Used 1990 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

yeah it's a great car

God bless the Rex
By Hoffman

1990 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback Si 2dr Coupe

God blessed the CRX with light weight great fuel economy and the ability to swap various other Honda and Acura engines into it.The only car I will ever want.

4 wheel disc brakes and vtec

Swap a integera engine into it

BUY ONE!
By will.see

1990 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

I bought my CRX HF with 177,000 miles on it. In 7 months, I put over 50,000 more on it before someone failed to look before pulling into an intersection. The only mechanical issue was a sticky brake caliper. I get 40 MPG on the interstate, 50 MPG on the highway. My Civic hatchback had over 340,000 on it befor the engine went belly up(Even then. I sold it for $250, no haggeling, and it was in the paper for one day). This would have esilly gone as far. These things are getting hard to find - if you find one, buy it! I may well spend more money than it would cost to buy another car just to put this back on the road. They're that good.

OUTSTANDING fuel economy! Looks good, handles good, rock solid reliability.

Spend the money to get the A/C working if needed, all that glass makes it HOT in the summer. Use honda timming belts only. Go to Wal Mart and get a headlight reminder, They're cheap and easy to instal.

honest CRX review
By arjay

1990 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback Si 2dr Coupe

It's a fun drive due to low profile, good acceleration, and good cornering. Mileage is good, 32 mpg - 37 mpg depending on whether I'm driving 'nice' or not. I've parked this car in amazingly small spots (helps in packed lots). By putting the front seat down and leaving the hatch up, I have also used it to haul stereo PA setups, lumber, and decent sized bulky loads...it's a good workhorse. Maintenance after 13 years: new engine mounts, minor oil leak, repack L/F bearings, replace ALL front CVs :(, and the most expensive replace everything that drives the moonroof (previous owner let it rust).

Small turning radius, large cargo capability, immortal engine?...just passed 188,000 miles :) and still runs great!

Inside center storage compartment/armrest flimsy and cracked when I rested my arm on it. The carpet in back is fuzzy and hard to vacuum. I hope when Honda comes out with the CRX again, (they've just GOT to!) they don't mess up the design...keep it small and neat-looking!

17 years and still going strong
By mh718

1990 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback Si 2dr Coupe

I bought my Honda CRXsi new in 1986. It has been all over in all kinds of weather, including harsh winters (did great). No major problems in 17 years. I still have the ORIGINAL CLUTCH! I've put 160K on it. Time for a new car, but what? I tried the Mini Cooper, but I was put off by the plasticky interior and front visibility. Too used to my CRX. I left the dealership in my rusty CRX and drove down the West Side Highway, thinking I should just get the bodywork done. Now I'm looking at the VW GTI—it almost even looks like a CRX, but I've heard some bad things. SUVs that have forced out the production of truly fun-to-drive and economical cars like the CRX.

The handling, the zippiness, the turning radius and the ability to squeeze into small spaces.

Rust is becoming an issue and it has a chronic problem with leaks, but still really fun to drive. Zips and handles like no other car I've driven. Backseat would be nice.