2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Mixed emotions
By isellthem1 on 11/15/13 16:20 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very impressed with the overall tightness of the platform and build quality is good. It is one of the best looking hatchbacks out there and I love the handling characteristics of this car but I am so pissed off at Ford for making such a fantastic vehicle and equipping it with an absolute joke of an automatic transmission. I love the concept of feeling the direct drive this torque converter-less transmission provides but the shifting dynamics are sub par. This unit should have never been introduced to the public in its current state. Opt for the 5 speed!

It was fun to drive when it ran
By gris1969 on 09/04/13 08:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had my car in a while. Seven weeks ago it broke down and Ford can't seem to fix it and they are on there 3rd try. I have had loaner after loaner waiting. It was a nice car until hitting around 33k miles and then it turned into the joke of my workplace. Maybe I'll get a new one out of the lemon law. I have the manual transmission and the problem with the car is when you go to start it, it tries to start but shuts right off.

Price/Quality
By nataliasturza on 02/04/13 08:07 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my focus se for about half a year now and drove almost 6.000 miles. It was used with about 30.000 miles, however, can say for sure, I am totally in love with this car. The performance is above average, I have about 32 MPG, although, read the previous comments about 35-40, so will work on my driving skills improvement. The driving process is smooth and light, sometimes it seems that it drives by itself. Besides, I completely adore the design of the car, the big "eyes" and pretty "butt" always catch attention. I was debating between Nissan Versa, Mazda 3 and Ford Fiesta and now can say for sure, I made the right choice. Natalia.

The best non-turbo hatchback available.
By redcomet on 01/31/13 23:57 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a '12 Focus SE Sport hatchback with the manual MTX-75 5-speed transmission and 17-inch option wheels, 203A package in May of 2012, and so far am very satisfied with the car. At the price point ($20k), it's an extremely competent little car. The engine has a lot of get up and go (with the TCS off especially), excellent handling, a great gearbox, and a very refined ride. The car regularly returns a combined fuel economy over 30mpg average, and I've gotten nearly 40mpg on the highway. The stock ContiProCotact Continental 215/50/17 tires are alright, though they're holding up surprisingly well in a Northeast winter. Overall, a very fun, affordable, chuckable car. Kudos to Ford

Not one regret about buying the Focus
By matt_sevier on 10/24/12 07:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my '12 Focus SE with sport package and 5 spd manual transmission for a couple months now. I have driven it about 4,000 miles so far and I'm still in love with this little hatchback. The other two cars I was seriously considering when shopping were the Mazda 3 with the SkyactivG and 6 spd manual, and the new '13 Dodge Dart II with the 1.4l multi-air and the 6 spd manual. Based on test drives I found the Dart II to have the best power, but it took quite a trip into the higher end of the tachometer to wring it out. The Mazda, by far, had the slickest transmission, which felt like I was in a Miata, but the interior felt dated and generic. The Focus is was the best all around.

No more Hondas
By no_more_hondas on 09/30/12 07:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This 40-year Honda owner had to rent a car and got an '12 Focus 4-dr. Wow! I went to the dealer and saw a h'back. I drove it with the man/auto 6-spd and was sold. Ordered mine (SE with Sport pkg. and 203A) and have 7K on it in 3 months. NEVER before have I felt like a car was custom built for me. Seat is like a glove, it's fast with smooth acceleration (the initial minor tranny stumble goes away by 1K) and solid as a rock (sorry Chevy). 31 mpg city and 41 hwy for an average since new of 35.4 mpg! It'll blow the doors off most V-6's and the Sync system, while confusing, offers great sound quality. My wife is ditching her '12 Civic for a red '13 H'back to 'one-up' my black '12.

Unhappy 2012 Focus owner
By on 07/05/12 13:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Major issues with transmission!!!...Recall work done (a computer reset???) last week of June. Driving down Hollywood Fwy. at midnight, 4 days later and car just stalls while driving!( full tank of gas) Pull to side of fwy without getting killed by rushing traffic,key is still in on position so turn a notch and car starts... drive onto side street where the car abruptly stalls again. Managed to get car home to Huntington Beach and then fight with HB Ford dealership over such a poor quality car. No resolve from them so stuck here with an unpredictable brand new car....

Skip the Automatic and buy the Manual!
By kevinmillerphx on 06/28/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the SE with the Manual Transmission and the Sport package - and I'm sure glad I did! I have SYNC with none of the MyTouch issues. I have a great transmission with none of the Automatic issues. This car is fantastic! I traded in a 2002 Subaru WRX, so I like power and handling. The 2012 Ford Focus hasn't let me down - it seems much more nimble than my WRX was. The power isn't as great, but I'm sure a few mods will help that department. I considered a Titanium, but decided it wasn't worth it for all the extra hassle. I can install a better sound system than the Sony and really didn't want any of the other challenges. I'm glad I went with the SE!

Great Car
By gris1969 on 04/20/12 19:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a Fusion to the Focus to save money and I don't feel like I down sized. I'm a tall guy and I always get crap about driving small cars but I put my money into my son and not into the tank or payments. I got the 5-speed manual with regular sync system and I just love it. Not much room behind me but I don't have to ride back there so I don't worry about it. I have lots of room up front.

Golfmill Ford Tom Posiewko Thanks
By darryl63 on 04/15/12 14:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went in for an oil change on our 2011 fiesta and left with the 2012 focus hatchback.Loved the service from Tom. He was very attentive to our needs and friendly. Our total experience was simply awesome. We continue to love this dealership in everyway.We look forward to a long and happy relationship with them and ford.Our car is everything we hoped it would be and more.We are not strangers with Ford products we drove the Fiesta a year and was well pleased with it's performance.For service and delivering an excellent car to us we give these guys five stars. Thanks Tom and to your team!!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*