Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Expected more...
By rlb4227

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

Was reliable until about 100K. Was constantly in the shop. At about 118K was in the shop monthly. Finally overheated on the side of the interstate and was pronounced dead. I was expecting much more from a Jeep. Previously owned a 93 Cherokee and made it just past 200K before it died.

98 jeep xj
By desprado227

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

228500 mi and still as strong as the day it was born JEEPS RULE THE EARTH all others try to follow

everything

rock gard on the bottems and on the sides

Best auto I have ever owned!
By old_marine

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

We leased this car in 1997, drove it till the lease was up then purchased it in 2001. Without a doubt the most reliable car I ever owned. It now has 387,000 miles and running strong. The only things I have had to do to it was the AC compressor which died around 360K, and the muffler/plumbing. Crankcase sensor, had to replace it 3 times, but not for 3 years now. An idiot (last cc sensor failure) convinced me I needed a valve job, so OK, 270K, go ahead. He called me to come look at something. I went, he showed me the clyinders, and you could still see the original cross hatching, and no ridges! AMAZING, that 4.0! PLESE bring it back with the 4.0 and I'll buy till I die!

Dependability. Handling. Classic Looks.

BRING IT BACK PLEASE! BEST JEEP EVER!!!!
By aquaman

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

I recently have bought my 4x4 Jeep Cherokee classic with 110,000 miles and it is the best thing I have ever bought in my entire life I love it! No doubt if they came out with one I would buy it in a heart beat! :) runs great have had no problems with it. Completely reliable with the inline 6 engine! I cant decide if I want to put bigger wheels on it or not because I love the body style so much as it is! Jeep needs to bring it back! Worst move ever by discontinuing it!

none! the whole car is my favorite

sunroof

Just What I Need
By Bradley Mullins

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

This is my first vehicle, and a great one at that. I drive a lot, and I usually get about 22 MPG with it. I can use it for hauling my friends or my "stuff" around. It was built tough; I rolled it last July, but had it repaired and it looks and drives like new again. A couple of things have been replaced, such as the tires, spark plugs, clock spring, and brakes. I bought it at 83,000 miles, and at 142,000 it's still going strong. Great vehicle!

Exterior styling, cruise control, lighted vanity mirrors, power side mirrors.

Easier to open air filter compartment, better gauge reliability, power seat availability.

• SUV