2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Drove my truck for 12 years, now it needs a clutch
By 4wdona2wd on 07/10/14 04:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My truck had not been in a shop for mechanical repairs till this year, it is 12 years old, it has over 150,000 miles. Took it to the shop, to get a clutch, and the mechanic said it didn't give him any trouble, however, it is starting to jam when I am shifting gears, so I will have to take it back. It has been on dirt mountain roads where only 4wd jeeps were spotted, and it has seen a lot of beautiful country all along the Blue Ridge, Smokies, and other great mountain terrain. This is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.. If not the best.

One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
By jammerx1 on 08/02/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002, for about $12k. Currently has 130k miles on it. Outside of tires, brakes, a clutch ( taught a teenage girl how to drive a stick ) plugs and a heater control valve, this has been a great vehicle. The best vehicle we have ever owned. I used it to commute, then my wife used it to commute, then we gave it to our teenage daughter. My daughter has hit or been hit more than once and it keeps trucking. Drove home this past weekend with coolant steaming all over. Dad somethings wrong with my truck. A new 17 dollar HCV and out she went. Admittedly she beats the crap out of it, but it has made thru highschool and 1/2 thru college. A really great truck.

Best vehicle EVER!!
By glm75 on 05/12/13 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and barely had any problems during the 13 years i owned it. I performed regular maintinence as suggested and drove this truck to 200,000 miles until someone rearended me. During those 200k, i replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSORE at 120k, the coil pack at 178k, fan clutch at 180k and manual transmission broke at 185k (i should have never tried to drive from NJ to New Orleans...too far for and older truck with so many miles) and the plastic intake manifold at 190k. So besided breaks and tires, i drove it for 13 years and only had 4 repairs. not bad... All options worked as they should from new until it was totaled. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER!

As cheap as it gets
By dalbunosky on 03/02/12 00:13 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Parents got the truck thanks to house remodeling and continued house work. Ours was an automatic. Its fit and finish is seriously rough! I understand that it is bare-bones, but does the gear indicator have to be so...off? The engine is too weak and shakes the car like a manual on 3rd gear during take-off, but decent MPGs for a truck though, around mid-20s. Brakes are sensitive and effective. Feels like I am about to fall off the seat when turning. Middle "seat" is completely useless, and I don't know if the feds count it as one. Lost a lot of things thanks to a shallow pit of a door rail/handle.

Survived a 60mph accident and walked away
By dwiglesworth on 12/24/10 22:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. I loved to drive it and it handles well. I would buy another ford ranger again and again. I was driving and hit a patch of sand on a corner and the back end slipped out from under me and I was doing about 60mph side ways when I slammed into a steal pole. It hit just a little bit infront of the drivers door. The complete dash was broken in 2 and all the windows were shattered. This was a very very very serious crash and I was able to get out and walk away with no major injuries. I was wearing my seat belt and the air bags did not deploy. I only suffered minor cuts to the face from my head breaking the drivers window. I thank this truck from being able to save my life.

My 1st truck, Love it!
By ERS on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a big ford fan, but i wanted fuel economy and some power and reliability! This truck has towed and pushed 2 trucks already, with no problem, good power for a 4 cylinder. Just wish it was 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed

Tough as nails
By Trouble Maker on 02/10/10 21:14 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am 19, in college, and have had this truck since I could drive in highschool. I can already tell you I have put more abuse in this truck in the time i've had it than most ever deserve. I've juiced the ol' Trouble Maker up since getting it, various engine upgrades, exhaust, and now I have the numbers to 175 horses and 200+ fp of torque in the EXTREMELY outdated Vulcan 3.0. Not particularly fast, (though geared very well) and fuel mileage leaves alot to be desired, the one thing this motor and truck has is unwavering, stubborn loyalty. Since having it I have pulled heavier trucks out of steep trails, and had many adventures where my truck was the star. all without any problems. At all.

Very good bargain
By cecild on 04/20/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Use it to deliver pizzas 30 hours a week for almost 2 years. Almost all miles city driving. Despite me having the 4 cylinder and 2wd I did alot of stupid things every weekend in the mud with the truck and it refused to break down. The interior may be akward for someone over about 6 feet tall. Could get better mileage for a 4 cyl. but is not bad. Surprisingly powerful for a 4 cylinder but will not blow anyone off the road by any means. I also use it to tow a small john boat once or twice a week in the summer and will load the bed to the top in ice/hot dogs for work and still performed well. Would suggest this truck to anyone who wants a small pick up for work or play. Trucks a good bargain.

Excellent Choice
By Chris on 05/11/08 07:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Ranger Edge to replace my 1999 Mustang because my wife and I needed the cargo space. I could not be more happy with the choice. I have spent a lot of time travelling with work and lived in Japan for 3 years, so the truck has very low mileage (just went over 25k). All I have had to do is change the oil, and purchase new battery/tires when I got back from Japan. It runs like a champion.

Basic truck
By Michael Kinney on 03/16/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a basic no frills truck. Have had no real problems except for the rear window. This leaks and I have tried everything and can't seem to get it fixed. Not a race car. Small 4 cyl. does not have the poop to haul or tow much of anything. It is a basic, small utility truck. Mileage is nothing to be proud of. Factory tires stink. On wet roads the back end has lost traction and sent me into all three lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent $400 and got better tires! No more problems. Don't drive these small trucks on snow or ice! You're asking for trouble. They are too light in the rear unless you load something heavy into it..