Tried them all; the Santa Fe Sport hits the sweet spot
By dallasterrain on
2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I'm a 59 year old short, fat guy in Dallas, TX. I was looking for a comfortable but somewhat sporty smaller SUV. The Santa Fe Sport hits the sweet spot. I drove the CRV, RAV-4 and the CX-5 and I owned the GMC Terrain. As they say, when I sat in the Sport I found it just right. I got the turbo with leather. None of the others were as comfortable as the Sport which I know is a very individual thing. Also, for me, the Sport has just the right amount of room without being too small. It's really quite roomy and the seats are wide enough to accommodate an, ahem, "executive" body style. The turbo is very quick but gets mediocre gas mileage; about 20 mpg in mixed city driving.
Favorite Features
Sharp looking Very comfortable Turbo is quick and a hoot to drive Very good but not great standard stereo Easy to maneuver As much or more storage room than its competitors Great interior dash layout with 3 power points. Power points laid out where they make sense. Lots of cubbies and storage places that fit your stuff and make sense. All the knobs etc easy to use and easy to find Great bluetooth connectivity. Automatically synchs to my phone as soon as I get in. I carry 2 cell phones and it is also easy to switch over to the second one. Blue link is pretty cool. You can get a free app to remotely start and/or lock/unlock your car. You can also get turn by turn navigation.
Suggested Improvements
Offer the 6 cylinder in the Sport. Probably would get the same gas mileage as the turbo with about the same power but a smoother power delivery. Un-bundle some of the more desirable features so you don't have to spend a fortune to get what you want. Gas mileage is just so so. I've got a little over 2,000 miles on mine and get around 20 mpg in mostly mixed city driving with ECO mode on. Have taken one almost all highway trip and got 24 mpg. My Jeep Grand Cherokee rental with its big V-6 got the same or better and it is a bigger, heavier vehicle. Overall, the Sport is one sharp, comfortable, fast and fun to drive vehicle. I love it so far and highly recommend it!