1998 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 98 Taurus - more than

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

98 Taurus - more than just a Hertz renta
By Ray Bennett on

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Taurus has seen an unusual combination of highway and city mileage since I bought it (new). The V6 has plenty of pick up and it cruises nicely. The ride is above average, although there is less road noise in the newer models (I travel and rent a lot). ONLY problem has been that once I changed the factory brakes, we went through pads like crazy. Just went back to factory, and now its fine. The paint wears well, and the vehicle, when clean, always surprises me with that "new" look. 75,000 miles and counting. Handles well, with just a touch of body roll - but keeping good tires on it keeps it fun to drive.

Favorite Features

6-CD changer in the trunk was a real bonus in 98. Also, the AC is exceptionally good and doesn't appear to load the engine at all.

Suggested Improvements

An "overdrive off" button for downhills. A slightly greater range of motion (more amplitude in every direction) on the power drivers seat. A more friendly location for the oil filter.