What a horrible mistake.
By orangesmoke on
2011 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
I was taken in by the reviews. I test drove it and fell in love. I thought it was the best car out there for me. Then I bought it. The a/c doesn't work, blows hot air. Honda assures me this is normal. After a 6 hour drive I'm sweating and my a/c is putting out 70 degree air. The headlights flicker at night. Honda says this is because the a/c is on and I should shut it off. Sure enough, if I turn the a/c off the lights stop flickering and the temperature of the car goes up to 80. I have a manual. I try to put it in reverse and have to double clutch it. Honda says that all manual transmissions do this. I replaced a 1990 Toyota Camry with this Fit that says otherwise.
Favorite Features
I'm 5'1". There is NO position in which the headrest does not force my head down. The head rest is tilted so far forward that I have to lean the seat way back so the head rest doesn't push my head and I can see over the dash. My back hates me for buying this car. My eyes hate me for buying this car. I hate this car. I regret this purchase so much... I was happier with my 21 year old car, problems and all. At least the headlights and the a/c worked and I could drive it. I now have 5000 miles on this car after 1 month of ownership. I want to sell it and get out from under it as soon as possible. Before more Honda tricks rise up to bite me you know where.
Suggested Improvements
If you never drive at night, are at least 5'10" tall, don't back out of parking spaces regularly, and don't use the a/c, then this is a great little car. Otherwise- stay away.
By bobg57
on 08/10/11 16:27 PM (PDT)

I think your dealer isn't doing you any favors. The AC should work as advertised and blow cold air as my Fit does. I have none of these problems and I drive in the hot desert. Sure, you cannot get it ice cold like the inside of a Cadillac but that's the compromise of having a small fuel efficient engine. Although mine is an automatic I don't see how that makes a difference in AC performance. Take it up the ladder, it's unacceptable and not normal.

By jul7
on 07/14/11 10:56 AM (PDT)

Hey, there, I agreed most of it with you. I can't understand why the CR, Edmunds and car and driver etc... all review it as a great subcompact and fun to drive. I just can't agree with them now, they mislead us. I can say it's a great little city car. but not really cheap, not really fun, not really fuel consumption. and not even reliable anymore, 3 month past, I got light burnt. A/C sucks, but it's 1.5L engine, with large windshield, so you should expect hot inside, a green house liek the C&D editor comments. I admitted in my review, Fit cannot be compared with the then-CRX and we should agree. but there is little element of Honda spirit here in Fit, except styling. The Fit needs a lot more improvement in order to catch up with it own legacy. I hope the media review do a deeper investigation before recommending it to the consumers.

By dillpickle1
on 09/07/11 09:21 AM (PDT)

I agree totally....we were duped into the great reviews and I feel taken advantage of now. THE worst car I have ever owned and 4 safety recalls to date. Honda sales are now tanking and their cars are not like older models that would last 200,000 miles. I own a 2002 Accord and it was one of the best Hondas made. There are MUCH better options out there now...Honda watch out!