Used 1997 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

Beautiful & Clever - The RANGE ROVER
By kensingtonhse

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

The 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Kensington Edition - Land Rover is unsurpassed for their unbeatable crafting of excellent veicles. The 97 Range Rover is no exception. I have owned this veicle for a year now (my first car), and its fantastic! The only thing I had to fix was an airbag, and the sunroof. It has a little over 100,000 on it. I maintain my own Rover. For the DIY owner (Or an independent LR shop if you wish)its quite resonable to fix. If you own more than one land rover - buy reasonable diagnosic software, to help you out with electronics - as it does have it quoter! As for fuel ecominy - what do you expect! Fuels not at $5 yet, so big deal! Wow what an excellent veicle.....

Favorite Features

Mine is a Black 4.6 Kensington Special Edition, it has a hand stiched cubby and lower dash, with plenty of extra burl wood, speical sound system, dual driver sub woofers, LR Special viecles plate, etc. Quite luxurious in my book. It also rides quite nicley on the highway. Go get a Range Rover!

Suggested Improvements

None, boy, I would wan't any of those new LR's. The heritage has almost been squeezed out, (especially with that LR3)! IN the Range Rover category, nothing beats this clever car, exept the good old Range Rover Classic! (He he, I put this in to keep the old timer happy) NOT!

great car when it works
By niccoram

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my daily driver to and from home and school through city streets and the occasional bad traffic. Out of town trips are pleasant for as long as you check the hoses and water level so that overheating wont be a problem. changed suspension to Bilstein heavy duty shocks after the air stanchions gave way. Overhaul the engine every 35k Mi.. it makes a big difference. front windows come off alignment after a while which cause them to fall into the doors. I've already changed the climate control to Sanden AC. Carpeting has also given way and needs to be reupholstered after 30k Mi. Change oil once a year (Mobil 1 synthetic for warm climates)

Favorite Features

fit and how everything falls into place.. offroad ability through rough hard pack loose and loamy terrain

Suggested Improvements

all mechanical parts work just fine.. lessen the tech and it should out live us all..

Hey it's a Range Rover
By range driver 007

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Beside the electrical problems, and other odds & ends, the truck is fun to drive. The key is have a good mechanic, the one I use has a graveyard of dead land rovers to pick parts from. Also I was recently in an accident (rear ended) and all I can say is you should see the other guy.

Favorite Features

Stands tall, great windows

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the heating and cooling system

"P" OFF
By da_truth

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I have grown to be very disappointed in this vehicle,because its has been a constant struggle to keep the engine light off, air condition continues to not work properly and last but not least I had to have regular shocks installed due the air suspension going out aleast 3 times within the first year of having it. I guess I would say that Land Rover needs to invest more money into their mechanics training, because their truly not get it done correctly. I think I will never invest so much time and money in Range Rover ever again. This was my first and problably the last that I will ever own.

Suggested Improvements

Air suspension

Range Rover great visibility and comfort
By kpacific

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I commute in the vehicle on the freeway, and love the height and visibility that I have. The Rover manuvers well on the open road, but pick up can be a problem. Sluggish going up hills. Does well on dirt mountain roads in rain and snow. The AWD is a plus. The cost of driving the car, from gas to repairs to replacement parts is very high. In my 30+ years of driving, I've never had to have my car towed in for repair until my Rover...it's been towed twice. With this vehicle, you must find a reliable, knowledgeable repair facility. This is difficult, even in an urban setting.

Favorite Features

Interior quality and the interior roominess is excellent. Can haul furniture, lumber or dogs easily. Seat is very comfortable. After an 8 - 10 hour drive, I get out of the car with no aches and pains. Visibility is very good.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension system with the air bags was a big mistake. I've spent plenty repairing and replacing parts of this system more than once. I've also had trouble with the air conditioning system x 2.