2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
GMC Sierra 1500
By gmcgfx on 07/27/11 21:00 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a GMC Sierra I bought second-hand with the optional GFX package. I really like the extra exterior/interior features such as two tone paint, stripe on the side, carbon fibre dash, white gauges etc. At first the 4WD did not work, however after a quick cleaning of the connection from the wire bundle to the solenoid on the side of the transfer case, I have had no problems. It came with the 5.3L aluminum block engine and pulls quite hard. Tow/Haul mode is great for uphill towing. The cab had an annoying grinding noise which was quickly remedied with some hockey tape on the cab door latches. Overall, a great work truck and daily driver.

Weak drive train
By Hwy363 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Not a bad truck until the warranty was up. Before then, the only thing to go wrong was the rear door latch adjustment. It worked well in winter (western Canada), got great highway mileage and was reasonably comfortable. For the past two years the following have gone wrong: transmission replaced at 65K, 4WD position sensor replaced three times, tie rods twice, front hubs once. My mileage is 4/5 highway / 1/5 gravel. Its never been driven hard and has had very little mountain driving. Fit and finish are not great but not bad either. Accessories still all work. I bought the truck after having an Olds Alero and Saturn Ion (both had serious drive train issues). I won't buy anything from GM again.

Not happy for a few years
By Mike on 07/31/10 22:19 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

When I purchased my truck almost 5 years ago, it has had a popping sound coming from the front end. It has been to the dealership 3 times, parts replaced each time. Worked well for the last couple of years, than it has started the popping again. Driver side door sounds like it is falling apart for the last 4 years. Had that repaired before and after a couple of years it is again sounding like it's falling apart. For the last 12 years I've owned 2 GMC Trucks and have enjoyed them. Since this is my second truck and I do enjoy it besides the repeating problems I wouldn't mind owning a 3rd, however the window stickers are a little out of my range now.

05 GMC EXT CAB SLT Z-71
By Lee on 04/03/10 19:58 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this certified used truck with 52,000 on it the black exterior and gray leather were spotless and everything works as new from heated seats, xm radio, on star etc. I have added a lot of aftermarket chrome parts and a dual cat back system, K&N intake and Hyperteck programmer. I've been thinking of brighter headlights Silverstone, and it'll be a keeper with the 100,000 mile extended warranty the 5.3 is working just fine so far and next oil change will be Mobil 1 at 5000 mile interval will report problems when they start so far so good.

Mostly Happy
By RMcGee on 08/25/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As soon as I saw this vehicle I loved it. Victory Red w/ GMC 20" wheels. I am on my 3rd year and just under 36k miles. I have pulled my 22' boat to the Ozarks which is around 300 miles each way through some hilly country. The truck shifts down a lot to keep up the RPM's. The interior seems a little on the cheap side & reminds me of some Mattel toys I had as a kid. I did have the intermediate shaft in the steering fixed at 25k miles. Now that my warranty is up my check engine light is on and I guess the vaccum canister needs replaced which is $500(for plastic). Overall I love the truck and use it for everything from towing to hauling. I just wish the standard warranty was 100k.

Will Never own anything but GMC
By Steve on 08/20/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This 2005 Pickup is my 3rd GMC pickup I have owned and I have never had any issues at all with all of them. This 2005 is probably the best one yet, It's rugged, tough, stirdy. Drives like a real truck. Stay true GMC your pickups are the best.

I wish I bought a Dodge
By joe on 01/23/08 18:47 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Was a decent truck when I bought it. But it wouldn't tow worth a dang, piston slap, horrible trans, creaks, squeaks, parts breaking, clunking from steering shaft, burnout lights, sound system, tires, brakes, and so much more wrong with it. My 2nd gm and last. I'm buying a Dodge.

2005 hd review
By Roger on 12/07/07 10:41 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, has served well in snowy to over 100 temps. Have hauled trailers and 10000 pounds of hay with no problems, using t/h switch is very good as it lowers tranny temp. 53 k miles with 0 problems. avergage mileage is 13.2. Not bad for a 9600 GVW rating with 410 axle. Hauls 3000 pounds of block in bed with no problems.

Bad experience
By Frank Leslie on 10/28/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Intermediate steering shaft made noises, steering rack had to be replaced. A/C will not work on inside air setting. Other than this, the vehicle is pretty good.

If it onlly could turn better!!
By Rich M on 07/27/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is as comfortable as any car I have owned. It has decent gas mileage and enough power for most needs (5.3L).