2004 Honda Pilot 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic w/Leather Consumer Review - Love the pilot, strange noise

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic w/Leather)

Love the pilot, strange noise from under
By Westover57 on

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with the pilot, have owned it for 6 months, we have had a strange noise coming from under the vehicle almost sounds like the cooling fans just take off at a very high speed and stop. And the suspension has a issue with hopping sometimes. Have brought back to the dealership 3 times and the truck won't make the noise nor will it act up at all. Thinking about asking for them to take the truck back if they can not find the problem. We really like this vehicle, its a good solid SUV.

Favorite Features

The room in the interior and the comfort, its a heavy SUV so you get a nice ride and we pull a pop up camper and there is no problems.

Suggested Improvements

none from me,just hope they can find the problems that we are experiencing.
By bp1961
on 03/07/11 12:41 PM (PST)

I have an 04 Pilot with 125K miles on it that does the exact same thing. Sounds like the cooling fans revving for a few seconds, but then it quits, and it does it intermittently, so when you take your mechanic for a ride to hear what is wrong, it never does it.

By corboulee
on 12/25/14 14:28 PM (PST)

I also have a 2004 Pilot with the same noise that occurs intermittently at about the 40 mph range. I believe that the noise is generated by the under body plastic shield sections that are attached to the frame with plastic 'rivet' connectors. I noticed that some of the connectors were missing (probably not replaced by mechanics, because they usually break when removed for servicing and are not commonly stocked by auto parts stores). So I went to Honda and they didn't have the connectors stocked either. Then I turned to eBay and found that there are multiple choices available (diameter, length, collar size, etc ... ridiculous!). I ordered a couple of sizes and fortunately, I got some right. I installed the connectors in the missing holes and my vibrations have stopped. Give your under carriage an inspection. I hope this helps, and if it does it couldn't be a simpler, more inexpensive solution, made unnecessarily complicated by non-standardization.