1998 Honda Civic Coupe 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

1998 Civic Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great Car
By joegti10

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

My sister bought it a few years old with very low miles and I picked it up off of her 7 years ago with 100K. Its still going strong at 201K with regular 3k oil changes. This is a northeast car where it battles large blizzards, oppressive heat and salt. Here's what has failed and replaced in the last 100k...it was pretty much flawless for the first 100k. I beat on it a bit, lol. Exhaust system (still has orig manifold), distributor cap, radiator, rear swing arm, front brakes a few times, rear brake line, drivers side power window motor, headliner issues, few sets of tires, relay issue with blinker, rear 02 sensor, clearcoat starting to peel. Otherwise it's a great car...

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip. I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps. To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new. I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great, The seats are comfy I am 5'11/240. I never really sat in the back. But friends haev said its comfy with alot of leg room. Great long distance car. I took this car from Los Angeles to Vancouver Canada that was a 2 week vacation. To vegas like 5 times. To Big bear 3 times to go snowboarding. Been to TJ ( mexico) and to Az. So all in all you cant beat a car this Honda did a swell job and gotten better since then. My way of thinking even back then 1998 was if anything breaks. Get after market parts to replace it and thats what I have done. Honda have done me well and I will continue to support them. Next venture I am looking at ( Honda Fit 2012).

Suggested Improvements

None to think of. On my part at the time in 1998 I wish I got the ex model. But then again my Dx has been truely a nice car to have own has my first car. I will always keep the car. Even when I get a new car honda of course. My girlfriend wants to learn how to drive a stick. So I am gonna teach on the civic. The new 2012 accord coupe WOW the design looks so nice to look at. Honda people stay strong and true. Sad to say American cars dont hold a candle to Honda. Times change so we have to see what they have for the Hondas this days. Test drive all cars that you can afford and make the best choice. ZOOM ZOOM

My Best Friend
By ALEX

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I've bought my civic last year when it had 77K miles. So far I have driven 10K miles and no problems at all. Although the car is not flashy or fast, it is very reliable and can take your from point A to point B with low gas usage. The handling is very nice and this car will look very nice with some sporty rims or a spoiler. I am planning on keeping it until I finish college, and then buying a newer civic! :)

Favorite Features

Reliable and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is dull.

The Best Little Honda ever
By Rachael

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I ran my little red 98 Honda civic dx into the ground. I was hoping it would last me until I graduated college but after almost 9 years it's time had come...a piston broke in the engine which would have been twice as much as the car. She had a long run. She went through 5 break ins, 5 stolen radios, 2 mufflers and exhaust systems, 2 windshield replacements, 2 window cranks, 2 sideview mirrors, a starter, sparkplugs and 4 accidents one being with a 10-point buck at 70 mph. Although she shook when I got her to 80, she rode right along at 120. Although the interior and exterior wasn't anything fancy, she ran long and hard through thick and thin. RIP little Honda...best car ever.

Favorite Features

Engine ran 150,000 miles + through everything and the car parts are completely inexpensive. Fantastic gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality parts.

My Sweet Honda
By courtneyjilll

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This is the only car I have ever owned, and until I can save up to buy a new one with cash, it will be. This car had 72 miles on it when I got it 11 years ago, and has 236,000 today. Other than replacing the exhaust manifold and the blower motor on the air conditioner,it has only required regular maintenance. It gets good gas mileage, around 350 miles a tank. It is super reliable, and I don't think that I will ever love a car as much. If it breaks down tomorrow, it has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders. Anything larger than a can drink is liable to fall out when you make a turn.

Great Car for the Money
By JRHoyt

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

After 177,000 miles, The only repairs have been a new catalytic converter ($550) and an A/C compressor ($1300). This is a great car for a do-it-yourself mechanic. I now do 99% of the maintenance myself and I expect to keep this car until it reaches 300,000 miles. I bought it new in Jan. 1999. I haven't even had to replace a head light or signal light bulb. I get 36.5 MPG at highway speeds, even after 9 years of use. Around town I get 29 MPG. I wish that was higher.

Favorite Features

it gets great fuel economy and is easy to work on.

Great Car!
By civicman

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

This car just crossed 170000 miles. It was bought new after its model year, so my dad and I are the only owners. The only thing that was ever REALLY wrong was that the exhaust came apart under the car (as it did with two other Civics I know of). It was easily and cheaply replaced. Around 160000 I started hearing a whirring, and took it to the transmission place. They said it needed to be rebuilt, but couldn't point to an exact cause. I did it, and the noise is gone (or maybe just diminished), but I've since become convinced I was ripped off. I expect to get another 80000 miles out of it at least, and I'd rather buy a new engine for it than a new car!

Favorite Features

The car is really easy to work on, there is an infinite market for parts to customize it, it's very light and pretty quick in spite of its low power numbers (106hp/105lbft), best of all it doesn't ever break. (Notice that when I took it in it was only a noise, the car NEVER broke down in its life.)

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats and even more power. Both of which I'll happily take care of myself! I wish it had a sunroof like the '99-'00 Si models.

What a great car
By cruizinone

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Since I owned this car, I put a total of 650.00 into repairs (brakes & tires) This is one GREAT car. Never lets me down and does not need a lot of maint. Thanks GOD, the car is lucky if I remember to put oil in it. This car is so much fun to drive. Even my friends ask to drive it. I have been told that this car will run for 200,000 + miles. This is my first honda and I am looking to get another, if something should ever happen to his one.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, low maint.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort of the driver seat.

happy honda customer
By DANIMAL

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I BOUGHT THIS CAR ON 11/5/98. BRAND NEW. AS OF 10/28/04, I HAVE PUT APPROXIMATELY 126,000 ON IT. I PUT 33,000 CITY MILES ON IT WITH 2 DELIVERY JOBS IN THE FIRST YEAR. THROUGHOUT OWNERSHIP, THE CAR HAS: 1) SEEN BUFFALO NY WINTERS 2) BEEN USED TO DELIVER PIZZAS WITH & 3) HAS SEEN SEVERAL THRUWAY MILES COMMUTING TO COLLEGE CAMPUSES. THIS CAR HAS SEEN A LOT...AND KEEPS ON KICKING. INCREDIBLE RELIABILITY! HAS NEVER BURNED A DROP OF OIL. I ONLY AM GETTING RID OF IT CUZ I WANT TO GET A BIGGER CAR. THIS IS PARTICULARLY PERFECT FOR A STUDENT. GOOD ON GAS..34CITY/42HIGHWAY

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY, GAS MILEAGE, & THE USER FRIENDLY FACTOR (MANUVERABILITY AND SMOOTH STEERING/SHIFTING).

Suggested Improvements

THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS IF YOU LIVE IN A SNOW CITY, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN ADEQUATE SET OF ALL-SEASONS (OR BETTER YET SNOWS). DESPITE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, THE CAR'S FRONT DOESN'T WEIGH MUCH. TIRE-SPINNING AND LOSS OF STEERING IS AN ISSUE WITHOUT GOOD TREADED TIRES.

My Honda From Hell
By Blondie2

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

Almost immediately after purchasing my car, I found that the car was not shifting correctly. The crack staff at Plaza Auto Mall which changes weekly decided that I needed a transmission. That was replaced and I am still not happy with the performance of the auto. I also have a problem with the gas pedal. It is very difficult to push down and there is not a smooth follow through. There are other problems that I have with the car but it would take too long to write about.

Favorite Features

I don't have any.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are uncomfortable and the car seems to be to low to the ground. I think that Honda should also see to it that their dealers pay more attention to customer complaints especially from women.