Used 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Do NOT buy this car
By Madison

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus in September of 2014. I got it Pre-Certified with only 16,000 miles on it. When I test drove it, it was a great ride, pretty quiet, and comfy. I noticed a little jerking when starting from a dead stop and I thought it was just because it was touchier than my old car. So I fell in love with it and purchased it. About 2 months later, the jerking was so bad that my passengers were complaining about it. I took it into McCafferty Ford where I purchased it and had it serviced. The mechanic told me this was a common problem so he "reprogrammed" the transmission and sent me on my way. A month or two later I took it back and the clutch needed to be replaced after putting about 2,000 miles on it. Now, I am going through the same issue for the SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN A YEAR. When I go back to the dealership Thursday, I am claiming lemon law and getting a different car. I also got hit by a tractor trailer when I was merging because the transmission stuck and wouldn't accelerate. It's dangerous. Seriously, don't waste your money.

worst car I have ever owned!
By Melissa

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had problems with this car since I bought it in 2012. It first started with electrical problems, then transmission and now it just won't start. The parts to fix car are expensive. Ford charges 150 just to look at it. I will never buy another Ford! It is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Do not recommend
By Lis

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new back in 2011, I have had issues ever since. Taken to the dealership several times to be fixed and they never get fixed. Mainly transmission and the my ford touch technology. Just terrible.

transmission problems"only 6 months"
By D

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this car 6 months ago. At first I would hear a clicking sound when I slowed down and I took it to the dealership, and they told me that it was not cause of the dual clutch . So I didn't worry about it, but know it has a huge problem, where the engine makes a clicking sound when I turn the car on. When it does this the car wont go pass 30mph. I took it to the dealership about 3 times, were it stay in there for about a week and each time I get it back I drive it about two or three days and the problem comes back. So I figured the dealership doesn't know how to fix it , so they just get it and guess and take your money

Bad Decision
By denise chiles

2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had one problem after another. The door trim fell out, had to buy battery for remote key, Tires had to be replaced, all four in first year. Now my car won't start, no jump works, just won't start! Lights, radio, all electronics work, so far, just won't start-REALLY FORD! This car is a lemon! My sister has same make and model hers stop for no reason also. Ford after 3 times in shop finally told her it's a transmission modular. I hate to find out what mine is.