2011 Honda CR-Z EX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Cr-z - Consumer Reviews

2011 CR-Z Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

Sort Reviews by

I am soooooo sorry I bought this car.
By ihatethiscar

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I hate this car. I bought it on an impulse and am sorry I did. I actually waited almost 5 days to go pick it up from the dealership after I had purchased it. I am sure that it is a good car (after all, it IS a Honda), but I swear it is among the ugliest cars on the road - especially the back end. I do not like the car because of it's impracticality. Too small, very uncomfortable, slower than I would have expected, noisy interior on the open road. There is also no place to rest your arms. Cup holders cannot accomodate anything too large - definitely a hazard when you are trying to get stuff in and out. My car is for sale and has been since about 3 months after my purchase. Hate it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders Radio is complicated Horsepower Does not get the claimed 37 mpg unless you stay in the "Econo" mode - you may as well ride a bicycle if you have to drive this thing in "Econo".

Fun Fun Fun
By josef3

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Don't miss out just because of the expensive tag.. There's some joy to be had in a single CR-Z experience, no matter the drivers age or style (racer, casual)! Oh, and I'm 6'3 Economics is a no-brainer. If you are a family man, this may not fit for you. (buy a Honda Fit)

Favorite Features

Pure style. look around and see how many others are driving "your" car

Suggested Improvements

None. If I were greedy I'd beg for the Si trim. But this gift from Honda was solely made for the economist. Stay true

Will not crank
By kpair

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I am wondering if we just bought a lemon? I have looked at all the other reviews and must say I wish we had that experience. The only problem is our CRZ often leaves us stranded. It just will not crank every time, we have had it less than a month and been stranded somewhere at least 12 times. The dealer has replace a battery and clutch mechanism and today it is being towed back to see why it still will not crank...If it ran properly we would love the car but as of now it just isn't reliable which takes all of the fun out of it...

Favorite Features

The style and sportyness of the car is awesome. Handles great and who oesn't just love the fuel economy?

Suggested Improvements

More reliability.

Test Drive
By jrd325

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Drove both the manual and automatic and found the manual more fund to drive. Particularly the close shifting ratio of the gears and the smooth shifting. The critics reviews on Edmunds are accurate. I am buying an automatic 2009 Nissan Maximum V-6 SE Coupe, which has 270 hp and I am averaging 22 MPGs. Wanted to test drive the CR-Z, not available in 2009 due to its MPGs and MSRP and the high trade-in vale of the Nissan. Decided the CR-Z is not worth purchasing due to what I would give up with the Nissan for only 12 more MPGs and the MSRP of the CR-Z, which is not being discounted that much, even if gas went to five dollars a gallon. Also due to the crash ratings. Would prefer to wait.

Favorite Features

Shifting, handling, roominess of driver and passenger area, climate control, outside temperature reading, heated outside mirrors, and all noted safety devices in and outside.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design to reach five star crash test in all areas. Improve design to improve review.

CRX - REBORN
By Stealthwalker

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

As a previous owner of a CRX-DX (7-years) this CRZ is a welcome pleasure. I traded in my 2001 A4 1.8TQ for this little piece of heaven. It is nice getting back to a smooth clutch. The Audi was a little long on both travel and throw. The exterior styling is a mix of Porsche 928 rear end & heavily modified S2000 front. The interior high end with soft touch controls like the Audi. The well placed control close to the driver. The 6 weeks has been unbelievable in the gas mileage. I am just about to fill up for the third time with: 41.7, 43.5 and 43.4 for miles/gal. avg. Not bad for a 80 City / 20 Highway driving. There seems to be no difference in Normal / Econ mode on mileage, just on stop idle.

Favorite Features

The stop/idle function great coasting to a light under 19 mph with the engine off. No problems with blind stops, you need to set the outside mirror correctly. Smooth 6-sp. manual, interior design & layout. The battery boost is quick to the call when needed. The sport mode is nice on the on ramps.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats would be nice - std. or option. Auto dimming of both inside & outside would help.

Awesome car, couldn't be happier!
By Brendon

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I had been looking for a new car for the past two years, including the Speed3, Civic SI, Scion TC, WRX etc. I came across the CR-Z, test drove it and was immediately impressed. That same day my car search ended and I ordered a manual. I Added on every accessory available (the armrest is highly recommended), and 3 weeks later I had the exact car I wanted. At first I thought I would be slightly disappointed with the average performance (8.3 0-60) and average fuel economy for a hybrid, but from the minute I got into the car I have not stopped smiling and making excuses to get back on the road! And as for performance, its around 8s to 60 (feels zippier though!) and I get 34/43 mpg (above rated)

Favorite Features

Quality interior and exterior, value for money, zippy and sporty handling, option for supercharger :), climate control, audio system, decent cargo space, really comfortable seats (driven 12 straight hours without a problem), 6 speed manual transmission is fantastic

Suggested Improvements

Improve visibility for blind spots and out the rear window, sunroof, a few more ponies (possibly improve the battery to generate about 50-90 hp so you don't hurt the MPG rating), sun visor covers part of the rear-view mirror when down

Needs a Lot More to Make it Worth Buying
By jkisdrivin

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Let me start by saying this: I've owned several hybrids before including the original 60 mpg Honda Insight. Currently my other is a 2010 Toyota Prius II. I am not sure if the CR-Z is any better of a car than my old Insight. You figure with the advancements in Hybrid technology in the last 10 years that this car would get something better than just 31mpg with the manual tranny. I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with this car as I expected a lot more in a car for this money. In hindsight I should have probably bought a Honda Fit instead, save $4K in the process, and get much more of a useful car. Needless to say, I'll be driving the Prius more these days over the CR-Z.

Favorite Features

I get a bunch of looks from young people everywhere I go. The feel of the clutch and shifter is second to none (Honda makes great 6-sp sticks, just ask any S2000 owner). The interior is a little busy but at least the materials are good quality. I am able to really fit surfboard in the car.

Suggested Improvements

The moonroof option that is available in Europe would have been nice. Also I am thinking about getting the LED highlight assemblies that is on the Euro-spec CR-Z as well (think of it as the DRLs you see on newer Audi's). Either put seat belts in the back seat or just take away the fold down trunk.

Spirit of the old CRX intact
By CRXLover

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Picked this car up as soon as it hit the showrooms. I love the styling, it attracts quite a lot of looks from everyone. Really does look like a modern CRX. Mine is the EX with the 6 spd and it was quite hard to find, had to preorder from dealership. It was worth the wait because I absolutely love taking this car out on the road. Its very fun to drive and still gets great gas mileage. I have about 1500 miles and average 38 mpg with the stick and hard driving. The hybrid power train is very torquey but still provides the Honda high rpm VTEC rush in sport mode. If Honda comes out with an Si version with the K20Z3 from the Si I will trade it in but i love the fact that this car is a 2 seater.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, fun to drive, great gas mileage, torquey engine, rarity on the streets, comfy seats

Suggested Improvements

Bring an Si version, make a sunroof and leather heated seats available.

A Thinking Man's Car
By jinglehyme

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

OK - Don't miss the point on this one. The CR-Z is not the fastest, prettiest, or "est" car out there in anyway- But, it is a nice balance of fuel economy and flirtations fun to drive. And it is big on the tech side. The 6 speed manual makes it a lot more drivable that any Toyota. If you want a big, fat, dumb muscle car - buy a Chrysler - um - Fiat. And my 30 something and 40 something friends (all edjamacated and stuff) get it.

Favorite Features

6 Speed Manual

Suggested Improvements

Bring out an Si.