2009 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Buyer beware
By cstainke on 06/28/13 18:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 15k miles on it. Its been one problem after another. It has left us high and dry at least 4 different times where the car wouldnt start at all. 2 times is was due to the fuel pump. The fuel pump went once last Christmas day and we had to stay at a hotel out of town overnight. Then the computer on the car went out not too long ago. Everything was covered by warranty, but what a pain . Then, just yesterday, the car would start but wouldnt shift out of park at the grocery store. Shifter was somehow locked up! It is currently at the dealer and they have no clue why that happened. I will never buy another Ford car. tires wear down very fast also. on 2nd set at 5ok miles sucks

Issues with heated seats, AC, and Alignment. and more that wont fit in review box.
By ownerof2focus on 06/10/13 17:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alignment issues with 09 & my 08 Focus as well. Guy @Alignment shop said Focus's are known for it. Bought 09' when it was 1year old, 8,550 miles. Shortly there after we took trip out west. It was mid summer, 90 degrees, with leather seats & the heated seats kicked on and off several times. Got home & dealer fixed it under warranty. They said they had reports of others with same prob. Not long after warranty was up AC blower set on level 3 would blow hard then soft, then hard again. Because of no warranty I ignored it and dealt with it. Another 50k miles later the vents on left aren't blowing as cool of air as the 2 on right side. Can hear it cycling. Others have reported same issue online

I've had my Focus for over a year now..
By jasebduke3435 on 07/30/12 12:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm like everyone who owns a Ford Focus and can't complain about them. I have a 2009 Ford Focus SEL. I love everything about it. Especally love the Sirius Satellite Radio. I can't go anywhere without listening to it. My mom and dad helped me buy it. It was a birthday gift. My dad was dead set against it. He kept bugging and nagging about how about a Hyundai, Chevy, Toyota, ANYTHING BUT A FORD was his very words. Finally made him come out of his stubborn shell. We went to the dealership where it was, we took a test drive, and he never complained about it ever. How can anyone complain if you can put a full tank of gas and your good for the next 300-400 miles.

Not too shabby at all
By dpf85 on 07/18/12 18:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this little beast in March 2011 after I realized that a soldier's pay just wasn't going to keep allowing me the luxury of owning a Wrangler and getting 14 mpg city (and that's if I was easy on the throttle.) So far I have loved it. I'm not much of a fan of the exterior styling, but it's not terrible. The interior looks nice, and sure some of the material feels slightly cheap, but very bearable when considering cost. The sound system is actually more than impressive for the $. Gas mileage is great as well. Have noticed early wear on my back drivers side tire, too early to tell if it's going to happen again.

great car!
By handle3399 on 01/04/12 18:55 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my SEL for three years -- It feels solid, quiet, peppy now that I added a Ford Speed Werks cold air intake (CAI), and performance plugs... Mileage is great, ride is plush, I put on performance tires - GF-Force to go along with CAI. HP now is estimated at 172...also has a chip. Extremely reliable even in -30 C. I like it better than new one - more distinguished design.

Great Small Car
By gql on 05/14/11 14:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2009 SEL...27000 miles.....30 plus mpg....Very satisfied...would buy again.....Good job Ford!!

Great Car
By april1030 on 04/24/11 21:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Focus for about 2 months and its great. The gas milage is really good and I have had no problems with this car. The SYNC system is a plus but at times the voice active comands won't resgiter. I love being able to use my cell phone hands free while I am driving. The USB port is great because I can listen to my Ipod and charge it too. The area where the USB port is located is very dark at night (it is not illumnated when you turn on the headlights). I find that after I have been driving for a while my knee starts to hurT. It could be because I am only 5 feet tall. Great car for the money!

Second Posting with Updates 1 Year Later
By nannyjune on 01/18/10 16:41 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally wrote complaining about many, many problems. Bottom line was that the car was a piece of junk. Following my posting, Ford offered me an extended warranty for free and finally figured out the problems and "fixed" them. Well, not much has improved. The car is still a piece of junk - but now pieces of the car are falling off.

Solid Little Runner
By Gary in WI on 10/07/09 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new SEL with two options (ABS/ESC and Auto Tranny). I now have 3000 miles on the odometer and the car has performed flawlessly. Gas mileage has been good - 35 mph and getting better. I bought this car as a daily commuter, putting on 75 miles per day and in this regard, it has been ideal. I looked at Madza 3 and the Mini Cooper, but the price-point and simplicity of the Focus appealed to me. Also, having rented many small cars, I have had better-than-average experiences with the Focus. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would do it again.

Get more than you think
By Jim on 09/07/09 14:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SEL because of the leather int, and fuel mileage. I average 33mpg overall city/highway. Because I live in a pzev state (maine) if you want power out if the engine it needs to be around 2500 rpm. Sync is good, stereo is good seats good, arm rest well placed at least for me (tall thin) seems the late model 09 have the trunk release inside and temp and compass. I drive on not the best secondary roads most the time so other than short wheelbase issues no real complaints.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus Sedan in VA is:

$131 per month*