2001 Honda Prelude Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

2001 Prelude Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Sort Reviews by

Japanese Interpretation of Italian Sports Car
By silver02m5

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for something that follows the "typical Honda" model, then you should look elsewhere. Pretty much everything about this car, from the low roofline, to the seating position, to the engine character screams Italian. All Hondas need to be revved up to make power, but this one is even more extreme. Even the design of the valvetrain, with the valves set into "buckets" in the head is identical to that of an Alfa Romeo. The seats are comfortable and supportive , but be prepared to extend your arms while your legs straddle the wheel if you are over 6 foot. The build quality is excellent, but the low production numbers show in only average reliability (not Honda-typical).

Favorite Features

Great fit and finish, screams at high RPMs, classic Honda interior and instrumentation, great seats, looks great, more reliable than Euro competitors

Suggested Improvements

Only average reliability, 20 MPG on premium-only fuel, actual power feels far below advertised, feels like you are steering from the back seat (like a BMW Z3), tiny back seat

Fun car!
By tedrox

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car with the auto/man transmission. The car was great I had it lowered on springs. The car was really fun and sounded great with a small 12in sub. It was definitely one of the best cars I've owned. The only complaint was the transmission. They don't last very long.

Favorite Features

Interior seating, the outside body

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission

Should have been a 2 seater
By pablogyds03

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my 1986 Prelude, I was fresh out of college and landed a good paying job so an upgrade was in tail. Initially I was in the market for an Acura Integra GSR which are hard to find Clean title and Stock (Which is what I wanted). While out Kicking tires at some dealerships I found a 01 Black Prelude 5spd. I took it for a test drive and was sold before I even hit 3 blocks, took it back and bought it with 113k. Purchaced the car in 2007 ended up totaling it in 2011 but it was super reliable only oil changes, tires and tune ups. it had 236k when I parted from it. I miss this car and it was a blast to drive on my 60mile commute especially passing people. Gotta love VTEC!

Favorite Features

VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC! Shifter was awesome, midrange torque Looks Honda reliability

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat Bring back the prelude, Honda used to be synonymous with racing but their line up is really depressing there hasnt been a really good sports car -accord v6 6-pd in their line up since the s2000.

this is my second Prelude!
By jg323

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In my teens i bought a 4thGen Si Prelude for practically nothing with over 100K on it and i drove it to 230K until it was totaled while parked w/ the only problem being that it burned oil (not leaked.) Then i purchased an '01 Base model and at 1st was disappointed because i couldn't find an SH, though shortly after i realized that seats and the ATTS, wheels and a spoiler were not really worth it the extra bucks and found my car at Buena Park Honda with only 40K on it. That was five years ago and i still haven't reached the 100K mark but i'm close. The 5thGen changes gears not nearly as smooth as the 4th. and sadly this Prelude burns oil also between changes.

Favorite Features

It is super quick and takes corners with ease. Probably would've been much more popular if it'd been RWD but at the end of the day it is simply a sports car, not a race car which it is constantly confused with. No other car on the road has the looks of the Prelude. it's comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

my 5thGen Prelude burns oil. All my friends Preludes burn oil also, some at ridiculous amounts between oil changes (something to ask if you plan on buying one). If you are a coffee drinker and this is your daily car it will by far be the first thing you notice while on the way to work, changing gears, with the coffee in the cup holder. I do a lot of multitasking with steering, and holding my coffee in my hand. MPG could be alot worse but also better for such a lightweight vehicle, then again it's 2.2 liters and a Civic is roughly ?1.6? give or take. MPG all depends on how you drive it and more importantly (as with any car) how you brake.

prelude power
By CRIS

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

Favorite Features

handling, take off and stopping..

Suggested Improvements

winter tires, good ones, michelin or bridgestone and its like a TANK in the snow..

Great Car!
By CA Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and value, a blast to drive! Original stock tires weren't great. Stock stereo is good and puts out decent volume, but the bass is more "mid bass," not low bass. Just over 100K miles and no problems. By some miracle, no tickets, either! Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a fuel cutoff at 7,800 rpm. Would be nice to have a rev limiter, instead. Like other comments, a 6th cruising gear, RWD, 200 lbs. lighter, and 40 more hp would also be on my wish list. My car should last another 10 years at least...maybe by then, a new Prelude will be in showrooms.

Favorite Features

Engine, engine sound, 5sp manual tranny and clutch are nice and smooth, sporty handling (for a FWD car).

Suggested Improvements

No V6, though, please. It would just make it more nose heavy. We also have a 2004 V6 Accord Sedan (5sp auto)...the V6 is nice and smooth, though (240hp, 210 lb. ft. torque), but it's a bigger car, weighs more, and is only maybe a tenth or two faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile...

My blue Honda Prelude
By kevinfly777

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parents bought me this to go to UCSD. Great car, fantastic handling (through the corners). Although I was disappointed about the interior, but it's not too bad for a Japanese sports car. Very reliable, passed smog and everything... a very fast car and sometimes with the blue color it attracts a lot of attention. I love this car.

Favorite Features

200bhp, great handling, easy to maintain engine and parts

Suggested Improvements

I would love it even more if Honda could make the body lighter (3000lbs) and make the engine even more responsive, I've always wanted the rpm indicator to change fast.

Revin Hard
By matt

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Prelude from PA and I love it. The V-Tec Mode kicks in hard and the car's sleek body makes it look pretty damn good. It handles like a true racing Machine. I only wish it had more stock HP. I added 200 HP of my own when I rebuilt the engine. For anyone planning on T-Charging the Prelude engine beware of the H22A4 RING LANDS!!! THEY WILL NOT LAST! I recommend this car to new drivers, it's cheap, reliable, safe, and a real blast to drive.

Favorite Features

My Favorite feature is that it looks better than the S2000 and the GSR. Honda did a hell of a job creating a look of a real sports car. I'm loving the FWD too, makes the handling real good in wet weather.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements that Honda could have made was to add a LSD or limited slip differential to the USDM preludes. It's a pain to add my own, and cost me 500 $$. Wasn't an easy install either. I would have liked to see a more powerful engine but they canceled the line.

Love it!
By czsohc517

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have always loved the Prelude and its design. My mom had a third gen and I liked it, so I decided to keep it in the family. This is my first car and it has greatly exceeded my expectations. I have big plans for the car and have already done much to it. Soon the engine will have a revamp with cams, p&p, type- s pistons, etc. I have already upgraded the suspension (a little lower and stiffer) and boy, I thought it handled like a dream before, now it is no problem to take turns quickly and worry-free. And, although the interior was all black, it gives it a clean look and you can always give it a twist with the Prelude Type-S Seats (leather/suede with red stitch) and OEM Honda aftermarket part

Favorite Features

VTEC, NOT VTEC"H", that's a phone brand! Handling, Style, Excellent Braking Power: 110 ft from 60 mph with drilled rotors and HAWK pads.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the car back. Believe it or not Honda, many people really like the car; it still turns heads seven years later! Offer a wider array of models. Better weight distribution, although 60/40 isn't bad for a FF car. Fix the wheel well rust problems. Design some better rims!

Prelude=Spectacular
By J23erbs

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. It does exactly what I need it to do and then some. The performance is truly a reflection of Honda's brilliance and the engine is one of the best honda has ever put into production.The h22 is just remarkable. It revs so freely (not like a wankel engine though)and it displays remarkable durability.The car is also built with exceptionally well build quality. The Prelude, like all Hondas, can withstand lots of abuse and still run like a charm. I would highly reccomend it to anyone, unless you want to use it as a family car because the back seats are lacking space, but if your like me you didnt buy the car for back seat room.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, looks, build quality, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

None (well maybe a little lighter)