1997 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )
Loved this car, she took a long time to wear out!
By nicoleinwi on 07/26/11 14:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 1997 CR-V in 2002 with 100,000 miles on it at the time. I put on enough to get it up to 262,000 miles as of this month. Just yesterday the car finally broke down to the point where it's not economical to fix (transmission). I've been told that had I changed the transmission fluid regularly this car could have stood a chance to last even longer than it already did. As it is I feel I got way more than my money's worth out of this great vehicle. I had to replace the radiator in 2009, but other than that most repairs I recall doing on this car were relatively minor. I'm sad she finally broke so bad!

Love My CR-V!
By hondacrv7 on 05/17/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought her used and have really only put minimal repairs into her. She only had 1 owner before me. They kept great records. I always take good care of her and keep her tuned up. I have had her for over 6 years and have put over 80 thousand miles on her. She has a totally of over 160,000 miles. She has been a GEM! I started looking for more fuel effecient vehicles lately, but I really don't want to give her up. I would have bought a new CR-V if they had kept a similiar style, but I really do not like the new style. Maybe, I'll just wait till' she finally gives out on me. Her qualities will be hard to match! Great in the snow, durable, long lasting reliability and overall Outstanding quality

HR-V (Harvy)
By wsweeden on 02/15/11 20:56 PM (PST)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Harvy is the name my CR-V was given by his previous owner. She loved this car and recently sold it to me at a price that can only be described as a steal, but only after buying a new CR-V. I have only owned Harvy for about a month, but I bought the 14 year old car with almost 160,000 miles. Soon after, my area got hit with 18"+ of snow. I let my wife drive my 2007 Z71 and took Harvy out for a true test drive.This little suv was unstoppable. I went places i would of been wary of with my Z71. Armed with nothing more than a snow shovel tucked neatly in the luggage rack, I had no problems that I could not dig my way out of. I love this car!!!

Still going strong
By Paul Vdp on 08/02/10 12:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this CRV used in 2001 and have been driving it ever since. Great reliable vehicle. Doesn't get any better. Some what under powered but that is really the only major thing I would want changed. Would like to get something else to drive as after 9 years, I'm getting bored of it .. but it just won't die and it not worth trading, so I'll just drive it till she quits or my 16 year old smashes it. AWD is great in the snow and have had no major problems. Great job Honda, put in a small six cylinder so I can pull a camping trailer and I will buy another one tomorrow.

317 thousand km and still going
By valerio on 03/30/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Great. They should never have changed the style. I talk to other cr-v owners, all have same opinion

A Functionality Work of Art
By Rabii on 01/17/10 15:14 PM (PST)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Pros This vehicle will deliver functionality, reliability and excellent snow adherence on Quebec roads. Drives excellent for a 1997, interior ergonomics are impeccable and layout is very simple. This small SUV is not at all sexy but it will get you from Point A to Point B and you will never have to worry about something breaking down. Glass all around the car makes for a very safe drive and very little blind spots. I noticed that streets and parkways are flooded with CR-Vs, old and new, there is however a very small amount of units for sale on the Internet. Now that I own and drive one, I sure know why. Mine has 224,000 and is still running like a champ. 400 km on a tank around town...

Amazed at the longevity!
By bm on 01/08/10 21:58 PM (PST)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

*bought this when my husband drove a lot for sales. *my car now for several years and I keep insisting I won't trade it. *doesn't have the cushiest seats in town, but I can go to my car every morning and know that it will start! *We've been religious about good maintenance *but I've only changed the battery twice *made one good-sized repair *radiator fan. *air conditioning-the only draw back. The a/c has had some problems- the "flap" that sometimes sticks so that air can't circulate into the vehicle will cost about another 300 in labor because of is location. Overall, an incredibly reliable vehicle.

It Just Keeps Going and Going!
By Ann S. on 08/01/09 16:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my CR-V new and have driven it 284,000+ miles. It still has original suspension, wires, and just about everything else. I've replaced a fan or two, the radiator, done timing belt changes as required, had brakes done as needed and changed the oil regularly, but no major issues ever. I'll definitely keep this car until it simply won't go any more. Even

What Happened to Mine?
By NotSoHappyWithCrv on 04/04/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I know I bought mine used, but I have all the maintenance records and by reading the paperwork it looks like it was properly taken care of. But, it is falling apart. At 130K miles, I've had to replace the battery twice in the last two years. I had to replace the ignition (costing $700) six months ago - I had the local dealer do the work and now pieces of the dash board have fallen off and the steering wheel squeaks when I turn. The left channel on the radio goes out of hot days. The air conditioner will have to be re-charged this season. The PVC joints had to be replaced. All in all, it's a money pit. I get 16-18 MPG in the suburbs and 20MPG on the interstate. And electrical shocks too.

This is quality
By Patrick in KC on 08/14/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

We are now into our 11th year with this gem. We have 158k with only minor maintenance (new radiator, 2nd battery). This car is an absolute joy to drive and is excellent in the snow/rain. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and would recommend a Honda to anyone. I will own it until it dies.

1 2 3 4 5 next »