1998 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Fun, Reliable, and Efficient

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

CX 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun, Reliable, and Efficient
By David on

1998 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful car! I got my civic as a hand-me-down. It was my first car and will be my only car for some time. Fuel economy is superb for such a sporty compact. The hatchback is a great model due to its transportation qualities. The D17Y engine isn't exactly the best in it's class, but Honda did put enough work into making it rev extremely high. Put your foot to the floor on a long stretch of road and the automatic transmission down shifts and launches you forward. The air conditioning isn't the best, however, if it is left on long enough at high power it WILL cool the entire car down. My only complaint is that if you drive the car at the top end, fuel economy suffers quite a bit.

Favorite Features

Steering is excellent, engines LOVES to be revved, LOTS of after market modifications, easy to add modifications, car runs just like new after 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

A few minor cosmetic additions such as sunroof, power windows/door locks. REALLY wish it had a release for the trunk inside the car. (I plan on adding a custom lock for it)