2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Mixed feelings
By horstradamus on 07/21/12 09:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 2007. Steering wheel controls have started randomly switching themselves, radio went a few months ago, three separate parts of the AC system have also gone, rear wiper stopped working, passenger sliding door auto lock stopped working. Other than that, there have been no problems with the transmission or engine.

Time to sell or trade
By exhondaowner on 01/27/11 19:31 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sold at 80K miles. I expected to keep the car for at least 10 years. Rear power windows went in 2008. The transmission has slipped for 10k miles and I do not trust it. Much worse recently. Power door locks are failing and the radio controls on the steering wheel and radio were not failing. I have had 3 other Hondas. 1986 Accord went 186K. 2000 Accord replaced transmission at 80K in November. The 2005 Accord is still going strong with 35K miles. I did not realize how noisy they were until I purchased the 2011 Highlander.

Mixed Ride
By Shariq on 02/19/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car 6 years ago and its doing pretty well. The only problem we had was that the audio controls on the steering wheel stopped working. Overall a nice minivan with bunch of options.

Luv My Odyssey
By luvbigdogs on 02/18/10 00:48 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle for reliability, safety, & comfort I've ever owned. Unfortunately yesterday my husband was hit in the front end, which totaled out the car [when a wheel, not just a tire, is ripped off plus the front end is hit so hard it pushes it back 6", that car is a goner]. I plan to get another Odyssey because it's such a great vehicle, even if I do hate the shift position of the gear knob.

A Mixed Bag
By AGS on 01/05/10 10:13 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Odyssey while stationed overseas and brought it home with high hopes and initial satisfaction. While cavernous, easy to drive, powerful and full of many great features such as power doors and dual air, reliability is becoming a concern as it reaches 80K miles. Paint has peeled twice and dealers have not been receptive to repairing the damage in our area. Left sliding door continuously needs grease to quiet the chatter. Oil changes are a bear. A/C filter changes, too. CD player died. Clock's light went dark. CD and clock are very expensive to replace. Overall, a disappointment; can't recommend it any longer and won't be buying another Honda :( This is a "Monday" car, for sure.

Repairs
By fireman2 on 07/25/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2004 was great. The design of the power drivers seat controls is horrible. Every time you get out of the van your left leg pulls on the side seat console, as for now I have no control of the drivers seat. The trans blew at 80,000 cost me over 3,000. Only really good thing -- The paint was peeling off BAD, the dealer had NO ANSWER!!! Called Honda USA In Calif, gave the VIN #, right away the rep stated that my van was manu. in Alabama and the paint jobs were lousy!!! He gave me numbers and letters and told me to call any Honda dealership. REPAINTED -- THE WHOLE VAN -- FREE!!!! Also like other owners--Had to replace motor mounts at 65,000 miles.

Odyssey Excellency
By SportGears on 07/24/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 and it's still going strong at 160k miles. No problem whatsoever. We love this car... highly recommended.

Honda Disappoints
By Elisa N. on 06/21/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several models of Honda in my life. I have always equated Honda with quality. Not so any more. My Honda Minivan has been a huge LEMON. The transmission failed me at 60,000 miles and I was almost killed when it happened. I have spent a fortune on this Honda minivan and I wish I had bought a LEXUS or an INFINITI instead. I love the automatic doors but that's about it. Unfortunately HONDA has severely disappointed me with their transmission issues. I am no longer a lover of HONDA. I need to find a new reliable brand of car. SHAME!!!

2004 Honda Odyssey transmission-beware
By 71chall340 on 03/26/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle is one of the best driving vans I have owned. The van has been reliable (other than rear vent window motors) for 85,000 mi. until my transmission had to be replaced. I previously serviced my transmission at the dealer ship with fluid changes. I was lucky to have purchased an extended 5 yr/100,000mi warranty. The early 2004 model year had a recall for this same problem in which my car didn't fall under. I feel Honda should compensate those out of warranty because this problem goes beyond the recall time period.

Transmissions
By Phil on 03/20/09 06:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You MUST follow the scheduled maintenance of the transmission... which means drain and fill EVERY 40,000 miles. People let it go, then wonder why the tranny fails?