heated seats and memory seats. I also like the adjustable suspension. In sport mode it can almost hang with a beemer.

Heated seats, memory seats, smooth and quiet ride, adjustable suspension, responsive engine. The fact that it uses regular gas.

Inside light should come on when you open the car. It should have a telescoping wheel,more responsive steering and the memory seat controls should be in a better location.

Dark of night sale/surprise
By Sandra Hartnell

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at night on the fly after an auto acc. so didn't have it checked out. The radio LED didn't work nor did the lighter/chargers-annoying. The mpg however is 24 consistently and I've gotten up to 28 after servicing across the state. When you have to step on it it REALLY kicks into high gear with a pleasant rush for this resistant to aging gal. I'd buy this car again and will probably keep it a long time. Not crazy that it looks almost exactly like a Camry but the plus is the parts are interchangeable.

The heated seats barely feel warm and I've heard from other owners that the radio LED going out is common. Don't why a 94 Maxima can have heated mirrors but this Lexus doesn't.

Moving on up
By metfan

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Have been a Toyota loyalist for the last 15 years until I purchased my first Lexus about 3 years ago. I bout a 7 year old ES 300 with 100K miles on it. I have put about 50K on it since then and the car has been flawless. I change the oil about every 5K, and that is all that I have needed to do. Yea, I have the CD display problems that everyone else has, but other than that, the car is great! I get a realistic 25 mpg, and can hardly hear the car purring, even when completely stopped. I seriously do not believe they can make a car run any better than this one! I'll drive this baby for another 5 years.

Reliability. Multi-adjustable comfortable leather seats. Large trunk room. Ample rear seat room.

None. This is the perfect car.

I now understand the meaning of quality!
By Rick in Lyndhurst

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago with 180,000 miles on it. Since then I have put about 15k on it with absolutely no problems. I have had Toyotas exclusively in the past, and have loved them. I figured I would give this 9 year old a shot since it was priced at only $3500.00 and I needed something different. I could not be more pleased. It rides like a dream and I get surprisingly 25+ mpg on regular gas. Only problem was when I took it to the NJ state inspection. They said I had an "exhaust leak". I must have been the designated "quota failure" that day, because I drove it back to the same station in the afternoon and passed with flying colors. 2 words... GREAT CAR!!

Audio system is fantastic (display is gone, but once you pre-set, who cares anyway. Quiet ride, nice handling, comfortable seats, lots of trunk room. Heat is great in the winter and A/C is ice cold in the summer

Great car with amazing reliability!
By seattlegirl

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a little over a year now and am still loving it. The car had 68k miles on it when I bought it and now has 80k and runs as if it was new. The only maintenance it has needed was a new tail light bulb (the car told me it was out or else I never would have known). It's so comfy both to drive and ride in and fun to drive. I wouldn't call it sporty, but I love the comfy ride the responsive steering. considering it is a luxury car, the es300 gets great mileage. It doesn't take premium and I can get up to 26 mpg driving lots of highway. Very quiet, lots of handy features. There's even an extra outlet plugin for an iPod in the console. The styling is classic, people love it!

Auto driver and passengers seat adjuster, leather, wood accents, steering, center console is so handy!

Cup holders! I had a mocha fly out of one while making a sharp turn. Floormats still have mocha stains on them! Telescopic steering wheel would be a nice touch. Also I wish the keyless entry clicker was integrated with the key like on newer models.