2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2003 Accord Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Sort Reviews by

2003 Honda Accord EX - 6 cyl
By wallyk2

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed my car, but the transmission had to be replaced at 40,000 miles, 2 of 3 catalytic convertor stages had to be replaced in less than 120,000 miles, and the oxygen sensor twice...now my heat "blend doors" have to be replaced (which entails removing the entire dashboard).

Favorite Features

6 cyl engine, cabin layout, roominess including trunk

Failed Transmission
By willm3

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car but transmission is not dependable. I would not buy this car unless you are a transmission mechanic.

Suggested Improvements

Replace transmission and fix power steering pump noise.

Scared
By bigjohn112

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I had read more reviews before buying this car for my daughters first. I found this car at a dealer. One owner, 119K, no wrecks, no damage. Car looked a drove great. AC did not blow as cold as I thought it should but they checked it and replaced a sensor. I am going to change the transmission fluid as soon as possible. But with all the talk about tranny problems I find myself listening for odd noised and weird shifting . We have only had it a few days, but may end up wishing I had got a 2004+

Favorite Features

Nice car. Comfortable and plenty of power for the size

So far so good
By dannyboy

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my new Accord LX in 2003. I still average 35 MPH on the freeway. The only problems I have encountered were the gear shift knob ($20) and the brake light switch ($150). So far no transmission problems. Brakes still good.

Not So Sure About Honda Anymore
By uthookem

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used in 2007 with 60, 000 from a Honda dealership. I always noticed that this car didn't have the smoothest downshifting, but other than that, it was great. I'm now at 125, 000 and it shifts hard quite a bit. Within the past months on 2 occasions it has refused to accelerate with my foot on the gas, and the check engine and TCS lights immediately come on. After reading many other reviews and complaints about this car, I'm sure I know what's about to happen...

Favorite Features

The body style and interior are very nice and built well, true quality. However, the problems await under the hood of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission.

Fantastic car! The best ever for me.
By snowatcher

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to write this review, as I have never felt about any car like I do about this one. When I bought it new in February 03, I thought it was the best value compared to competition. 10 years and 150K miles later, it proved to be more than that. It's super reliable, comfortable, runs like new, it brings the smile to my face every time I drive it. I do my own maintenance, which is really easy on this car. The things that went wrong: radio display (fixed by dealer for free), and brakes. I got tired replacing pads every 40K miles, so I put on Centric rotors and Akebono pads myself - best upgrade possible! OEM level performance, but much longer life and no dust. Highly recommended car!

Hitting 10 years
By emc8

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new Dec 02. I only have 73k miles on it. Reading all the other reviews I am wondering if I need to get rid of it. In the last 14 months I have to replace 3 different sensors to the tune of $1,200. The engine sounds louder than ever.. this is my 5th Honda and have always loved them. My fear if I keep it is the transmission will go based on other reviews. The exterior looks fair at best and this car has been garage kept.

Great first car!
By 03hondaaccord

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first car, a 2003 Honda Accord Lx (4 cylinder w/ Automatic.) I absolutely love it, it is good looking, comfortable, affordable, and drives perfectly. I bought mine used w/ 51743 miles on it and when driving at freeway speeds (65+) there is not a single squeak or rattle. Although the interior is a tan fabric, it has been very well maintained and all seats are very comfortable. If you are looking for your first car or just a replacement, this is a perfect choice.

Favorite Features

Manual height adjustment driver seat, Passthrough back seat, Fold down back seat, and "SULEV" engine are just a few of my favorite features. The base 160hp, 4 cylinder "SULEV" engine is almost perfect, it only falls down when overtaking on the freeway. Other than that, it is peppy enough to be all the engine you need, and unlike a high-horsepower V8, you will actually use all of what the engine has to offer more of the time.

Suggested Improvements

When you open the truck with the key-fob, it pops open a good 4", then rests at 2", I think Honda should have put in a more powerful spring. (Most likely my spring needs to be replace, it is a 9 year old car.) Also, the driver and passenger front doors open pretty wide, almost too wide when you go to close them while sitting in the car. Lastly, when shutting the doors and pulling on the handles, they feel a little light, but that is just nit-picking.

2003 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr
By hollandsc

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Background: original owner, 148k miles, new transaxle @ 45k, new output shaft oil seal @ 145k, new struts @ 145k, and every warning light that could have come on has come on. I need to mention that it has been in four wrecks – all due to being hit from behind while stopped. With this said, I do all repair work myself on this car and all of my other cars. This Honda is a little “touchy” because of the number of sensors. This is good or bad; good if you fix the issue because the car knows if there is an issue or bad if you want to ignore the problem and don’t want to know about it. Parts are readily available, cheep & the car is easy to fix. No matter the car (I have had just about every

Bad MechanicaL Design & Poor reliability
By newstripes

2003 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My experience with this car has been far from the perception og Hondas go forever, are reliable and great quality. We are experiencing the well known problems of excess oil consumption & timing chain issues. It seems the design of the engine & car makes it very dificult & costly to repair this requiring about 14hours of Labor according to our Honda Dealer. This car usues the most oil of any car i ever owned (3L per 5K) and has cost the most to maintain this year at so far $2000! Now This $2000+!!! all at 80,000 miles (130K Km).

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to address this common problem witha recall or extended warranty as most cars that need a timing Belt are well under $1000 to repair. As for the Accords common consumption of 1lite of oil per 1500 miles I think is shit! I have had several vehicles that went over 150,000 miles using less oil over 10,000 miles. Not what I expected from the manufacturers reputation for quality, durability and reliability.................