Used 1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Rangers...they run, no matter how ugly it gets.
By stevec81

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this Ranger as an used vehicle in 2003; since then I've put just under 100,000 miles on it. It's a XLT regular cab with a long bed and the 4.0 V6/automatic. While not necessarily in the market for a truck, I needed a vehicle to drive, and it was the right price. For the most part, it is true that these things last forever and that these things are hard to kill. However, unless they are taken care of better than perfectly, they have a tendency to attract dents and rust like a magnet.

Even though this was an XLT, the interior fabric and carpet is very hard-wearing (it helps that mine had dark-tinted windows). Fairly good visibility. Comfortable seats (this one had the split-folding cloth bench seat)

For those who want trucks, make them again! Better rust protection (rust protection to begin with?) Single-piece opening rear window (not the split in the rearview mirror) Cupholders (there are none)

1990 Plain Jane
By steve

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought in 2009 with 25,000 original mi. certified on Carfax. This is as basic of a truck as you can get. No power steering or radio. But a great small work truck. Added a CD player myself. Other than oil changes no maintenance has been needed.

2.3 liter 4 cyl is not big on power but it gets just shy of 29(!) mpg. Cheap and simple. Cheap 14" tires.

A little more power would be nice and power steering for my wife.

Last Ford I'll Own
By Allen Sackett

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased the Ranger XLT longbed new in 1990 and wish there had been a lemon law in place at that time (there is now). After a few thousand miles I had to have the dealer install a new rear axle as the old one was being worn in two! I purchased the Ford rust protection. At 270,000 miles it is now pile of rust in spite of regular waxes and washes (it was showing signs of rust at 150,000 miles)! At 133,000 miles: installed rebuilt engine: I have now put more miles into the rebuilt than the factor engine! The check engine light continues to come off in spite of having dealers look at it.

The color choices were nice. I liked the two tone blue/silver exterior. The interior has worn very well. Manual transmission has had no problems.

2.3L 4-cylinder is a wimp. I can only use overdrive downhill with the wind behind me! Lessons learned: buy a Toyota Tacoma and have it Zeibarted. It will last forever.

Not for me.
By Eurotuner

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I actually had an '88, but I figured 2 years wouldnt be that much of a difference. Mine was a 5 speed, and it was very difficult to drive. If you want this truck definitely get an automatic. I had the 2.3 liter engine, I would suggest the V6. The truck was pretty tough. But there were so many problems all over the truck, that I put more than it was worth to get fixed. I really wouldn't suggest the truck unless you're just going to use it every once in a while.

The seats were pretty comfortable. The parts were easy to remove and install.

If this is going to be an everyday driver... dont get it.

Old truck
By Keiko

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck was my late fathers work truck. It works well and runs great but a 2.3L engine in a truck is a little small however it has been really reliable with 274,000 miles on it. Even in Chicago with our cold winters and sometimes hot summers it always starts.

I like the fact it has been used hard and continues to run, I am in the market for another truck

Interior is a little tight for 2 people and a 3.0 V6 should be a standard engine along with A/C which my truck does not have.