2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Disappointed
By shan24 on 09/07/14 08:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 Hemi in Jan 2011. Started having problems after about 3 months with the gas tank sensor. Took the dealer 10 times to figure out it was the electrical sensor. At 25,000 miles I had no tread on my tires (I do mostly in town and highway driving, absolutely no off road) and had to replace all 4 tires. Now at 27,200 miles, my SUV is in the garage and won't start. It's completely frozen and every single warning light comes on. I'm waiting to have it towed to the dealer to be analyzed and fixed. It's very frustrating to have a relatively new vehicle and to have multiple problems before there's even 30,000 miles on it. Not sure I will buy jeep

[non-permissible content removed]
By johnoyed on 08/07/13 14:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

5 time jeep owner, Lease 2011 jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Warning lights start blinking , Hard time starting, rear cam doesn't work. They say its the mother board. Under warranty- Great!!. BUTTTTTTT it will take 2 weeks to get it and they will not give me a free rental. I'm paying lease, insurance, garage on a car that is out of commission for 2 weeks because of warrantied parts and they want me to pay for rental car. So i guess a warranty doesn't mean anything. Last time having a jeep.

Great SUV
By firsttimejeep on 05/06/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my GC for two years and 26K and absolutely love it. Have had no issues with it. I have a lot of vehicles in 45 years but this is my favorite. Can't wait to buy the new model in 2017 or so. I've had 2 BMW X5s and like the GC much better.

KEY NOT DETECTED MESSAGE/KEY LOCK IN CAR DETECTION DONT ALWAYS WORK
By kkfoster54 on 03/05/13 13:03 PM (PST)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been having problems with the key not detected message which is happening quite often, I thought it may be the key battery. I switched keys (spare) and its doing the same thing. I was thinking it was the key battery at first, but when I switched keys after a while it started doing the same thing so I dont think its the battery. I have to try anything and everything to get my car to crank. The problem seems to be getting worse, I hope I dont get stranded. Also I have accidently locked myself out the car a few times and the car lock key feature works when it wants to, the key was in the console or my purse in the passenger seat less than 2 ft and it still locks.

Terrible Seats!
By terps02 on 02/22/13 10:07 AM (PST)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving the Jeep Grand Cherokee for 8 months, my right leg started to go numb. I closely analyzed the situation and determined that the front seat doesn't line up properly with the pedals and the steering wheel. The brake pedal is too far to the left and it forces you to cross your right leg too far to the left when braking. Further, your body is always at about a 10 degree angle to the left from center because everything doesn't line up properly. I now have to sit on pillows to force my body to the left to feel centered in the seat. I will have to sell the car as a result of this.

Not all it's hyped up to be...JGC 2012 5.7L Overland 4x4
By jreworld on 01/20/13 09:31 AM (PST)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my JGC over 2.5 years, and although I enjoy the vehicle most of the time, I cannot recommend it due to it's numerous issues. The front sway bar bushings wore out last month. How is this possible on a relatively new vehicle? This weekend my check engine light came on again and the MDS is not working. I had this happen two years ago, and the end result was a bad cylinder valve that left me without a car for several weeks. If it's the same issue again, I'm done. Going foreign again. I've had more issues with this car than my last 10 vehicles combined. I wanted so much for Jeep to succeed, but even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Buyer beware.

Very good vehicle
By fastdude on 10/21/12 05:34 AM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I'm very happy with the car itself. However I wish I bought the V8 instead of the V6. The engine feels underpowered since the engine has to work very hard to get the 2200 kg weight moving in city driving. Cruising on the highway the engine works better, so long you don't climb any hills. The 5 speed auto trans mission is geared to high. Need at least 6 gears to make driving more fun. Gas consumption was good at first but now after 12000 miles/19000 km my consumption is 20 City and 23highway.

Do not go by its looks
By smathew31 on 10/17/12 00:40 AM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Guys please be careful with going only on external appearances and marketing techniques (I am not implying the first reviews made by auto magazines as they get only a “first impression” point of view). I am based in Dubai and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) 2011 in July 2011 and was very impressed by it. I even went around promoting the product to my friends and family so much that even my brother in Australia bought a new one. Moreover I was even planning for a Dodge charger as my next car. My best buddy too has almost booked a new Jeep GC 2012. Unfortunately it has lived to its reputation of very poor reliability. I have been experiencing software and GPS issues from day one. The pad of the parking break came off in 5 months’ time and dealer said it was not covered under the warranty clause and I had to pay for it. Luckily for me the service consultant gave me such a shoddy service that the charge for the same was written off as a measure to compensate for the inconvenience caused to me. (I do not want to give details of the same as it was addressed by the service manager) I took the vehicle on an Oman trip (no off-roading and I have never used it for off-roading) around 6 months after buying the car and it wouldn’t start after doing an uphill (again on good tarred road.)I had taken it to the dealer and they said everything is ok. Now the vehicle has developed some engine issues as the Engine fault light (also called as MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)) comes on. I cannot understand how a new vehicle can have so many issues? I have been perfect with its service and have allowed only the authorised dealer to even touch it. The dealer technicians cannot seem to find what the issue is with and had reset the computers so that the MIL light goes off. Yesterday the light came back on. Worst of all is I am left without a vehicle for all these days and they refuse to give a spare vehicle. I had also called Chrysler Middle East who promised to get back on the issue but with no luck (they did not even call back). The car spent 3 days at the work shop and I guess it is only fair that I am given a replacement car. The warranty conditions in the US covers this factor wherein the dealer should arrange a replacement car (if the car develops issues during the warranty period and KM limit). This clause unfortunately has been conveniently removed for the Middle East. I even searched the net on the same and came across lots of negative feedback on Jeep GC (the new model) at American forums where they are more transparent. I really wish reliability issues were brought up so that other buyers are not caught off-guard after shelling out so much money for a product that only looks good. I honestly regret for not having gone for a Pajero or a Japanese car. This is the first time I ventured for an American vehicle and I consider it the biggest follies of my life (by the way I used to own a Mitsubishi Pajero which I sold to buy the Jeep). So much of American tax payers ‘money has gone to revive the Chrysler Group and I think the people of America deserve more dedication from this group to upkeep the reputation and trust of the consumers towards American products (especially cars), in the international market. Another warning; please do not go by what the sales persons at the Trading Enterprises say as they are extremely economical in the “truthfulness” area. To all aspiring Jeep owners, my suggestion is to do a research on the net before buying this vehicle.

Unexpectedly Poor Reliability
By va944s on 10/16/12 13:23 PM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely disappointed in having four warranty issues within one year. I have had to have the following items replaced: torn weatherstripping, radiator, and media center. They have been unable to diagnose an issue with the keyless entry fob not working intermittantly. I contacted the dealer about all of the problems I've experienced and they gave me a Chrysler Customer Service number to contact. The service representative was unable to offer any assistance whatsoever, just wrote down what I've experienced and told me to call back if I had any more issues!

I never thought I'd buy American but....
By jessica40 on 08/30/12 17:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I am pleased with my purchase. I was considering the Lexus RX when I saw the new redesigned JGC Laredo passing by in traffic. It grabbed my attention. I went home and did my research.. one week later I had purchased one. It has that luxury feel to it and very comfortable (leather interior). On the flip side.. I just had to take it into Jeep bcus the engine light came on..it has been there now for 3 days.. they were nice enough to give me a loaner (2012 Durango). I also own an Infiniti G37 but prefer my Jeep! The dealer mentioned something about and O2 sensor, all covered under warranty. I miss my truck but want to put pressure on them as I dont want it rushed and want it fixed properly!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee in VA is:

$112 per month*