1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Rangers...they run, no matter how ugly it gets.
By stevec81 on 06/19/14 02:16 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this Ranger as an used vehicle in 2003; since then I've put just under 100,000 miles on it. It's a XLT regular cab with a long bed and the 4.0 V6/automatic. While not necessarily in the market for a truck, I needed a vehicle to drive, and it was the right price. For the most part, it is true that these things last forever and that these things are hard to kill. However, unless they are taken care of better than perfectly, they have a tendency to attract dents and rust like a magnet.

1990 Plain Jane
By steve on 02/02/10 07:51 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought in 2009 with 25,000 original mi. certified on Carfax. This is as basic of a truck as you can get. No power steering or radio. But a great small work truck. Added a CD player myself. Other than oil changes no maintenance has been needed.

Last Ford I'll Own
By Allen Sackett on 06/01/05 10:18 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased the Ranger XLT longbed new in 1990 and wish there had been a lemon law in place at that time (there is now). After a few thousand miles I had to have the dealer install a new rear axle as the old one was being worn in two! I purchased the Ford rust protection. At 270,000 miles it is now pile of rust in spite of regular waxes and washes (it was showing signs of rust at 150,000 miles)! At 133,000 miles: installed rebuilt engine: I have now put more miles into the rebuilt than the factor engine! The check engine light continues to come off in spite of having dealers look at it.

Not for me.
By Eurotuner on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I actually had an '88, but I figured 2 years wouldnt be that much of a difference. Mine was a 5 speed, and it was very difficult to drive. If you want this truck definitely get an automatic. I had the 2.3 liter engine, I would suggest the V6. The truck was pretty tough. But there were so many problems all over the truck, that I put more than it was worth to get fixed. I really wouldn't suggest the truck unless you're just going to use it every once in a while.

Old truck
By Keiko on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck was my late fathers work truck. It works well and runs great but a 2.3L engine in a truck is a little small however it has been really reliable with 274,000 miles on it. Even in Chicago with our cold winters and sometimes hot summers it always starts.

217,000 and counting!
By The stRanger on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My Ranger has been a great truck. Will soon surpass 217,000 miles with no major problems. Fun to drive. Good acceleration when downshifting to pass. Smooth handling for a truck. Capable off road and on.

Transmission
By Jonathon Goff on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 1990 ford Ranger and have had to replace the trans twice and the engine once part of it is probably the 16 year old in me but now i am 20 but as far as the engine goes that is becuase of the transmission going out the engine is good but don't trust the Trans overall it has been a good truck

cheap, reliable little truck
By big al on 03/03/02 06:37 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

If your looking for a reliable, easy on fuel (2.3 liter) pick up truck I recommend a ford ranger. I have owned the truck for two years and did not put one cent in repairs.