Used 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my DX
By HunterXhatch

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Got it earlier this year. I love this little car. I have rebuilt the 1.5L motor and but the B16 head on it so I could wire in VTEC. Have K&N Cool air intake. Love the 5 spd tranny. Repainted the car SI blue and added keyless entry and alarm system. Gets amazing gas mileage, right at 38 highway. Wish that interior had cup holders but thats it. Love the vinyl headliner. Has a a lot of room despite its size. Love how low it sits. It's a real head turner. I would never own anything other than a civic dx hatch again.

Favorite Features

5 spd tranny, hot heat, manual windows, low clearance, body styling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders. But I can't complain nothing will outlive a Honda. This is my third one.

Poor man's prius
By netpokerstar

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car because I live in California, the state with the highest gas prices in the continental U.S. I would recommend this car for gas mileage only. No appreciable luxury. Dated styling, unless you put a body kit on it. O.K. performance if you are willing to push the motor to the max, which is very unwise if you want an old car to last!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Seats pretty comfortable for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Get a Camaro, Mustang, or anything more deluxe if you want to get any self respect for owning a nice car!

1990 Honda Hatch Civic
By Philup

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Ive had my Civic for at least mths and I love it. I have modded it some, far has halo projector headlight, smoked turn signals, fog lights, intake n such. I have maintained it extremely well. I love it, the car is fun to drive, easy to park, the carb will play with ya sometimes far as power but overall the car is wonderful. I will prob keep it long as it runs and then get a small rebuild kit and drive it some more!

Favorite Features

Mine civic came with the 4 spd gear box which the gears are long but its alright, gives it a old school sporty feel like a shelby cobra..lol Like the bucket seats and the dash layout.

Suggested Improvements

5 spds are better on gas so I prefer a 5spd trans. More hp, 90 or 95 hp just isn't cuttin it but with the right mods to a D15 it can be quick. Also the wheel wells rust easily so you have to keep an eye on them. Also the rack and pinion goes bad overtime so need to keep and eye on that. Great car!!

Keeps going, and going, and going...
By Honda Happy

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought a 1990 Civic to save gas. this car has 170,000 miles on it and still runs great! I'm very pleased with the durability. It has survived many years of northern Minnesota weather but continues to run like a new car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

Why can,'t they all be '90 Civics?
By Doug

1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car from my brother-in-law with 75,000 miles. It has been a great car. In summer I get 40+ mpg although I do mostly highway miles. No gizmos just basic transportation. The mileage is comparable to hybrids but this vehicle was built 18 years ago. I wish Honda would offer an updated version of the '90 Civic with simplicity, convenience, and quality in mind. This is probably the best car I ever owned.

Favorite Features

Basic, simple transportation. The only statement this car makes is when you go to fill it up.

Suggested Improvements

Better defroster. The windows really fog up in the rain or when there a more than two people in the car.