Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

GMC Sierra 1500
By gmcgfx

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a GMC Sierra I bought second-hand with the optional GFX package. I really like the extra exterior/interior features such as two tone paint, stripe on the side, carbon fibre dash, white gauges etc. At first the 4WD did not work, however after a quick cleaning of the connection from the wire bundle to the solenoid on the side of the transfer case, I have had no problems. It came with the 5.3L aluminum block engine and pulls quite hard. Tow/Haul mode is great for uphill towing. The cab had an annoying grinding noise which was quickly remedied with some hockey tape on the cab door latches. Overall, a great work truck and daily driver.

Carbon fiber dash pannel, white gauges, a sharp looking truck. Comfortable on long drives, roomy enough for six 20 year old people to ride comfortably (perhaps a little cramped, ext. cab). Driving carefully, the truck computer shows I get 18 MPG combined. I calculated up to 25 highway, very reasonable for a 5.3L I thought. Warrenty is long gone, however lots of room under the hood makes oil/spark plug changes very easy (the reason I don't have a Ford).

Some things I thought could be better are the dash board design, though simple and trouble-free, it looks cheap and lacks innovation. Also I dont like the factory GM radio. This is an easy fix though - aftermarket deck. I love the engineering, some of the design is lacking though. A problem GM should really adress.

Weak drive train
By Hwy363

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Not a bad truck until the warranty was up. Before then, the only thing to go wrong was the rear door latch adjustment. It worked well in winter (western Canada), got great highway mileage and was reasonably comfortable. For the past two years the following have gone wrong: transmission replaced at 65K, 4WD position sensor replaced three times, tie rods twice, front hubs once. My mileage is 4/5 highway / 1/5 gravel. Its never been driven hard and has had very little mountain driving. Fit and finish are not great but not bad either. Accessories still all work. I bought the truck after having an Olds Alero and Saturn Ion (both had serious drive train issues). I won't buy anything from GM again.

Comfortable to ride in long distances. Great fuel economy with the 4.8. Some nice interior features. Nice looking exterior without all the over-the-top styling seen on 2005 era Fords and especially Dodges.

The great fuel mileage comes at a price. GM pushes the mileage numbers by programming the transmissions to shift to OD as much as possible which causes a lot of internal stress. Strong headwinds at 60 mph mean driving in 3rd! Weak transmissions and 4WD components just aren't up to the job.

Not happy for a few years
By Mike

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

When I purchased my truck almost 5 years ago, it has had a popping sound coming from the front end. It has been to the dealership 3 times, parts replaced each time. Worked well for the last couple of years, than it has started the popping again. Driver side door sounds like it is falling apart for the last 4 years. Had that repaired before and after a couple of years it is again sounding like it's falling apart. For the last 12 years I've owned 2 GMC Trucks and have enjoyed them. Since this is my second truck and I do enjoy it besides the repeating problems I wouldn't mind owning a 3rd, however the window stickers are a little out of my range now.

Long drives are comfortable. It has plenty of room inside the cab. Body style is a classic.

Start building all GM products in the US again. Have more QC personal staffed on the line.

05 GMC EXT CAB SLT Z-71
By Lee

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this certified used truck with 52,000 on it the black exterior and gray leather were spotless and everything works as new from heated seats, xm radio, on star etc. I have added a lot of aftermarket chrome parts and a dual cat back system, K&N intake and Hyperteck programmer. I've been thinking of brighter headlights Silverstone, and it'll be a keeper with the 100,000 mile extended warranty the 5.3 is working just fine so far and next oil change will be Mobil 1 at 5000 mile interval will report problems when they start so far so good.

driving position

better heat/ac controls, shorter turning radius.

Mostly Happy
By RMcGee

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As soon as I saw this vehicle I loved it. Victory Red w/ GMC 20" wheels. I am on my 3rd year and just under 36k miles. I have pulled my 22' boat to the Ozarks which is around 300 miles each way through some hilly country. The truck shifts down a lot to keep up the RPM's. The interior seems a little on the cheap side & reminds me of some Mattel toys I had as a kid. I did have the intermediate shaft in the steering fixed at 25k miles. Now that my warranty is up my check engine light is on and I guess the vaccum canister needs replaced which is $500(for plastic). Overall I love the truck and use it for everything from towing to hauling. I just wish the standard warranty was 100k.

Dual climate control. Digital readout info on the radio tells the artist and the song name. Good fuel economy and a smooth ride for a 4WD.

Longer std. warranty. Higher quality interior pieces. Better painting process on plastic parts. The paint on the plastic below the chrome on my front bumper is pealing off bad. Heard from a ex-GM body man this is common.