Good truck
By Capt Phil on
1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB
Bought this Sonoma used, from private party, but was a previous utility company truck. It had about 70,000 miles then, and now has 130,000. It's handy, and has hauled well over a ton(!) in the bed, plus towing a heavy trailer. The 4wd shift lever on the floor is far superior to the later push-button models, which are much more complicated, more expensive to repair, and cannot be shifted on-the-fly, as the floor lever can be (2wd to 4wd hi, only - you have to stop to get it into lo 4wd). All in all, a robust little truck, easy to get into the tight off-road places I've taken it. I also have a lumber rack, which can put excessive strain on the bed supports. I had mine reinforced.
Favorite Features
Reliable 4wd, easy handling, good off-road capability with 235-75/15 tires. Nice load/tow capabilities. Better transmission & cheaper to repair than older models. 4.3L V-6 seems like a good, strong engine to me.
Suggested Improvements
Reinforce bed with welded steel underneath, if you use a lumber rack. Shoulder/belt harness mechanism is crap. Indicator lights on 4wd lever failing. Transmission reputed to fail sometime after 90,000, but mine is still going at 130,000.